would you date someone with no lisence?

Options

Replies

• EverlastBoston
    EverlastBoston Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I would date someone without a license before someone that didn't know how to spell it!!
  • SeaRunner26
    SeaRunner26 Posts: 5,143 Member
    Options
    Your love is just one bus ride (with 3 transfers and one 15 minute walk) away. Go for it.

Love this!
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I'm genuinely amazed that so many people are bothered about whether someone has a car. I get the issues with why someone lost a licence, but the actual issue of being able to drive or not is very trivial so I really don't get how it could ever be a dealbreaker to anyone.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Correct use of the English language is more important to me than a license.

I would be led to the question "Why doesn't he/she have their license back?" Is it because they owe fines? Is it because they had too many OWI's? Are they in treatment for the apparent drinking problem?

I'd want to know why they don't have a license or haven't cared to get one. Where I live, public transportation is not prevalent, so needing a car is essential. So for me, no. I would not date a guy that did not have a license.

If it's correct use of the English language you find most important, you probably ought to be using licence (the noun) rather than license (the verb)...

Ah the irony ;)
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I live in London where owning a car is unnecessary, expensive and impractical. Being daft, I have a car, but plenty of people I know and have dated have never even bothered to learn to drive, let alone retain a licence. It always being "my turn to drive" is seldom an issue as public transport is so easy.
  • marisablakley
    marisablakley Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Does this person have an amazing job or something to make up for the fact that they can't drive anywhere? It just seems like it would get old real quick. Makes me remember being a teen and dating guys who couldn't drive. It was a real drag.
  • xXKatrinaXx
    Options
    Ok, just wondering, if you met someone that was awesome but had no license** from a mistake made years ago, would you be able to date them if everything else in their life was right on track?

**Spelling the word license wrong probably did not help my case. **runs and hides**

For sure!! When I met my husband he had suspended license no car minimum wage job and lived in low income studio pretty much starting over. He was determined to get back on track and 2 years later we bought a nice house and he got his license and driving his dream truck :) and obviously worked his way up to a much better job.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I'm genuinely amazed that so many people are bothered about whether someone has a car. I get the issues with why someone lost a licence, but the actual issue of being able to drive or not is very trivial so I really don't get how it could ever be a dealbreaker to anyone.

Because not everyone lives in an area with a mass transit system. If I had to be the one driving to and from another town every time that would not be fun
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    He has a great union job, a house, all his teeth, all around great guy but he lost it for 5 years from a DUI. Mistakes happen I get that, I just don't know if I can handle driving someone around for 5 years.

And I seriously wish they would let you edit titles. It's been a long day. Be nice, people!

I couldn't drive until I was 30. Thank God I had understanding friends and boyfriends. ...just sayin.

a lot of dui limits are ridiculously low and it can happen. However, few get their license yanked the 1st time. how many DUIs has he had? or was it ridiculously over the limit?
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options

Because not everyone lives in an area with a mass transit system. If I had to be the one driving to and from another town every time that would not be fun
    My husband of ten years drove an hour each way to visit me when we first started dating. Evidently it was worth it to him.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Yes and it's no big deal
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    My husband doesn't have a driving licence. He's not been banned or anything, he just never learned to drive. It's not a big deal, it just means that I'm the one who has to take our kids to nursery, go do the food shopping etc.

We live in England though, so we walk a lot anyway, plus we're near the train station and the rail links are excellent here, so we get the train a lot. My husband works for the local train operating company so we get free travel.

I guess if we lived in the middle of nowhere he'd learn to drive pretty fast!
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

My husband of ten years drove an hour each way to visit me when we first started dating. Evidently it was worth it to him.

Theres sort of a double standard with this too. If the situation was reversered the majority of women would never start dating a man they had to drive two hours too see.
  • Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
    no i would not
  • Ruger2506
    Ruger2506 Posts: 309 Member
    Options

Depends on location. If you are unlucky enough to be some Urbanite I suppose it is no big deal. If you are lucky and live in the country where town is 45 minutes away. Then I say HECK NO!
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    depends how rich
  • holographic
    Options
    Would I date someone with no "lisence"...
    Before I answer that question: Would you date someone who never used facebook?

Bonkers....
  • mommyami1
    mommyami1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Been there. Done that. Not going there again. Ever. Pick a man with a job, a car, (a license), and treats his mother with respect. For starters...

Agreed. Unless you live in a big city with great public transportation and driving isn't necessary, you'll end up being a taxi service. That's why they're called choices. If he was an adult when he lost his license, he chose to do whatever it was to make him lose it. And there's nothing worse than falling for an adult that makes really bad choices.
  • imlea
    imlea Posts: 3
    Options
    You posted, he made a mistake. So, don't make that a deal breaker. Get to know him and then decide.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    A mistake "years" ago?

Humm, interesting.

People do not just lose their license for years and years for a simple mistake.

I think I would do some investigation into the matter and find out the truth.