So...what am I doing wrong?

I started counting calories again at the beginning of September, I believe September 4th. I am 5'5 and looking to get back to my high school graduation weight of somewhere between 125-130lbs. I'm not entirely sure what I weighed at the beginning of September, but I was somewhere in the ballpark of 150 lbs. Over the past month, I've been eating between 1000 and 1500 calories per day and exercising 1-3 hours a day five days a week. Yet yesterday when I stepped on the scale, I was sitting at 147lbs. One month of 1500 calories and five days a week of exercise and three pounds lost? What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• babeinthemoon
    babeinthemoon Posts: 471 Member
    You don't know what you weighed at the beginning of September, so you don't know for sure it was only a 3 pound loss. What if you weighed 153? You'd be down 6 pounds, or an average of 1.5 lbs a week. A 1% weight loss a week is not shabby at all!!! :)

Honestly, if all you lost was 3 pounds over the month, I'd take it and run with it. If you are exercising more than you were before then you may have replaced some fat loss with muscle gain... and that is a good thing!

Take some measurments, and see where you are in a few weeks. If you keep exercising and eating healthy foods you'll likely be happy with your results.
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    It's possible you lost 2 pounds/week, which is great. Sounds like you are doing a good job, I would just keep at it and see what October brings.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Now you know what you actually weight. Continue for another month and track actual weight lost.
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    it's a 3 lb loss! that's a GOOD THING
  • CJRabbit
    CJRabbit Posts: 2 Member
    Hi, Maybe you could reduce your calorie intake slightly. I am 5'8 and only on 1400 calories a day to lose 1 pound per week. I also try not to eat my exercise calories. Also as you are training fairly intensely, you are gaining more muscle which shows up on the scale. Whenever I exercise heavily, I don't see much change on the scale, but my shape definitely changes.
  • Kaiukas
    Kaiukas Posts: 111 Member
    I started counting calories again at the beginning of September, I believe September 4th. I am 5'5 and looking to get back to my high school graduation weight of somewhere between 125-130lbs. I'm not entirely sure what I weighed at the beginning of September, but I was somewhere in the ballpark of 150 lbs. Over the past month, I've been eating between 1000 and 1500 calories per day and exercising 1-3 hours a day five days a week. Yet yesterday when I stepped on the scale, I was sitting at 147lbs. One month of 1500 calories and five days a week of exercise and three pounds lost? What am I doing wrong?

So today is 4th October. You have lost at least 3lb in a month. Considering that you don't have a lot to lose, you are doing extremely well. Slow and steady wins the race. Very quick and dramatic weight loss when you are within normal weight range to start with is never a good thing. Keep up what you are doing, if anything make sure you are eating enough for the amount of exercise you are doing!

Best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Exactly - be realistic about what you can lose safely. 3 pounds over a month is perfect! Think where you'll be by Christmas!
  • Do your clothes feel looser?

Try to not focus so much on the pounds and ounces lost and think in broader terms.

You're eating healthier & exercising more, these are fabulous lifestyle changes. Bear in mind that the changes you make in your life to lose the weight will have to be a permanent change so that the weight stays off.

Try to avoid the 'go on a diet' mentality as this implies that at the journey's end you will 'come off' the diet. Which will only lead to weight gain if you revert to pre-diet eating habits.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    as everyone else has said, you arent doing anythign wrong, and your weight loss rate is a healthy amount.

just to let you know, you dont need to be doing over an hour in the gym... maybe look at your workout routine, its quality of the exercise not quantity. some cardio and a decent strength training programme is what you need! good luck!
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Hi, Maybe you could reduce your calorie intake slightly. I am 5'8 and only on 1400 calories a day to lose 1 pound per week. I also try not to eat my exercise calories. Also as you are training fairly intensely, you are gaining more muscle which shows up on the scale. Whenever I exercise heavily, I don't see much change on the scale, but my shape definitely changes.

Hmmm i'd take this advice with a large pinch of salt. Only eating 1400 and not eating exercise cals either. Fun. Not.
  • Thanks all. I fell off the bandwagon over Thanksgiving, but I'm back on track, hoping those last 22 pounds will be gone in the next little while!
  • Evey_bee
    Evey_bee Posts: 77 Member
    I'd say that's great! About on par with what I lost since the beginning of September (: and I'm certain I'm doing it right! It's just about realistic weight goals and tracking your progress properly (: