"homemade" foods

Options
I cook almost all of my meals from scratch for myself and my family so how do i add them to my food diary??? do i put in each ingredient? for example tonight im doing a Pasta Bake...so it would be chicken breast, onion, mushrooms, red pepper, garlic, pasta & cheese sauce.

is there a way of adding my recipe to the database so it adds it up and works out how many calories per portion??

Replies

• mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    We eat homemade foods also, sometimes partly store made, but never the less we don't eat out. www.sparkrecipe.com!! You put in what the ingredient is, and how much you put into the recipe... then when you have all of your ingredients in you put how many it serves and it calculates all nutrition for one serving! It is also free like this site.

Then all you do is add it as a new food as the portion size and name it whatever that particular dish is. Good luck!
  • bumpthat
    Options
    I'm relatively new, so there might be a better way....

I have the same issue with salads. There are about 10 ingredients. So what I do is this:

When the meal you are preparing is still blank (i.e. lunch, dinner), but in the ingredients for the dish one time. Then hit "create a meal" (I think that is what it is called). From then on, that dish will be under the "meals" tab of your food page. And if you have more than just this one dish (say, you ate pretzels in addition to your dish), you can still add it separately.
  • rrlucero
    Options
    Thank you thank you thank you for suggesting www.sparkrecipe.com! I was *just* thinking about this last night and was going to google search this today to see if there was just this type of site out there. I make almost all of my dinner meals from scratch (nothing boxed or processed) and would also like to add just the meal and serving to my food items.

Thank you again (:
  • fishernd
    fishernd Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Try this :0)

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp

Enter the ingredients here in the large portions, and then tell it how many servies you want to make out of it. Voila!
  • nikkia75
    Options
    Thank you.....that will make it much easier for me to add things!
    :-)