BACK FAT

Options
Hi I'm losing weight everywhere slowly but surely I have lost a stone so far then put 3ln back on an haven't weighed myself since (about 2 weeks). But my back doesn't seem to be budging its like I have got a thick layer of fat across my back an look a lot bigger than I am from the front!any exercises I can do to make it go or is it just. A waiting game x

Replies

• Joannie30
    Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately there's no truth in the "spot fat reducing" myth. It will come off in it's own time. Different people lose fat from different areas of their bodies quicker than others. For me, it was my arms i really noticed it from first, then my back. Its just a matter of keeping up with the exercise and waiting for it to come off when it's ready.
  • HotMummyMission
    HotMummyMission Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately there's no truth in the "spot fat reducing" myth. It will come off in it's own time. Different people lose fat from different areas of their bodies quicker than others. For me, it was my arms i really noticed it from first, then my back. Its just a matter of keeping up with the exercise and waiting for it to come off when it's ready.
    boooo :( iv notices my shoulders nck an face and belly I hope it's not the last I look like qauzzimodoe xx
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Be patient! As outlined above, you can't spot reduce fat. Just keep it up and don't despair too much - slow and steady wins the race.
  • bpientok
    Options
    Pilates has a back exersize called soaring eagle, check it out it isn't too strenuouse and you can feel it in the old love handle area!!
  • HotMummyMission
    Options
    Sorry girls should of been more clearer it is my upper back not love handles x
  • marisablakley
    marisablakley Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Part of it I think is that i have a short torso. But i also have fat around my armpit area and fat that spills over my bra in the back. I weigh 126 and it doesn't seem to be getting any better.
  • missy_1975
    missy_1975 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I hear ya, back fat sucks! :grumble:

I'm pretty close to goal weight/body comp, and that back fat is the last place to hold on to it along with my tummy. 'Friad what people say is true, you gotta just keep on slowly losing fat, keep your muscle mass (lift heavy things up and put them down. Repeat.) and have PATIENCE.

I know, it's a pain in the *kitten*, but it's the truth :ohwell:

Well done on your loss so far, give yourself a break, you're doing great!
  • Joannie30
    Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I've got the opposite problem to you. My back fat was one of the first things to go. From the back, i look really slim and toned, but when i turn around, my belly fat gives me away. I know it'll go in its own time- at least i hope it will! lol
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Yes, it comes off my back, face and waiste first but damn my butt, hips and thighs!! I hate being a pear. I feel your pain. xxxooo
  • PoshLadyrj
    PoshLadyrj Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i used to do a class called body combat which kept my back in shape it was amazing, i would still do it now but the gym im at now "does not have a high demand for it" apparently!!!

It really does work and also jogging/running i think would help, if you think how your upper body moves when you jog lots of little twists with every move with your arms.
  • HotMummyMission
    Options
    Thanks girls I do Zumba everyday and its killing my shoulders an back so hopefully that will work xx
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I've got the opposite problem to you. My back fat was one of the first things to go. From the back, i look really slim and toned, but when i turn around, my belly fat gives me away. I know it'll go in its own time- at least i hope it will! lol

this is me exactly!! It took 4-6 months of weight training the muscles in my back, but I have virtually NO back fat anymore. When I first started weight training, I looked like I had a set of boobs on my back

this is me 4 months before I started exercising

7729114768_eeefdd2e34_s.jpg
    IMG00184-20111007-0934 by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

this is me 4 months after starting to exercise

7719009094_f62ecbece8_s.jpg
    IMG00566-20120621-1238 by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

sorry about the crappy pic--my 6 year old took it

ETA please notice that I am wearing the EXACT same outfit. I had only lost about 15lbs at that point...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You cant spot reduce as already mentioned but heavy weight training is more effective at cutting fat.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Part of it I think is that i have a short torso. But i also have fat around my armpit area and fat that spills over my bra in the back. I weigh 126 and it doesn't seem to be getting any better.

I could have written this.^^^^ So frustrating.
  • ILoveFroggies
    ILoveFroggies Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    OH MY GOSH.
    BACK FAT IS SO BLOODY DISGUSTING.
    EW.

I have so much of it too. :S

The worst thing is when you're wearing a dress and all of your back fat is overflowing and bulging out of the sides.

No, unfortunately, there's no way to target a specific area for fat reduction, you just have to get rid of fat everywhere!
  • Temple_Fit
    Temple_Fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    You cant spot reduce as already mentioned but heavy weight training is more effective at cutting fat.

I agree. I lift and love the results that I am achieving. Here are some great back exercises:
    Wide Grip Lat Pulldown
    Seated Cable Row
    One Arm Dumb-bell(DB) Row
    Back Extension
    Bent Over Barbell Row
    Pull-ups
  • P90XBowler
    P90XBowler Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I was going to say, pull ups wouldn't hurt! It helped me a lot
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Strength training has also worked for me, and I am an apple shape, so have had issues with back fat.
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options

I could have written this.^^^^ So frustrating.

yip. i hear you ladies!