A year well spent - 30+lb fat loss

Options
adamlb
adamlb Posts: 106 Member
Here we go...

I've never been someone who people would have really described as out-of-shape, but after having to give up basketball over 10 years ago I've been up and down. I would consistently go to the gym but really didn't have my diet under great control - again, not obviously atrocious but definitely wrong as it turned out. At one point when I was pretty off-form I thought I'd take a shirtless pic every week and track progress (left-hand pic). The workouts continued but I only ever took the one photo!

I did improve, but about 16 months ago I was on a bit of a downer and that led me to be generally lazy, stop exercising, and eat too much of the wrong things. When I couldn't bear to look in the mirror while dressing, and I could feel my obliques jiggle when going over speed bumps, I knew something had to be done! I would have looked like that left-hand pic, or maybe a bit worse. I thought if I had a number to chase I'd be motivated so last September I bought a body fat scale; found out I was about 25% fat and 213 pounds (at 6'4") and after reading decided I needed to at least get below 20%. I started off with 3 weights and 2 cardio sessions a week, and at the urging of a good friend, joined MFP. Tracking my food was a revelation and after a period of eating at a decent deficit I started seeing benefits; after 9 weeks I got below 20% body fat and that really motivated me to keep going. I ate at smaller deficits, swapped one weight session a week for yoga, and as the months went on I carried on making steady progress. Friends started to notice and while one or two thought I might be ill (!), most said I was looking much better.

By February (middle pic) I was in the 16% range, but decided to see how much lower I could get without doing anything extreme. Fast-forward to September (final pic) and I'm around the 10% range at 180lbs, and very happy with how far I've come. I'll keep logging my food for the foreseeable future, and I'd like to carry on increasing strength and try to add just a little extra muscle - may need a trainer or at least a spotter to help at this point!

Without MFP and the people on it, I don't think I'd have got it done - so thanks!

PS - I know the photography and flexing does make a bit of a difference too!

Bodychanges_550_zpsbae43b45.jpg

Replies

• AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Awesome work! You look hot :D
  • adamlb
    Options
    Thank you! :)
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Day-um!
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    What an improvement!
  • tmsfinks
    Options
    You look awesome!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Awesome job man! If someone asked me what you did for a living I'd be like, "I think he's a professional fitness model". Inspirational work done there.
  • Rabbit914
    Rabbit914 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! you look great!
  • KH9107
    KH9107 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hot!
  • shantigo2011
    Options
    Great Job & Motovation!
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Great work!!! You look awesome!! I would say your before pic was nothing to complain about either. ::happy:
  • MrzBlessedLady
    MrzBlessedLady Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You look good!!
  • ekr2107
    ekr2107 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Looks like you worked super hard! Congratulations ^^ I'm curious, how did you measure your body fat % each time?
  • deevatude
    deevatude Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    r u married?
  • sexypiglett
    Options
    sexy,well done.
  • cutiepieinchi
    Options
    wow you look amazing!
    lord jesus! ;)
  • Chameleone
    Chameleone Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    wow you look amazing!
    lord jesus! ;)

couldn't have said it better myself !!!

AMAZING!
  • cassiepv
    cassiepv Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Day-um!

^^ this
  • adamlb
    Options
    Awesome job man! If someone asked me what you did for a living I'd be like, "I think he's a professional fitness model". Inspirational work done there.
    Thanks man, that means a lot as I see you logging all your extra-hard training!
  • adamlb
    Options
    Looks like you worked super hard! Congratulations ^^ I'm curious, how did you measure your body fat % each time?
    Thanks!
    I measured my body fat on one of those electronic scales - there are sensors under your feet and a pair you hold in your hands. I think the consensus is that they don't have amazing static accuracy but I would measure every Monday morning and keep a record, so over time there's an indication of the overall trend. It helps smooth out the occasional high or low reading!
  • adamlb
    Options
    Thank you all for your flattering comments :happy:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!