Sagging Skin after Weight Loss

Options
I'm just wondering what everyone thinks about this subject. I have over 150 pounds to lose and I'm concerned about leftover skin. How much is the surgery to have it removed? Does anyone know? Also, how much recovery time would there be?

Really hope someone answers this. It's early to be asking, but I'm seriously wondering.

Replies

• thecarbmonster
    thecarbmonster Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    sorry jumping on your topic- but i was wondering if anybody losing weight uses compression garments or anything else for loose tummy or thighs?
  • vmack2001
    Options
    from what Ive heard it cost about $6k..and recovery is at least 2 wks off min..but it would take close to a year for the scar to completely go away..Im seriously thinking of doing an armlift and tummy tuck
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Hi if you would like to check out my blog I am 9 days Post Op from a circumferential body lift. I have been logging the entire process there and updating with video, pictures and reflections... (www.gettingfit4life.com)

Best of Luck
  • amigirrrl
    Options
    Depending on who you have do it , and what all you get done, (arms/legs/ stomach/chest) will range between 4 to 15 grand. I have lost 140, am 10 pounds from my goal wt and need a tummy tuck and top of thighs tightened. Probably gonna run me. Between 4 to 9 thousand.
  • amigirrrl
    Options
    Compression garments look great when you are wearing them but they don't really fix the problem.
  • womanwithamission
    womanwithamission Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Anyone? I've lost only 20 lbs and have 60 more to go. However with my little loss, the belly flap looks horrible! I can't wear any dresses or skirts. I have to wear longer shirts to cover it up. I've tried spanx, and it makes me feel a little better. I would love to hear what woman do to solve this issue.
  • tephey
    tephey Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've heard that some hospitals will do it for free to have skin for burn victims. That's just what I have heard. But worth looking into.
  • Tannedtiffers
    Tannedtiffers Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    My skin doesn't look too bad...a little sag, but not outrageous.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    I know you didn't really ask, but some people don't seem to have as much of an issue with sagging skin. It may not be as saggy as you think it will be.
  • Jessamin
    Jessamin Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    In good ol' New Zealand the procedures I want would be a good $60,000 +. HENCE I'm headed to Thailand in like, 50 pounds' time.

Oh yeah, when I started I was horrified at the thought of sagging skin. But now while wearing a size 12 - 14 I don't really even think about it 99% of the time. Vintage undergarments are great for hidin' it. ;D Although I guess I care about it enough to undergo extensive surgery at some point ...
  • newEra4Tamara
    newEra4Tamara Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Walmart has great shapewear! You'd be surprised.... highly recommend so you can look/feel great while on the way!! I rarely leave home without it, lol!!
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sweet-Nothings-Smoothing-Shapewear-Firm-Control-Unitard-Style-82556/14560110
  • frj85
    frj85 Posts: 62
    Options
    I have a little sag on my stomach, lost 75 lbs in about 5 months, went from desk job, to a factory, I also worry there will be a lot
  • snarf432
    snarf432 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    strength train as you go, not losing weight too fast can help sagging skin. not sure if age matters
  • sweetalker
    sweetalker Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Speaking as someone who knows someone who went through dramatic weight loss (I went with her to her doctor appointments)....

That "extra skin" isn't really extra skin. It's stretched skin with fat underneath. More fat to lose. The "flap" is more common for those who lose weight with diet - and not as much with exercise.

The non-surgical answer? Exercise more. Skin is elastic; it is made to "snap" back into place and it will do so, if the fat underneath is worked away, whether that's through exercise or surgery.

I can prove this! If the above was not true, then every woman who ever went through a pregnancy would have to have surgery to "repair" her sagging belly after the baby was born. Nope - she just has to lose more weight.

So yes, you will lose the "inner" fat first, but don't panic - keep losing (through exercise!) and you'll work off that "extra skin" (really just flab underneath).

My friend did it, so can you!
  • jenbreeze72
    jenbreeze72 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi if you would like to check out my blog I am 9 days Post Op from a circumferential body lift. I have been logging the entire process there and updating with video, pictures and reflections... (www.gettingfit4life.com)

Best of Luck

Ed - What an inspiration you are! I just spent the last half hour reading your blog with tears in your eyes. Your heart is bigger than the number on your scale ever was! You have worked so hard and come so far and, though I have never met you, I am so proud of you. Congratulations on this next step of your journey. Sending healing thoughts your way.
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    There are many different types of sagging skin after weight loss. As we all know.

There is one Cheap method that improves on the look of the sagging skin.

Note: If the skin is showing dramatic signs of sagging, then most likely this will NOT help. Sorry.

This strange option really does work.

Saying you need a quick fix before a big party - where you want to look smashing.

Then go to the Drugstore or WalMart and buy " Preparation H".

Preparation H is an underground trick of the beauty trade. It can be used to shrink swollen tissue.
    The key ingredient in Preparation H - phenylephrine HCL - shrinks swollen tissue.

Applied to the face, it can leave your skin feeling a touch more taut.

Note: Make sure you wipe off ALL Prepar H before applying makeup because it doesn't fully absorb

(though it still tightens your skin). Also, avoid the oil-based ointment, and use the gel. And be sure
    NOT to get too close to your eyes.

Cost: $ 6.00 - $7.50 US
    Cost:$ 8.75 - $9.50 CA

Hope this helps. :flowerforyou:
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Speaking as someone who knows someone who went through dramatic weight loss (I went with her to her doctor appointments)....

That "extra skin" isn't really extra skin. It's stretched skin with fat underneath. More fat to lose. The "flap" is more common for those who lose weight with diet - and not as much with exercise.

The non-surgical answer? Exercise more. Skin is elastic; it is made to "snap" back into place and it will do so, if the fat underneath is worked away, whether that's through exercise or surgery.

So yes, you will lose the "inner" fat first, but don't panic - keep losing (through exercise!) and you'll work off that "extra skin" (really just flab underneath).
    Agree! It takes time so let your body heal itself, be patient. I have only lost 39 pounds since the beginning of the year yet had plenty of extra skin on belly and arms. I'm no gym rat, but I now try to walk 3 times a week and at least once a week at the gym, and maybe some swim time in once a week if possible. Been doing that for 6 months so far. Only now am I noticing that my belly is "snapping" back into it's old shape -- it's not there yet, but it's definitely better than it was even 4 months ago. I've decided against surgery for now, to give my body a chance to heal itself first.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    There is one Cheap method that improves on the look of the sagging skin.

Then go to the Drugstore or WalMart and buy " Preparation H".
    Well, I learn something every day on this site. Who knew? Thanks!
  • arkwright617
    Options

Best of Luck

One of the most inspiring blogs I've ever read...

An inspiration to us all
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!