Protein (again)

Options
I was wondering earlier this week if going over my protein will make me gain. I really don't seem to be losing anything at all. I feel great :tongue: but I would like to lose some weight in the process of my workouts too :laugh: Today I was 53 (or something like that) over! I don't go over on calories and most of the time am way way under on fat. I think this next week my goal is to stay close to MFP goals on protein.

This is going to be really hard for me. I LOVE meat :heart: :heart: :heart: Beef jerkey is the best!!! I'm serious, I could just eat a big slab of meat for dinner and nothing else and be happy :happy: But for now, I think I may need to cool it on the protein:frown:

Replies

• michellejayne
    Options
    I found the same , i was over on the protien alot of days as well!!!
  • AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    Options
    IMO, MFP daily allowance of protein is too low. I also go over and am losing weight. :smile:
  • CamisMommy116
    Options
    I am following a diet plan and the protein requirements are WAAAAY higher than MFP's goals. I would say as long as it is good, lean protein you are golden! :)
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I upped my protein to 25% and I still go over many days - I've lost over 30 lbs this way. I'd recommend you stay away from the beef jerky and try to get most of your protein from meat like fish, chicken and lean turkey. These are much healthier protein sources. :smile:
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Not to mention most commercial beef jerky is full of sugar and sat fat.
  • Ang8178
    Ang8178 Posts: 308
    Options
    I'm a beef jerky junkie :tongue: and will not be giving it up anytime soon. I'm pretty picky when it comes to taste and I just looked at the back of Jack Link's pepper jerky (only one I buy):

Calories 80
    Fat 1g
    (saturated 0g)
    (trans 0g)
    Cholesterol 25mg
    Sodium 600mg
    Carbs 4g
    (fiber 0g)
    (sugars 3g)
    Protein 15g

Iron 6%

I don't see high saturated fat or high sugar. I'm not really eatting it as a source of protein, I just love it :heart:

I think I'll keep up the protein. I did some reading last night after I posted this. Some seem to think unused protein will turn into unused calories in your body, so if you are not working out hard you will gain weight. Another site says, your body uses protein and the unsused portions pass out of your body. The second site I read had research from doctors the first was some weight loss thread question with mixed answers. I'm going with the second one I read :wink: