question about how much exercise I should do

tlapdx72
tlapdx72 Posts: 311 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I have been working out for about a year now. I have not been counting my calories. I just cut down on my sweets and pop intake. I thought because I was working out so much that I would still loose weight. I have lost weight, but it has been a very slow process. I started counting calories about a week ago, and I have noticed a total difference in my weight loss. Now I am very excited about this. At first it was hard for me to not feel hungary staying at 1200 calories, but now I am doing pretty good.(especially when I get more calories for exercising). I am very busy now. I am going to school, working full time, and I am married with two kids. It is hard for me to keep up my old schedule of working out 5 or 6 days a week for an hour each time. I am wondering if I can cut down on my exercising as long as my calories dont go over my 1200 calories and my exercise calories.

Thank you for your help:smile:

Replies

• j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    I have heard from people on here that walk like during their breaks so if you get a lunch break was for 15-30 mins however long you get and then you have that taken care of. Maybe when you get home if you are tired you could play a little game with the kids just for something but with work and school you should be able to get some walking or little bit of jogging in.
  • kalmf
    kalmf Posts: 351 Member
    What about doing the walking as suggested or do mini-work outs during the day, they say that it's the cumulative effect. Continue to work out but for less time, say 30 minutes. Then on your day off you can work out longer. If you work out efficiently then 20 minutes a day is enough on some programs. It would seem, having established the habit of regular exercise, it would be a shame to break it.
  • ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    The FDA recommends at least 30 mins a day! Something is alwasy better than nothing. Try breaking it up into mini workouts (as previously suggested)... Take walks on breaks or lunches and then on days where you have more time, hit the gym or a good cardio session! Hope this helps you!
  • tlapdx72
    tlapdx72 Posts: 311 Member
    Thanks for the comments :) I wasn't going to give up on my exercise. I still plan on going about 5 days a week, but I would like to cut it down to 30 minutes on some of those days. I had read somewhere a while back (don't think it was on MFP), that in order to loose weight you had to at least work out for an hour 5 or 6 days a week. They said that 30 minutes a day would just maintain your weight. However, I am wondering if I still make sure that I am under my calories for the day, will I continue to loose weight if I don't work out for the full hour each day.
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    If you eat all your regular cals than 30 mins a day will maintain your weight. But you are -500 ish on here to lose so you WILL still lose. Make smart food choices, take the stairs, park far away and walk, walk down the hall at work instead of calling/ emailing your co-worker, ect. All the little things you do in a day does burn!
This discussion has been closed.