Amount of protein recommended on Food tab

Options
Am I the only person that thinks the amount of recommended protein to be consumed in a day is too low? I found that if my protein count is the same or close to my carb count, I have much more energy and I am not starving. I have tried following a higher carb, lower protein regimen and find myself hungry and sluggish, especially mid-afternoon.

Replies

• incognito529
    incognito529 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree Joan, I go over my daily limit every day, even though I stay under my my calories and everything else.
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    You can make adjustments on your Goals page: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/my_goals

Carb/Fat/Protein ratio can be set by percentage so, for example, you could go for a Zone diet 40/30/30.

Just click the green "Change Goals" button at the bottom and then choose "Custom" on the next page.
  • joanfudala
    joanfudala Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Although I am not sure exactly what my ratio should be. Is there any way to find out what is optimal for me? I am 50 years old, 5'6', and weigh about 145. When I took a metabolic Type survey, I am a mixed type.
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely not an expert (and don't play one on TV either), but from what I've read it really varies from person to person in terms of what people find "works" for them.

MFP's default targets seem to be pretty good, and follow general dietary recommendations for healthy ratios for weight loss.

Here's a link for some info courtesy of the Mayo Clinic:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/healthy-diet/NU00200

There's a lot of other advice out there that might help you figure out what you're comfortable with:

https://www.google.com/search?q=carb+fat+protein+ratio
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Thanks that mayo clinic stuff is really helpful
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Although I am not sure exactly what my ratio should be. Is there any way to find out what is optimal for me? I am 50 years old, 5'6', and weigh about 145. When I took a metabolic Type survey, I am a mixed type.

There is no blanket answer for what your macronutrient % breakdown "should" be. If you feel better with about equal carbs and protein than set your goals at 35% carb, 35% pro, 30% fat and your pro and carb gram goals will be equal. There is no set recommended optimimal carb/pro/fat %, but I find most middle aged women I work with do well with a balanced diet such as this. (I am a Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist by the way ;) )
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Mmmm everyone ,look at my vegeterian diet.
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options

Honestly, I think the easiest way to do that is to just not worry about macros for a bit and then go back and see where you were eating and what seemed to work best for you. you can then go in and make the custom adjustments for where you think you should be.