If i exersise 5 days a week and drink beer once a week

Options
Will drinking the beer ruin my 5 day workout or will exersising 5 days a week burn off the beer i drink once a week? I work out monday-friday, drink beer on saturday and relax on sunday. I will be maintaining a healthy diet while doing all this btw

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Depends on how many beers we're talking about and how much exercise.

If you're eating at a caloric deficit to start with and approximately negating the calories from your barley sandwiches (a colloquial Canadian euphemism for beer) I don't see a problem.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    How much beer and how much exercise? Track everything and aim for a 3,500 calorific deficit over the course of the week rather than 500 a day and you'll lose just fine. I try to only drink out of my exercise calories to make sure I get all the nutrition I need out of my food first.
  • joebob66
    Options
    what kind of beer? sam adams is about 200 calories. i love that stuff, 5 sam adams=1000 calories, i can burn 1000 in 2 exercise sessions, then all is good,,have to have beer while watching college football
  • meat_sack
    Options
    I think it's okay. I'm considered a "moderate drinker" and I'm still losing weight, just by counting the calories. Also, Guinness is only 125 calories per bottle! Crazy, huh?
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Will drinking the beer ruin my 5 day workout or will exersising 5 days a week burn off the beer i drink once a week? I work out monday-friday, drink beer on saturday and relax on sunday. I will be maintaining a healthy diet while doing all this btw

All it takes is a calorie deficit to lose weight. The fat cells don't care what the calories are. If you can drink beer and honestly count the calories in your calorie budget then you will continue to lose. Your budget can be weekly or daily. You choose. Count the beer calories honestly and see what happens. Maybe you have room in your calories budget for a beer, most people don't if they want to fuel their body for a nice workout the next day.
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Before I logged my food I pounded the fire water on the weekends and still lost....but I was heavier then so I had more wiggle room.
  • phishn4peace
    phishn4peace Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I count calories and exercise about 5 days a week(I have a large calorie deficit everyday that I workout). I def let loose on the weekends, after my half marathon training. I always make sure I workout (at least get a run in) if I am going to hit the sauce that day. I have lost 24 pounds doing this. My last 4 pounds, which consists of my FUPA, probably will never leave because of this (and because of all the sugar I consume during the week in fruits, veggies, and clif/granola bars), but I am totally ok with this.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    You treat it like you treat anything else. You know it's not nutritious, so you avoid loading up on it. You know it's a high-calorie, carb-dense indulgence, so you do your best to fit it in your macros.

The biggest issue with alcohol is its ability to slow down your metabolic process when drunk in large quantities. Don't binge on it and you'll be fine - one beer is certainly not going to undo an entire week of eating healthy and working out.
  • Slove009
    Slove009 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I had a beer on Tuesday! Week is not wrecked! Although, I went straight home and hopped on the eliptical afterward!
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I drink a beer or a glass of wine most nights, and have two or three on a weekend night. I'm still losing a pound or so a week. I run, a lot, and I fit the alcohol within my weekly calorie counts. You have to drink a *lot* of alcohol for it to directly affect your weight loss (as in actually slow you metabolic process), so unless you're drinking a case of beer every Saturday it's just another figure to put into your calories in-calories out equation.