Those Extra Calories

Options
So when you get to the end of your day and you're under your calorie goal do you eat more or do you pat yourself on the back for added weight loss?

Replies

• Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Depends... if you worked out and earned the extra calories, it's a pat on the back. If you ate at least 1200 calories, it's a pat on the back. If you answered no to both of these questions, have a little snack.
  • gabrielled
    gabrielled Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I always check fat, protein, and carb intakes, and then I make my decision. Like today. I have calories left, but my fat intake and carb intake is UP (I ate pasta), so I am stopping here.
  • jennbarrette
    jennbarrette Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    If I am still hungry I will eat something, sometimes if I am ok on sugar, fat etc I will have a little 100 calorie treat in the evening. I usually log as I go and plan my day, so I seldom have a lot of extra calories left at the end of the day.
  • tiggers
    tiggers Posts: 20
    Options
    I try to eat something that will help add a little more to the calorie intake. But I wonder if I'm hurting myself by doing that it seems like I'm always coming under my calorie intake and it says that I could be starving myself and not be able to lose the weight. How true is this?
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I always check fat, protein, and carb intakes, and then I make my decision. Like today. I have calories left, but my fat intake and carb intake is UP (I ate pasta), so I am stopping here.

That's exactly what I do as well.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    nope, straight up. If it was me, I'd examine what I ate and figure out how to be more accurate with my calorie consumption.

My thinking is this, creating a larger deficit can have adverse affects, and not being able to control my daily calorie consumption will lead to problems in the future as it did in the past. If you set a goal for yourself, and are confident in that goal, you should do everything in your power to hit that goal. If you aren't confident in that goal, then you should be examining why you think it's not right, and fix that.

By controlling our diet, we take huge steps toward controlling our health. Allowing your diet to dictate what you lose, instead of you dictating your diet, is a way to slip back into bad habits.
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    If it happened on a regular bases I would try and add some cals to my meals or add an additional snack (or bump cals of an existing snack)
    I would also make sure I am logging in all my food, correct cals and if logging in working out...make sure I am accurate with cals burned

Kim
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Depends... if you worked out and earned the extra calories, it's a pat on the back. If you ate at least 1200 calories, it's a pat on the back. If you answered no to both of these questions, have a little snack.

now see, I disagree with this. First, we have no idea whether 1200 calories is enough for her. Second, MFP creates a deficit for you, there's a reason why you can't do more than 2 lbs a week.
  • zeala
    zeala Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    it depends on whether I am still hungry and how much the deficit is. But usually if I feel fine, then I'm rather happy, especially since there are days when I am a few calories over.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Depends on where the calories are from. Take yesterday for instance, I ate A LOT anf I burned almost 600 calories yesterday. At the end of the night I still had like 800 calories left which is like another meal for me so I had a spoonful of peanut butter and went to bed! :bigsmile: