2lbs overnight?!

Options
Okay so I upped my calories from 1200 to 1360 (this is the goal mfp gave me). I weighed two days ago and I went up about half a lb, weighed yesterday and weight was back to normal and the half a lb gone. Weighed just now and im up by 2lbs! What? I usually weigh myself in between 9-10am.. its 10.45 now surely 45 minutes wont make a difference?! I haven't had breakfast yet because i've been to busy, but I have had half a can of diet coke, would that have effected it this much? Usually I don't drink anything before I weight myself. I'm gutted :(
I know I shouldn't weigh myself everyday, i've been trying not to but I was really scared this was going to happen so I wanted to try and find out before I put to much weight back on.
Yesterday I did eat quite a bit.. but I was still under my calorie goal and other goals. Hate this :( I had 70 days of no loss what so ever and then I finally lost nearly 5lbs in two weeks I was so happy! (eating healthily by the way wasn't cutting anything out) Now I know that even though now it would count as 3lbs in two week I know that is also good, but i've been at this since January/Febuary and only lost 18lbs.. 16lbs now that this 2lb is back on :(

Does anyone have any advice please?

Replies

• lkhartmann1
    lkhartmann1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    don't weigh yourself everyday or you will get discouraged. It could be how your body processes certain food. I had mac n cheese for dinner two nights in a row. I gained two lbs despite I was under my calorie count. the next day I had more protein etc and was down 3 lbs including the 2lbs I had gained by eating the pasta. It is hard, but you have to look at the long term and not focus on the weight on any particular day... (or at least that is what I am telling myself..)
  • virginia65us
    virginia65us Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged! I'm pretty sure that has nothing to do with you increasing your calories a bit. Sometimes our bodies just hang onto a little water or something. I'm certaint that if you keep doing what you've been doing, including drinking plenty of water, you'll be back down in a day or two.
  • bexxxster
    bexxxster Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thank you for replying :)
    For a few weeks I was making myself meals of mainly veg and chicken, or soups or small pasta dishes. But last night I had homemade flapjacks and two bowls of beef stew. And then also snacks in the evening (mainly fruit) I try not to weigh myself everyday I usually weigh once every 5-7 days.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    If you ate more than usual yesterday, even if you were under your goal, you will have more food in your system than usual. If that food included more sodium or carbs than usual, then you will be retaining more water than usual. Food and water both have weight. You haven't put on 2 lbs of fat overnight.

It's fine to weigh every day if you like doing that, but you have to learn pretty quickly not to freak out every time that number goes up. I weigh every day and it goes up probably 3 days a week on average. It doesn't matter though, because the overall trend is still going down.
  • thevikingninja
    Options
    yeah, don't worry about it! I have gone up 5 lbs overnight, as well as down. It's just your body retaining water after a lot of salt or a change in diet. I'm bad and weigh once or twice a day (don't judge! even when I weigh more it's still exciting to see the number so much lower than my high weight) so I don't let it get to me. Typically I gain 2-3 pounds throughout the day, and it's gone (and then some sometimes!) the next morning.
    Bodies are just weird. You're just more aware of it now that you're trying to lose weight.
  • bexxxster
    Options
    If you ate more than usual yesterday, even if you were under your goal, you will have more food in your system than usual. If that food included more sodium or carbs than usual, then you will be retaining more water than usual. Food and water both have weight. You haven't put on 2 lbs of fat overnight.

It's fine to weigh every day if you like doing that, but you have to learn pretty quickly not to freak out every time that number goes up. I weigh every day and it goes up probably 3 days a week on average. It doesn't matter though, because the overall trend is still going down.

Hi, I know I can't put on 2lbs of fat on overnight, its just scared me lol. I usually don't freak out when i weight everyday because I know that my weight can change alot during the day! Oh I just hope it comes off easy and it won't be up again the next time I weight myself. I only had 5lbs to go until my next stone and I was so excited. Was such a bummer to see i'm now 7lbs away from losing my next stone today :(
  • csharp62
    csharp62 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I agree iwth the other posters - don't get discouraged at all. I weigh everyday. Sometimes you see spikes. I suggest weighing at the same time everyday. I find it best to do it first thing in the morning before eating or drinking anything. That way you will see what your body weighs after getting rest. Good Luck!
  • btanton27
    btanton27 Posts: 186 Member
    Options

This!!!
  • bexxxster
    Options
    Thanks everyone! A bit less freaked out now by it lol. Don't know what i'd do without everyone on MFP to be honest I probably would've given up by now! :)xx
  • hoffma25
    Options
    No worries! It has nothing to do with actual weight gain. It has to do with the amount of water your body is retaining, as well as the amount of BM built up in your colon. We can hold anywhere from 5-6lbs in fecal matter alone. Trying upping water intake, and see where it goes from there. That should not only help with the water retention, but it should aid with cleansing your colon as well.
  • lettie1955
    Options

I completely agree with this assessment.
  • _Mary_L
    _Mary_L Posts: 18
    Options
    also, if you are close to "those" days of the month.... you can "gain" 2lbs easily... but they will go away within a week ;-)
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

Hi, I know I can't put on 2lbs of fat on overnight, its just scared me lol.

But, it's fat you're trying to lose, right? :)
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I fluctuate up to 5lbs per day.
    Measure weekly and youll see the loss for what it really is.
    Measure daily and youll drive yourself crazy.
  • morpho226
    Options
    Water retention!!!!!
    If I eat anything with lots of salt( popcorn with seasoning, Vietnamese, ext.) I will literally be up 6 lbs and it takes I few days to get rid of it. I have to eat a lot if grapefruit and drink lemon water.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    bump
  • judsywudsy
    judsywudsy Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I suggest you try weighing when as soon as u wake after using the bathroom. I find that as soon as i start to get active , i put on a few more ounces throughout the day.
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER

Gain! Unless you ate 7000 calories during your sleep.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Don't worry! This is about long term with direction moving toward your goal weight and health goals. If you see the scale continuing to climb change the amount of calories per day for your diary. Good luck!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Okay so I upped my calories from 1200 to 1360 (this is the goal mfp gave me). I weighed two days ago and I went up about half a lb, weighed yesterday and weight was back to normal and the half a lb gone. Weighed just now and im up by 2lbs! What? I usually weigh myself in between 9-10am.. its 10.45 now surely 45 minutes wont make a difference?! I haven't had breakfast yet because i've been to busy, but I have had half a can of diet coke, would that have effected it this much? Usually I don't drink anything before I weight myself. I'm gutted :(
    I know I shouldn't weigh myself everyday, i've been trying not to but I was really scared this was going to happen so I wanted to try and find out before I put to much weight back on.
    Yesterday I did eat quite a bit.. but I was still under my calorie goal and other goals. Hate this :( I had 70 days of no loss what so ever and then I finally lost nearly 5lbs in two weeks I was so happy! (eating healthily by the way wasn't cutting anything out) Now I know that even though now it would count as 3lbs in two week I know that is also good, but i've been at this since January/Febuary and only lost 18lbs.. 16lbs now that this 2lb is back on :(

Does anyone have any advice please?

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, hormones, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You cannot make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.
    What is the exact number of calories for you?

We’ve been trying to figure out an exact NUMBER of calories that everyone should be eating, without recognizing that everyone is slightly different. In truth, the calories aren’t the end game. Your body is. So the EXACT amount of Calories that are right for you is the EXACT amount that will allow you to maintain your ideal bodyweight no matter what some calculator or chart says.

In other words, an online calculator might tell you that you need to eat 2,500 calories
    per day to maintain your ideal bodyweight. But the only way to know for sure if this is
    the right amount for you is to test it out. If you gain weight or can’t lose weight eating
    that much, then you know you need to eat less to lose weight no matter how many
    calculators and text books say otherwise.

This doesn’t mean your metabolism is broken, it just means the estimate of your needs
    was just a bit off.

-John Barban (The Body Centric Calorie Guide from the Venus Index and Adonis Index Manuals)