Veggie Haters, how do you get your veggies in?

Options
124»

Replies

• Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Just put cheese on your veggies (parmasan, Velveetta, Cheddar). Most kids learn to love vegetables that way. Then wean off of the cheese when you get used to the texture.

I'll be honest, I don't understand peoples aversion to common vegetables. If food was short and you were in a survival situation, you probably wouldn't survive - unless you are a good hunter!

First, I appreciate the tips, but cheese isn't on my meal plan really so I'm trying to avoid it. I'm doing the Leanbody program that Lee Lebrada has on bodybuilding.com

Second, I'm a great hunter and fisherman. Vegetarian is an old Indian word for "bad hunter" :laugh:
    Sack up and eat them...........No, seriously.

I'm trying to man up brother, lol! It's the texture that make me chuck it back up sometimes. I've been doing pretty good this week. I've both blended baby carrots into some of my recovery shakes. It gave it a nice texture and interesting flavor with my vanilla Sysnta 6, a banana, milk, and cinnamon. And I also ate some carrots raw.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions from you that offered actual solutions, I will definitely be referring to this thread for more ideas.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I'm curious. How are you cooking your vegetables? I know I don't steam my broccoli or too long or it gets kinda soggy and nasty. You don't want to steam veggies for long. I wait till the broccoli turns bright green and it's pretty much done.
  • alleycat55
    alleycat55 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I also can't stand green veggies, although I will now eat certain kinds of lettuce with plenty of dressing and/or other toppings. I thought it was a texture issue, so I actually tried eating baby food when feeding my daughter, but I discovered I didn't like that any better.

To compensate, I try to eat more fruit and I have started taking a supplement called Garden Veggies:

http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Way-Garden-Veggies-Vcaps/dp/B0009ETA80

I also sometimes use NatraBurst in smoothies.
  • rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
    Look up the recipe on here for zucchini tots...I swear they taste just like tater tots. You can just leave out the Parmesan if you're not eating cheese. Also steam cauliflower and mash it and then season like you would mashed potatoes or stir it into sauces.
  • adbohls
    adbohls Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    My hubby HATES veggies, too, but LOVES Birds Eye Voila!! His favorite is Alfredo Chicken. We tried Great Value and Stauffer's, but they did not have very many vegetables in them. He has even had me start cooking more vegetable to add to it. I also have to make them almost mush. I also suggest Birds Eye Steamfresh Chef's Favorites. They have a light sauce and/or seasoning and are still really low in calories. I've tried Green Giant and some of them aren't bad either, but I always go back to Birds Eye. I think they have a more natural (non-artificial) flavor to them. My favorites are Asian Medley, Green Beans with a Twist, and the Chicken flavored rice.

Check out www.birdseye.com and they links at the bottom of the page to see how many different varieties they have. There are also a lot of recipes to try that are really yummy.
  • adbohls
    adbohls Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I also can't stand green veggies, although I will now eat certain kinds of lettuce with plenty of dressing and/or other toppings. I thought it was a texture issue, so I actually tried eating baby food when feeding my daughter, but I discovered I didn't like that any better.

To compensate, I try to eat more fruit and I have started taking a supplement called Garden Veggies:

http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Way-Garden-Veggies-Vcaps/dp/B0009ETA80

I also sometimes use NatraBurst in smoothies.

Baby food is yucky!! It's bland and watery.
  • ggsmamma
    ggsmamma Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Best smoothie ever -- Frozen mango, pineapple, a crap load of spinach/kale, and some sort of juice or water to get the blender to spin.

Also, have you tried saag paneer? It is an indian food dish made with creamed spinach and cubes of paneer (cow cheese). To cut calories, you could also make it with Tofu. My husband is not the biggest veggie eater and he loves it.
  • Lizzym911
    Lizzym911 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    When i make meat loaf i grate up carrots and zucchini an add it , and when i make spaghetti i chop up eggplant and add it to the sauce and my very picky nephews and nieces never knew they were eating veggies... =)
  • heidejo
    heidejo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I steam cauliflower and food process it into everything...it works with some cooked mushrooms too. This is especially good if you are making something with ground meat since the texture is similar. Yellow squash and zuchinni would work pretty well too. Also, give spaghetti squash a try. Cut it in half....bake it cut side down and use a fork to shred the inside. Mix it half and half with your pasta to start and increase the amount if you like it and/or get used to it.

Good luck...I like fruits and vegetables and I am finding, now that I am writing everything down, that I don't eat near enough.
  • LilEmm
    LilEmm Posts: 240
    Options
    Kale or seaweed chips, too. They're pretty good.

Has the cauliflower pizza crust already been included? Could probably use Daliya or another vegan cheese....

http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2012/08/the-astonishing-cauliflower-pizza-crust-you-have-to-taste-it-to-believe-it.html
  • iqnas
    iqnas Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    bump