best option for limited gym time?

Options
hey all! i'm at the point where i'm starting to build muscle and cardio has gotten much easier. question i have it - some days i'm limited to 45 minutes and struggle w/ the best breakdown of cardio/weights. what i've been doing is 20 min on the elliptical going up and down from level 8 to 16 so that i'm sweating by the end but def could keep going. then i do 20 min of free weights/lunges/squats then a 5 min stretch. i feel kinda rushed through both - so push myself as best i can - but am afraid i'm shortchanging my workout by not really doing either for very long ... ok - go!

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    My entire workout at the gym is 45 mins. do 45 mins of lifting one day, do 45 mins of cardio the next time. there's no rule that you have to try to squeeze both into the same session
  • lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I agree with having one focus per gym visit. If I'm lifting one day, I'll warm up for about 5 minutes on the elliptical and maybe do the same to cool down but that's the only cardio I'll do on lifting days.
  • msafunk
    msafunk Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Yep! Alternate!

Depending on your goals, lift 3 times a week, and cardio twice or vice versa. On lifting days, stick to maybe 5-10 minutes on a treadmill to loosen up AFTER you lift.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    My entire workout at the gym is 45 mins. do 45 mins of lifting one day, do 45 mins of cardio the next time. there's no rule that you have to try to squeeze both into the same session

You sir have obviously studied the science of rockets