Diagnosed with insulin resistance - help?

Options
Hi all,

I had some blood work done Tuesday and was notified yesterday of some news that was VERY shocking to me. My insulin level was at 19, putting me at insulin resistance level and ask risk for type two diabetes. This just floored me. As a teenage I weighed 350ish pounds and I was fine. Now I only weigh 196 and I'm terrified, especially as my mom has juvenile diabetes and I feel I might be at greater risk. I was put onto Metformin.

I do not want to deal with this beast AT ALL. No screwing around with me, I want to eat the right foods and get my insulin level down because I have seen the personal hell my mom has gone through her whole life because of diabetes. I know I need to limit sugar and carbs. Sugar isn't much of an issue for me, but I LOVE carbs - pasta, bread, potatoes, you name it.

Does anyone have any suggestions for foods I should be eating? I'm supposed to go back to the doctor next Tuesday but I want to get started on this NOW. Also, what about exercise? I currently walk 10,000 steps (about 3.3 miles) 6 days/week, use the elliptical for an hour 2 days/week, do a 30-minute cardio workout on my Nintendo 4 days.week, and most days I do a few minutes of weight lifting and exercises with an exercise ball. Is that enough? Should I change up my routine?

Thanks very much for any help.