I am going to do it this time!

Options
Good Morning MFP people,

Dave aged 39, struggled with weight for too long, time to take control, or at least give it a damn goood go trying. I have lots to lose but hoping i can gradually chip away at it, I have tried food diaries ect before, have seen dieticians and have completed vigourous physical training and still my weight increases.

I have been recommended MFP by a few people, and talking at work i now know of a few more people that use it. I hope MFP helps me succeed where io have failed over last 20 years lol.

Looking forward to reading inspirational success stories, and reading tip and motivation bits toi help me on my journey.

:)

Replies

• peramore91
    Options
    Good on you! MFP is a great tool :)
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I bet you ARE because those are the words of someone making decisions to be successful! Not I'll try not I want to but I AM GOING TO DO THIS! The decisions made now set that action plan in motion :)
  • Breeanna1973
    Options
    Hi MFP,
    I am very much like Dave.
    I am 39 years old, I have 3 grown adult children that still live at home.
    I have always struggled with my weight right from childhood.
    I work 2 jobs Monday - Friday, & don't really have much time to excercise but would love to swim first thing in the mornings if possible.
    Just wondering if maybe I could replace the walking I'm suppose to be doing with swimming in the morning?

I am very determine to loose this weight this time round & to make it even easier I have a good old buddie to do MFP with.
  • Breeanna1973
    Options
    Justkeepswimming,
    How can I post my weight scale like you have ?
  • Breeanna1973
    Options
    It's ok, I just worked it out lol
  • ItsTimeDave
    ItsTimeDave Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support peeps

:)
  • sarahsummers12
    sarahsummers12 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Awesome positive attitude!! Feel free to add me as a friend... I love seeing others success!
  • ItsTimeDave
    Options
    Just a quick question, to all thoise who have been successful at weight loss.

If I follow the guidelines on MFP food diaries as a minimum, as in stick within the calories and limits, it says i should lose 1lb a week, have others found this to be true as i would rather lose weight slowly as there is more chance of it staying off.

Whats other peoples experiences??
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    My preference is to lose weight more quickly and then taper to maintenance habits. I say habits because I don't find I can count anything (calories, points, whatever) for an extended period of time. I would love to hide the calories, but it doesn't give me that option (I'm on here to track my sodium intake - being used as a diagnostic tool by my doctor.)

I cut out as much sugar and fat as I can (I have identified those two foods as triggers for cravings), eat as many fruits and vegetables as I want, two small lean proteins (yogurt, plain grilled chicken breast, etc.), and two large high volume but empty carbs as snacks (like a regular size bag of low calorie/fat kettle corn, or 7 rice cakes). I don't count calories - but if I did this would typically run 1000-1200 calories a day.

This lets me 2-3 pounds a week to start. I keep a relatively steady diet. As my weight goes down, the energy (calories) needed to sustain it also goes down as I approach the goal. The rate of loss drops since my calorie deficit drops and near the end it may take 2-3 weeks to lose a single pound. When I'm a few pounds away from my goal point I switch from empty carbs which fill me to more complex carbs (whole grain breads, brown rice, etc.) which are typically higher in calories but more nutritious. The last step is to add small treats once in a while. Since my maintenance diet is only around 1300 calories, it makes a smooth transition from loss to maintenance so I don't have to change habits as part of the transition.

I've been within the normal weight range most of the last 12 years, having lost the weight using the process above. Unfortunately, I'm back up again at the moment - but heading back down.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Options
    It's ok, I just worked it out lol

Yay grats sorry I didn't see your question sooner.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Options
    Just a quick question, to all thoise who have been successful at weight loss.

If I follow the guidelines on MFP food diaries as a minimum, as in stick within the calories and limits, it says i should lose 1lb a week, have others found this to be true as i would rather lose weight slowly as there is more chance of it staying off.

Whats other peoples experiences??

I stuck with MFP's guidelines and ate back all to most of my exercize calories and have found its predictions when I hit that whole "complete" entry button to be extremely accurate until I got to 8 lbs from my goal. Now I think I'm building more muscle and things are whacky :) Doing this has allowed me NOT to yoyo but was steady decline until this major plateu.
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    GGGGOOOO DAVE!!!

:drinker:
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Hey, Dave! You. Can. Do. This. Will it be hard? Yep. Will you want to give up sometimes? Yep. But. You. Can. Do. It. The end.
  • AliciaStaton
    AliciaStaton Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Hi Welcome to the begining of your new life. Yes its hard losing weight, I dont care what anyone tells me. This is a great site, it offers good advice and plenty of support. We all have our good days and bad (mine was yesterday) but back on track today. From the UK feel free to add, if not good luck on your journey:smile:
  • zoefitzy
    Options
    Here are some Michelle Bridges mottos I live by!!!
    http://www.dailylife.com.au/photogallery/health-and-fitness/dl-fitness/michelle-bridges-top-workout-tips-20120920-26890.html?selectedImage=0

I like this one the best..... "This whole 'I can't get motived thing' is a crock. "You don’t have to be motivated to exercise, you just have to turn up and do it. And the more you just do it, the quicker you’ll lay it down as a habit. Think of it as beating a path through a jungle – at first it’s hard to find your way, but the more you walk it, the smoother and easier it gets."

Im currently doing her 12WBT and loving it - can highly recommend. Also heres a link to my blog... http://girlwholivesandlovesfood.blogspot.com.au/
  • Photoguy11
    Photoguy11 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Dave

I have been on the plan for about 5 weeks and have lost a little over a pound a week. The advise of stick to the plan and eat your exercise calories was sound for me. Some days I have been hungry but they are getting fewer and to be honest now if I am really hungry I eat something, generally cereal and I find a little fills the gap.

The first couple of weeks are the hardest I found focussing on completing the plan on line was the quite motivating especially if I fancied something nice and could work out an offset with the rowing machine or bike!

Darren
  • ItsTimeDave
    Options
    Cheers guys & gals, much appreciated.
  • Fatguy2Fitguy
    Fatguy2Fitguy Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Hi Dave,

Good on you!

Making the decision is the easy part, sticking to you're programme is where it counts. I've done fairly well so far, but I've fallen off the wagon a couple of times.

I find making short term goals seems to work, steps on the ladder (and all that). Ive gone down two sizes in jeans already and buying something much smaller really gives you a boost and helps re-motivate you

You will end up finding that you can eat well and healthy, its just a question of experimenting with stuff. In the end it's not a diet... its just what you eat. As a result it becomes a whole lot easier to follow a sensible plan!

Good luck to you going forward.
  • crazy_ninja
    crazy_ninja Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    You can do it!

And falling of the wagon now and than is what happens to all of us. Keep smiling and keep moving :smile: