Alcohol & losing weight

Options

Replies

• kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    If you do continue to drink, go for a lighter option like bud light, Miller light, Corona light or cheap beer light. The average beer is like having two carbohydrates. My usual beer has 30 and 15 grams is one slice of white bread. Light beer has less carbs so there ya go.....
  • fitnessgoddess17
    fitnessgoddess17 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I was able to still drink a little till I got to the last 15 pounds then no matter how good I ate or hard I worked out, I couldn't drop a single pound. I had to cut it out all the way in the end to see anymore results.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I've met some pretty skinny alcoholics in my time. They are usually the ones who perfer vodka and gingerale in the morning in place of eggs and toast.

Your liver might hate you but your waistline will thank you!

But I still think a glass of wine and beer a day is perfectly fine if binge drinking alcoholism is not your cup of tea.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    an average of one alcoholic drink a day isn't going to hurt you. in fact, it could help.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/05/10/alcohol/
  • LiveLaffLoseLove
    Options
    Yeah, I really, really loved to drink all the time... I didn't even really snack when I drank, but I "ballooned" over 80 pounds. I have stopped completely for now to get it under control and my doc said I should drop a decent amount in like 2 months once my body works it all out of my system. I would quit completely for just a bit and then limit yourself to a certain day of the week or 1 a day something that is reasonable, but don't overindulge!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Would it be a good idea to cut out alcohol in order to lose weight??

IMO it's only a good idea if you intend to cut it out forever. It's never seemed logical to me to cut anything out just for weight loss that you intend to add back when you get to goal.
  • Mhadmhan
    Options
    I usually drank one-two beers an night three-four nights of the week (and I like microbrews, which tend to have more calories). I tried it for an experiment - one month without any alcohol. I lost 10 lbs and I found I was able to stay below my calorie goal every day with considerably less effort than I used to require. As you can tell using MFP the calories from alcohol can quickly add-up, epecially when you go to a restaurant and they give you much bigger servings.

Plus, I found I had more energy, and I have even had people tell me I look younger and I seem to notice less gray hair! I'm going to resume with a beer here-or-there, but I think I have to say I feel healthier without it. After all, we do use alcohol to kill cells and tissue on purpose in medicine, so...............
  • SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Cut out altogether...blasphemy!

Cut back and allow it to fit within your macros, FTFW!

^^ THIS

When cutting weight, i've done the occassional guinness or tried to stick with light beers...

Get in where you fit in!
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I pretty much had to give it up except on special occasions. Not because of the few drinks because I do not eat badly when I have a few cocktails...

But the next day??? Forget it. I cannot resist a big cheeseburger or pizza or or a McDonalds big breakfast. So I stopped to end the cravings for bad food the next day.
  • ferrahcn
    Options
    Hmmm.. I do like my wine and I have not given that up. I just exercise more and try to make sure I eat all healthy food.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I never gave up wine, gin, beer, more wine...its never been an issue for me.
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I really, really loved to drink all the time... I didn't even really snack when I drank, but I "ballooned" over 80 pounds. I have stopped completely for now to get it under control and my doc said I should drop a decent amount in like 2 months once my body works it all out of my system. I would quit completely for just a bit and then limit yourself to a certain day of the week or 1 a day something that is reasonable, but don't overindulge!

That's the other thing for me. It seems to take at least 3 days anymore before the alcohol is completely out of my system. I just don't feel "right" until the 4th or 5th day which has to affect my workouts. And at my weight now 2 drinks I'm good and 3 sends me over so we are not talking a huge volume here.

I guess my tolerance is just lower as I've lost weight and aged.
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    BarbellBlondieRuns Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I gave it up for about a month at a time twice. Honestly, I lose about 8 pounds a month pretty consistently whether I have it or not. I love beer too and there's no way I'm not having Octoberfest while it's "in season"! lol! Just make sure you have an overall nutritious day, plenty of water, plenty of sleep & exercise... and plenty of happiness! You have to be happy with what you're doing in order to maintain your healthy lifestyle!
  • Moniqua1
    Moniqua1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I like alcohol. I like it alot. I drink every weekend. Has it hindered weight loss? Probably, but I wouldn't know because I'm not giving it up. If I sit at home and I'm bored, I'll eat and sit on the couch. If I drink, I'm out socializing and still consuming calories. The 230 cals in one icecream drumstick equals 3 vodka and sodas with lemon or mio for flavor. Guess which I choose?! Socializing! When I drink, I'll probably end up dancing too, more calories burned! Hahaha, my choices are probably not the healthiest, but they're mine to make and weigh. It's all up to you. Just my 2¢
  • tragicpixie
    Options
    As a fellow beer lover I have to admit beer is like, the WORST thing for a diet. Even if you do it in moderation, most of dark beers are sitting around 200 calories to a pint.

So yeah, beer is basically the devil but on the other hand I just log the calories and I know the calories so on Fridays and Saturdays I "make room" for drinking if it's going to happen. If I were drinking to get drunk though liquor works faster and while it's still high in calories, you can drink less. (Watch the mixers though.)

For the most part though, I don't have a problem as long as I am aware of the calories.
  • survivor1952
    survivor1952 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I have not cut out alcohol but I have cut back. I log it in and adjust my exercise and calorie intake around it.
  • doggiesnot
    doggiesnot Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    an average of one alcoholic drink a day isn't going to hurt you. in fact, it could help.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/05/10/alcohol/

Awesome link! I had forgotten about NerdFitness.com! :)
  • StarLeopard
    StarLeopard Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    My doctor said alcohol without food will decrease my blood glucose and he was right. But he also said to limit it to just one drink and obviously not with a sweet mixer. Other than that it's also supposed to be heart healthy in moderation. I think it works better for reduced carbs than it does for reduced calories.
    Pros: If it helps you sustain your plan over the long haul.
    Cons: if it sabotages your plan over the long haul.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is definitely not good for you in terms of weight loss. It's empty calories, can slow your metabolism, and can encourage you to eat more. Do you have to cut it out? Nah. Will it make losing weight easier? Probably.

I should practice what I preach, but I just got a job at a liquor store, so I'm not cutting it out of my diet anytime soon :laugh: Especially with the paid wine tastings I get to attend.