gaining, losing, gaining, losing,... bad week :(

Options
I gained 0.2kg since yesterday. Lost 0.5kg the day before, gained 0.8kg the day before that...

This is not a good week for me, I think the protein thing isn't working. Also, two restaurant visits in three days wich made the calorie intake more of an estimate... I've also been constipated since sunday (sorry if it's TMI :) ) So far, I'm back to the weight I hade a week from today :(

I took the advice from my previous post, http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/755374-always-hungry-girl-needs-advice, but I fear it's not doing me any good. Can someone have another look at my diary?

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Strength training, eat back more of you exercise calories, drink water. A week is nothing in a life, relax.
  • sannsk
    sannsk Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Tnx, but I've drank nothing but water this week, and go to the gym 2/3 times a week (cardio + strenght + swimming). I know a week is nothing to worry about, but it feels like my efforts from the weeks before are all in vain. Hopefully it'll turn for the better soon :)
  • dallasfloyd
    Options
    I gained 0.2kg since yesterday. Lost 0.5kg the day before, gained 0.8kg the day before that...

This is not a good week for me, I think the protein thing isn't working. Also, two restaurant visits in three days wich made the calorie intake more of an estimate... I've also been constipated since sunday (sorry if it's TMI :) ) So far, I'm back to the weight I hade a week from today :(

I took the advice from my previous post, http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/755374-always-hungry-girl-needs-advice, but I fear it's not doing me any good. Can someone have another look at my diary?

i didn't post my diary in the last few days.. I will do better the tomorrow.. but i still follow 75% of my trainers plan. just diet we have not worked out yet with her... lost 10 lbs in 3 weeks.. I did hit the thread mill a little.. 30 mins here and there.. and a stability ball..

don't panic.. but what helped me was log everything every day in the beginning.. i didn't eat perfect but it kept me close.
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    your weight will fluctuate day to day, you need to accept that if you are going to weigh daily. Reasons are water retention from sodium the day before, slow metabolising of certain foods.

Otherwise, just weigh once a week on the same day. Your body is adjusting to new regimes and once it gets settled you'll need to change things up to see big differences.
  • GigiRP
    GigiRP Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Don't weigh yourself everyday, just once a week on the same day. Also, you are human so one step back isn't so bad. Just refocus and stay the course. Today is a new day.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Tnx, but I've drank nothing but water this week, and go to the gym 2/3 times a week (cardio + strenght + swimming). I know a week is nothing to worry about, but it feels like my efforts from the weeks before are all in vain. Hopefully it'll turn for the better soon :)

Your diary looks pretty nice actually.
    The strength training is 20 mins or so? Up it, lift heavy. You are working on fitness - 2/3 times a week? That is great, never in vain!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    none of this will be what you want to hear but:

if the fluctuations bother you so much, dont weigh every day....

u need to give any new routine more than a week to work... try at least a month and then come back if you havent got any results!
  • sannsk
    Options
    Indeed, the tuna salad yesterday was on the salty side, so it's indeed quit possible I've been retaining water.
    Weighing-only once week is, at this moment, to difficult :-D That is a working point for later on, when I'll be a little more at easy with all of this.

Strenght training is: 2x 15 reps on 9 machines per session, but the machines are light (girly weightlifting :) ) I would lift heavier, but already struggle to move the machines :-D I'll try to do 3x 15 reps next time...
  • davekang
    Options
    Have you tried supersets

Two exercises, 10 reps of each back to back
  • uclown2002
    uclown2002 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    If you weigh yourself every day then you are setting yourself up for disappointment and frustration. However, I have been there so understand it is a difficult habit to break. If you insist on doing it then only record and track one official weekly weight and discard the others. This way over a period of weeks and months the trend will be downward and then maybe you can be more satisfied with your progress.
  • sannsk
    Options
    Have you tried supersets

Two exercises, 10 reps of each back to back

No, I don't know this. What are supersets exactly?
  • MrsPixelbark
    MrsPixelbark Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Strenght training is: 2x 15 reps on 9 machines per session, but the machines are light (girly weightlifting :) ) I would lift heavier, but already struggle to move the machines :-D I'll try to do 3x 15 reps next time...

The hint isn't to do MORE reps, it's to increase the weight you're lifting and do less reps.

I would strongly suggest going to read something like New Rules of Lifting for Women, it'll give you a bit of basic knowledge, offer a routine and show you how to perform the exercises.

Also, just as everyone else said- weigh weekly. If needs be, put the scale somewhere where you can't reach it every day- stick it in the attic or something, and then perhaps weigh yourself at the gym scales once a week. It is not worth fretting about daily fluctuations, take it from me- I started becoming obsessed by them and ended up on a real downer.
  • Beethoven1827
    Beethoven1827 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    If you find it impossible to resist the daily weighing, then you need to keep in mind that your weight WILL fluctuate from day to day. I second the advice above to choose one 'official' weigh-in day, and only record that one; even if you weigh yourself on the other days, learn to recognise the fluctuations for what they are, just small daily changes. It's only if they start going up every single day that you might want to have another look at what you're doing... :smile:

As you said you've eaten out a couple of times in the past few days, this will also make it harder to keep on track. Just take it a day at a time; give yourself the occasional break so that it's not too dull and burdensome, and try and remember that a gradual, sustainable change is WAY better than a quick, harsh short-term change that won't have any lasting effect once you stop doing it.
  • Baloostika
    Baloostika Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    This strength training for 20min, does it include rest periods or one just keeps pumping the weight for that long.
    I would like to advice that she tries circuit training too as it blasts fat even faster and targets all the areas.
  • Baloostika
    Baloostika Posts: 203 Member
    Options

Have you read LorinaLynns post on "the scale doesn't define you." I think you need to go to that thread and read it, it will help put things in perspective for you and also check if ur loosing inches. As she rightly said the scale is a cheat and a liar.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Don't weigh every day if it freaks you out - it is perfectly normal for the scale to jump up and down from day to day - what is important is that over a week - or a month it goes down....

Here is a blog I wrote some time ago that clearly shows what happens over a full month....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Elleinnz/view/weighing-daily-don-t-believe-the-scale-135325
  • WolffEarl
    WolffEarl Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Those daily fluctuations are meaningless as many people stated. The 0.2 kg gain are equal to 1 large apple or less than a cup of water, the 0.5 kg loss equal to about 3 potatoes, or 2 cups of water. To drive yourself really crazy you can try weighing yourself 4 times a day and then let paranoia set in:) If you stay within your nutrition goals, long term you will reach those weight loss goals. Look at Elleinnz blog she posted above, the graph says it all.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Stop weighing every day. Be consistent with a plan for two weeks before deciding it isn't working and changing. Take an honest look at whether you're lying to yourself about eating out and what effect that has.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    You WILL fluctuate, that's normal.

If anything, I'd be working on the constipation. It not only affects the scale, but really, you feel like sh** (no pun intended), when you're backed up. Some fruit have laxative properties (I know oranges make me "go"), drink lots of water, throw some lemon in it.. up your fiber.. you'll feel better and like the scale again when things start moving!
  • snelson0511
    Options
    your weight will fluctuate day to day, you need to accept that if you are going to weigh daily. Reasons are water retention from sodium the day before, slow metabolising of certain foods.

Otherwise, just weigh once a week on the same day. Your body is adjusting to new regimes and once it gets settled you'll need to change things up to see big differences.

I agree. I wouldn't weigh more than once a week...not only does your body fluctuate day to day (heck even multiples times IN the day)...but if you lost weight you might enjoy a tiny reward of food for it or if you gained you might freak out and exercise harder making you tired and needing more fuel.

It'll come off...just trust the system on this site