First 5k -- knowing when you're ready?

Options
I've been running mainly on the treadmill and regularly do the 5k distance (3.11 miles) with a 1% incline. I tried running outside for awhile a few months back, but my knee/ankle started bugging me after a few weeks, so I took a break then went back to the shock-absorbing safety of the padded treadmill.

So, really, my question is, can I run an outside 5k after mainly training on a treadmill? Should I be running larger distances (4-5mi) before I commit to a 5k? There's a run/walk 5k Oct. 27 near me that I'm thinking would be safe -- since worst case scenario I can just start walking.

Bonus question -- it's a Halloween run, how terrible of an idea is it to run in costume for my first 5k? :)

Replies

• dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I would strongly suggest get outside and run as much as possible. Start slow if you have to then work yourself up. I train on the treadmill during the Winter months but as soon as the weather is nice I get outside and it almost feels like I've never ran before when I begin outside running/training.

Outside running will strengthen your legs and stamina better than the treadmill because of the constant changing terrain uphill downhill etc....

Good luck!
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I hadn't been running harldy at all and signed up for a 5K that was a week and a half out. Finished around middle of the pack at 39:06. I say just do it.
  • Double_Tapp
    Options
    You will do fine, if you have been running with an incline you shouldn't have any problems, just run your normal pace and have fun.
  • GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    I've been running mainly on the treadmill and regularly do the 5k distance (3.11 miles) with a 1% incline. I tried running outside for awhile a few months back, but my knee/ankle started bugging me after a few weeks, so I took a break then went back to the shock-absorbing safety of the padded treadmill.

So, really, my question is, can I run an outside 5k after mainly training on a treadmill? Should I be running larger distances (4-5mi) before I commit to a 5k? There's a run/walk 5k Oct. 27 near me that I'm thinking would be safe -- since worst case scenario I can just start walking.

Bonus question -- it's a Halloween run, how terrible of an idea is it to run in costume for my first 5k? :)

I say just do it! You will see a difference in your time either up or down depending on the course. Just sign up for it and set your mind to it!

As far as dressing up...you'll probably be surprised by how many people will be dressed up! If it's Halloween...it's meant to be fun! Just make sure that your costume won't cause dangers of tripping or anything for yourself.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    If you can run 5 kilometers you can run a 5k. But I completely agree with getting outside - Running on pavement is a very different (and better) experience than running on a treadmill. Even if you don't, you'll be fine. What's the worst that can happen? You walk for a few minutes? Even if you don't get to run outside before the 5k, I think you will be ok. It just helps to have the terrain be comfortable and familiar.

Come dressed up from the ankles up :) Just make sure it's not horrendously uncomfortable.
  • lenniebus
    lenniebus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I would give it a try unless you are highly competitive :). I like 5k's because they give me something to work for and push myself for, but I've also run 5k's where I walked quite a bit. I've enjoyed all of them :). I've done a Halloween one every year for the last 5 years, and it's SUPER fun :).

My personal experience is that running on a treadmill is very different just as you said b/c your joints get a little more pounding on the open road. My knees, feet and ankles need to get adjusted or else it feels weird. Plus, I also run most of my races in the fall, so it can be a little chilly...it's good to get your lungs and body acclimated to that as well...just so you're not struggling with adjustment as well as the running.
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    There is a big difference between treadmill and outside running. I would not continue to run on a treadmill and train yourself to get used to that.

Get out there and try and do the 5k outside you will feel so much better for it and I promise once you start you wont be able to go back to pacing the treadmill.

I posted a post on the boards on beginner's running yesterday if you want to look its on my profile.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Go for it! You need a starting point- once you do this race, you'll see your time and have something to improve on!

And as far as the Halloween run goes- I wish there was one like that near me- that sounds like a BLAST! There was a Zombie Run in Pittsburgh awhile back, but I missed it, had something else going on =(
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    There's a zombie run in Baltimore on the 27th and 28th, I'll be there!
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Running on pavement is ideal, and many people will attest to that; however, if you've been running on a treadmill with an incline of one percent, then you're doing okay. I've run two marathons, and the majority of my training came from the treadmill. I put it on an incline between two to four percent with a speed of 8.2 to 8.6 miles per hour.
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I run on the treadmill as well. I've only run 1 5k so far, the Race for Life. Now I want more! There is a Superhero 5k Fun Run coming up in 2 weeks, thinking of doing it.
    You should just totally do it, who cares how fast you are or aren't, at least you're doing it. And then it sets a goal for you for future runs.
    I hope to hear that you have signed up! You can do this!
  • abbym919
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone -- your responses are so inspiring! I'm definitely signing up -- and will start mixing in some outside runs too!

My official Halloween costume involves a wedding dress and a dinosaur suit (Bridezilla!) -- so I might recycle a previous year's costume because I don't think this year's is quite right for a run :)

Wow, SO excited now just to have mentally committed to it! Thanks again!
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I agree - hit the pavement. Take it slow, but get your body used to hitting the pavement.
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Everyone has given pretty much the full range of answers, so I'll just offer this link for when that first race shows up:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/279198-running-tip-so-you-are-about-to-do-your-first-race
  • waskier
    waskier Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Go for it! Set your goal to finish, don't worry about time. If you can, get outside as much as possible. If you are worried about your knees or feet go to a running store and have them fit you for good shoes. I recently went shoe shopping after a 13 mile run and was so happy I did. My body gave me instant feedback on each shoe because I was already sore and I ended up with a pair I had never considered. My knees couldn't be happier and I am running distances I never hit before.
  • joeamendiola
    Options
    Try to research the actual route and give it a practice run.
  • Melolicious
    Melolicious Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Unless you are running to win, and it doesn't sound like you are, you'd need a 20 minute 5k to be in that group but running to finish, no one will care if you stop and take a walk break. I just did a 5k race and people took from first place at 19:22 to the 84th last person at 48:37. The finish line was always noisy with cheering :)
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I did all of my 5K training on a treadmill. I ran about 5 miles per day 4 days a week...on a treadmill, and was a sub 20 min 5K'er.

You'll be fine. I actually found the outdoors to be easier on the body than the treadmill.
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone -- your responses are so inspiring! I'm definitely signing up -- and will start mixing in some outside runs too!

My official Halloween costume involves a wedding dress and a dinosaur suit (Bridezilla!) -- so I might recycle a previous year's costume because I don't think this year's is quite right for a run :)

Wow, SO excited now just to have mentally committed to it! Thanks again!

So chuffed to hear you're doing it! Will be looking for your post-race post. Best of luck!!!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options

Unless your 5k Race is a treadmill run, I'd say try running outdoors...it sort of saddens me that people get very attached to the treadmill, but make sure you have the right shoes to reduce any discomfort whilst running outdoors if running outdoors causes you discomfort, or even worse, injury.

Good luck!!