Sidelined with shin splints!

Options
Hi there!

I am just starting my fitness journey by watching my calories and reintroducing exercise back into my daily routine. I am in my first week of c25k and I've been hiking and started lifting again. I feel great and I'm so glad to be back in the swing of things! My issue at the moment is that I have earned shin splints from my new activity. I really want to stay on track without injuring myself any further. I just tried the recumbent bike but it was pretty straining. Can anyone recommend a good cardio activity that won't beat up the shins while they heal?

Thanks in advance for taking time to reply!

Replies

• mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I'm a little confused by a bike straining your shins, I bike 2x per week on a road bike on a stationary trainer, could it be the recumbent bike? Have you tried Kettlebell? It's like Cardio weight lifting, great calorie burn.
  • m0ll3pprz
    m0ll3pprz Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Well, actually I tried the recumbent bike today just to do something in the cardio department since I thought I shouldn't run. Prior to that I had only been running and hiking. I just found that it still effected my shins so I didn't know whether I should work through it or whether it would aggravate the soreness further. I have only been "active" again for a couple of weeks and I probably went a little overboard on running with old shoes, I completely see that I did it to myself.

So maybe the "stationary" bike would be cause less flexing because of the upright position, you think? I could try that. I haven't tried kettlebell at all. I will have to google that now! Thank you for sharing!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    My understanding of shin splints is that they are caused by the pounding of running and/or hiking. If that is the case, the exercise bike should be fine. That is, it should not exacerbate the condition and lead to a longer recovery. Perhaps the bike felt bad when you tried it because your injury is so acute and recent. Maybe in a few days it will be better and you will be able to do the bike.
    I would try some weight lifting in the meantime. No pounding, and it works your muscles, which will help when you get back to running, plus, weight training raises your metabolism so it really is good for burning calories and weight loss.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I had major shin issues during my marathon training when my last pair of shoes were near retirement and my mileage increased. I still did the elliptical with no issue. What you need to be doing is also icing for 20 mins/3-4 times a day and learn some stretches that you can do daily. Also, always stretch AFTER your runs.
  • Sub30RAT
    Sub30RAT Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    "shin splints" generally are due to calf tightness...visit Trigger Point Technologies website. The owner is a good friend of mine and they have a lot of good info there....
  • snarf432
    snarf432 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    like the stationary bike idea, if it doesnt' hurt your legs. I had them once and the bike still hurt me...but I would probably try a yoga video or work on your cardio w/ some major boxing punches (just sit there and punch, getting each punch a small twist w/ your waist)...gets the heart rate up and you can be sitting while doing them. No pain for your legs.

Best of luck to you
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I lack compassion a little bit b/c when I was on the track team in high school we didn't get sidelined for shin splints. We iced the heck out of them before and after practice and sucked it up. Of course I was young and agile then. If I had shin splints right now I might take a day off. Anyhow, icing them is super important. The best way I ever found to do it was the way my high school athletic trainer did it. He would fill up the tiny paper dixie cups with water, then freeze them. Rub them up and down your shins and peel the paper down as the ice melts away. You are done when the ice is gone. Do this on top of a towel.

One other thing I was told was to point your foot towards the floor and pretend you are writing the alphabet with your big toe. This allegedly stretches things out.

Seriously though, do not let this sideline you if you are still pretty new to exercise again. I have had some health problems recently that have kept me from exercising for a few months and I am having a hard time getting going again. I ran twice last week and feel sick again this week so I know I am going to struggle. Good luck!
  • m0ll3pprz
    m0ll3pprz Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone, this is great information! I am going to try icing them right now!!! I will continue to workout around them and maybe just start my c25k all over when they feel rested. I am assuming that they should heal pretty fast from what everyone has said. I can't believe I never even thought to ice them! Come to think of it, since I am new to exercising regularly again~ I bet it won't take much to get my heart rate up to a decent level anyway, Lol! :laugh:
  • kennharr
    Options
    I had started doing HIT cardio on the treadmill about a month back and it gave me terrible shin splits along with having cheap Asics work out shoes that probably also caused the issue. As a guy still over 200, it is alot of weight to put on my shins running, and many websites and people i have talked to advised that I should not run until i was around 200 or below. I was 260 when i tried running. I iced for 7 days straight, 2x a day and they went away. I also stopped HIT and use the stair stepper exclusively which is excellent at dropping weight and building leg muscle. Also a good pair of running shoes really helps with shins splits. I wear Nike Free 3.0. Hope this helps!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, definitely get new shoes!!! They actually have some awesome New Balance running shoes at my TJ Maxx for less than $40!!!