Jogging strollers... useful or not?

Options
I'm due in February, and I'm wondering if it's worth it to put a jogging stroller on the registry or if any stroller will do for light running/jogging with a baby.

If we put one on there, it needs to be something budget-friendly (<$300 but we'd prefer something <$200 if possible) but durable. I can deal with it not being lightweight.

The stroller we currently have is this one: http://www.amazon.com/Chicco-Cortina-Stroller-Cubes/dp/B0056R568I/ref=br_it_dp_o_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2D0DBNLZTRD1N&coliid=I2AJCPFOANSQXL

I'd like to hear from moms or dads who have used strollers while walking or jogging and if you have any recommendations for us.

Replies

• wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Please don't get one. It pretty much guarantees you'll pass me in a 5K.

I'm not bitter.

:P
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

I'm not bitter.

LOL!

Actually, my son will pass you before I do :P
  • Sheff612
    Sheff612 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    A jogging stroller is a necessity for jogging with the baby. I have one that I purchased from target for $100 that I am happy with and have had no problems. It's the baby trend expedition. Definitely a good stroller for the price.
  • womanwithamission
    womanwithamission Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Yes! Get a b.o.b ironman. Mine lasted through four children ( I had a double ) and I just passed it along to my cousin. They are expensive but if a few people go in on the gift, it won't be so bad.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options

I'm not bitter.

We love you, Bill...
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I got a second hand one when my son was little, then loved it so much I saved or a new one, I'm sad he's to big for one now because it was great. I'd definitely recommend them, heaps better than a normal pram especially with the big pump up tyres easier to manouver could take it any where
  • januadiaboli
    januadiaboli Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    We've had several different ones over the years. For jogging, I'd highly recommend a Chariot (http://www.chariotcarriers.com/en/CA) or similar type of jogging stroller. We've got tonnes of usage out of ours with both boys (currently 4 and 5-1/2) and are still using it (mostly for biking and cross-country skiing if I have both boys, but longer walks for the youngest, and even the eldest still when the weather's a bit inclement). They're a bit pricey new, but I see them for sale used online all the time in my area.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Very useful. Features to look for are a leash and a hand brake. Also, try it out to make sure it's maneuverable with one hand. Some are better than others here.

I can't recommend brands but definitely urge you to test them.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Much thanks for the advice and recommendations. I'll start shopping for one to add to our registry.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't take a very young infant out in a jogging stroller - their head control is not strong enough yet. (Not that you'll probably be up to jogging when they're teeny anyway, but yeah.) I think we waited for anything except a bucket seat stroller until my daughter was 6 months +.
  • seaKind
    seaKind Posts: 136
    Options
    heck yeah! couldn't live without mine! (but the 'right one' is key!)
  • Bxwarren13
    Bxwarren13 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    A jogging stroller is actually what pushed me to get off the couch and start couch to 5k! :) No excuses after getting one to not start running or at least regular walking. I absolutely love it and it is so much easier to push than any other stroller I 've had. We were fortunate enough to get ours for free, but I know you can look for other people selling there's for cheap? Look for those who got it and used it once and are selling it, their failure is your score! Haha
  • chljlleal
    chljlleal Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Very useful. Features to look for are a leash and a hand brake. Also, try it out to make sure it's maneuverable with one hand. Some are better than others here.

I can't recommend brands but definitely urge you to test them.

this

plus big tyres are a must (helps you get over bumps easier)
    Good luck
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Love mine. Skip the regular stroller and just get a jogging one. I wish I had...now I'm stuck with two strollers.
  • BrawlerBella
    BrawlerBella Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    A jogging stroller is a necessity for jogging with the baby. I have one that I purchased from target for $100 that I am happy with and have had no problems. It's the baby trend expedition. Definitely a good stroller for the price.

^^^True Story^^^ I love my Baby Trend from Target and my 3 year old appreciates the comfortable ride.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't take a very young infant out in a jogging stroller - their head control is not strong enough yet. (Not that you'll probably be up to jogging when they're teeny anyway, but yeah.) I think we waited for anything except a bucket seat stroller until my daughter was 6 months +.

Some jogging strollers, like the BOB Revolution ($$$), do have the ability to be used with a car seat, so if your baby is really young, it should be fine. We're not talking trail running here, I assume!

Frankly I find jogging with the stroller ridiculously hard. However, our jogging stroller is nice and smooth for fast walking. Before my son was big enough to sit in the jogging stroller, I just used his car seat and the Snap 'n Go, which worked well, after which point I used the jogging stroller for walks.

I bought a Bebelove stroller secondhand off craigslist for $75. My sister had the BOB Revolution, which she bought brand-new and then traded with someone (plus some $$) for a BOB Revolution Duallie (double jogging stroller). She and I have gone on walks together with both strollers, and there is nothing that the BOB has/does that mine doesn't.

For regular old outings or going for walks in the park or whatever, we use the Britax Blink stroller, which is kind of like an umbrella stroller with a few extra features. It stays in the back of my car at all times. However, there have been parks we've gone to with more rugged paths where we've wished we brought the jogging stroller with us. As such, I recommend a jogging stroller that folds small enough to fit in your car.

Also, I recommend making sure the front tire pivots/swivels but that you also have the ability to lock it, too. Surprisingly not all of them have this feature.

One more consideration is making sure the shade comes far enough down in case you are walking towards the sun. A good one should be able to almost completely close your child in and then have a plastic "window" so that you can see in from above.
  • suegmune
    Options
    A jogging stroller is the only way to go. They are great for every use. We have a Phil and Ted's, with the doubles add-on in the back and we get comments every where we go. It also has a fabulous resale value! So, if you were to use it for 3 years, you could get probably $200 back by selling it on CL.

I can't stand regular strollers -- they are not comfortable to push or maneuver or anything. I've owned 3 jogging strollers -- a single valco, double/triple valco and the Phil and Ted's. The Phil and Ted's has been fabulous. Definitely HIGHLY recommend it, even if it is out of your price range....you will get tons of use out of it no matter where you go or what you are doing.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Absolutely useful! They weren't around when my kids were born, but my friends swear by them. Not sure of prices, but my friends like the BOB Ironman one and the Bugaboo Frog. Get one!
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I bought my husband a jogging stroller when we were expecting our firstborn, and my husband was training for a marathon. It was used twice. My husband really disliked not being able to swing his arms naturally as he ran.

I guess I'm the only naysayer here, though.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    At any kind of speed over walking, any type of normal stroller is unstable.

At the minimum, you need either a fixed front wheel, or a lockable one. Cheap swivel wheels won't lock and that's what causes instability. However, fixed front wheels are harder to operate at slow speeds, obviously they don't turn very easily. And don't even think about taking one into a store, they are HUGE compared to an umbrella stroller

I had an instep fixed wheel. $100. It was fine. It was much heavier than a bob or chariot and the wheels and bearings wern't nearly as nice, so it was much harder to push.

BOBs and Chariots are much lighter too, so they are much easier to store in a trunk. There is a definite $200 worth of quality between a $100 jogger and a BOB.