STRONGLIFTS 5X5??????

Options
Just wondering is the Stronglifts 5x5 program good or waste of time?
Anyone doing it, tell me if you're doing the program or have done it and what were you're results from it..

Thanks

Replies

• sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    It's a great program. Just got back into it today after taking 3 months off for endurance training.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Excellent beginner program. Decent alternative to Starting Strength if you don't want to shell out for the book (which you should anyway).
  • bebreli
    bebreli Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I keep "wanting" to try it but from what I take you shouldn't be able to squeeze out more than the 5 reps (to fatigue). I can only workout alone and don't understand how you can manage this without a spotter. Does anyone do this alone with no spotter?
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I keep "wanting" to try it but from what I take you shouldn't be able to squeeze out more than the 5 reps (to fatigue). I can only workout alone and don't understand how you can manage this without a spotter. Does anyone do this alone with no spotter?

I would just make it "difficult" for the sets and move up weight as you go. I'm a "heavy lifter" and I've only failed on a squat once in my life FWIW.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I ran the Madcows version of 5x5 and really liked it.

I've done some of my workouts without a spotter, but wouldn't reccommend it unless you have a power rack.
    If you lift at a gym, just ask for a spot on your top sets.
  • taylor5877
    Options
    I personally wouldn't do squats without three spotters if there was no power rack in our gym.
  • Troublemonster
    Troublemonster Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it now, in week 2 of the program. I have, prior to this, done other routines full of isolation exercises.

I am doing the older version of it though with dips, pushups, and barbell rows as well pullups and chinups.

I like the program so far but as I am not a true beginner I decided to add more training volume to it.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    I personally wouldn't do squats without three spotters if there was no power rack in our gym.

I've had to get by with one spotter before and it worked pretty well. I got pinned under 385 and he was able to help me get back up.

It's definitely not worth risking though. power racks will save you.
  • taylor5877
    Options

I've had to get by with one spotter before and it worked pretty well. I got pinned under 385 and he was able to help me get back up.

I really like the racks with adjustable safety rails that you can set just below the depth of your squat. I feel much better in those.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options

I really like the racks with adjustable safety rails that you can set just below the depth of your squat. I feel much better in those.

I'm in the market for one now for safety reasons.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

That's what a power rack is.
  • taylor5877
    Options

That's what a power rack is.

some have the highest setting too low...should have clarified.
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    great program :)
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts is an excellent program. As you progress you can also deviate from the original program into other versions. My fav is the madcow. It is a free program and has a free phone app too. As far as lifitng without a spotter....you don't need one if you have a power rack. You also wouldn't want to do something stupid and try for a one rep max alone. You will have an idea of how much you can safely lift as you go through the program. You will start very light and work your way up to heavy. Give it a shot...I loved it.

For the ladies....we have a stronglifts group on MFP as well. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4618-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I really love SL. I was on it before I got pregnant, and I made great gains.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts is a decent enough program, but Starting Strength, which is what it's based on, is superior.
  • siriusalien
    Options
    Loving it myself
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

I agree! I did for a while without a spotter and at the last set I had to go to 3 reps or just do 4 sets. I find it very difficult to up my weights without somebody to watch over me.
  • JBuck1914
    JBuck1914 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of the SL 5x5 program. I did it and I'm almost completed the 12 weeks I'm at the 11 week mark but, I will continue doing it in some way or another. I wasn't really a newbie but, I think this program is great for building a nice foundation to work from and build onto down the road. Great starting point...
  • swolegirlcb
    Options
    I did a modified version of the Madcow 5x5 and loved it.

113lbs
    5'2"
    current 1rm's
    deadlift: 195lbs
    squat: 190lbs
    bench: 110lbs

no lifting straps, or knee wraps
    competiting in my first USAPL raw powerlifting meet on Saturday.