calculating calories burned

Options
I don't have a heart rate monitor, and I know I should get one, but I'm a little strapped for cash right now. I'm just wondering if anyone could give me a ballpark.

This morning I did p90x cardio, and then I go to work at a Deli, where I stand or walk briskly, lift heavy things, bend etc. all day. My other job is in a library, where I am constantly bending, and lifting as well. So basically I'm trying to figure out with a work out, and very active jobs, how much am I burning? Thanks for the help!

Replies

• kingnatalie
    Options
    When you set up your profile your job type was taken into consideration when calculating the amount of calories you can eat each day, so you shouldn't have to worry about that. I don't have p90x cardio so I can't really help you out there.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I agree, don't count work stuff, or anything you do as part of your daily (non-exercise) activity, rather adjust your activity level accordingly.

as to exercise calories, Google Perceived Rate of Exertion, that should help you. It isn't as accurate as an HRM, but it should get you in the ballpark.
  • tangledsky
    Options
    I know you're strapped for cash, but...

If you can save $60: Timex Personal Trainer Heart Rate Monitor T5G971
    If you can save $40: Omron HR-100C Heart Rate Monitor (this one is currently on sale on Amazon - $33 w free shipping)
    If you can save $30: Oregon Scientific SE211 Vibra Trainer Fit Heart Rate Monitor

Additionally, I would also recommend against counting calories for work. While it may be accurate, I think that it will encourage you to work out less because you will feel like you've already burned enough calories for the day. If you're trying to lose weight this isn't really the way to go.

Good luck!
  • MegKat
    MegKat Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I was just curious is all about the calories, I'm still working out 5 days a week! And thanks for the HRM info, paydays tomorrow!
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    I gotta say it. None of the heart rate monitors listed below will hold up like the Polar ones do. Read the reviews on Amazon.com and drugstore.com before you buy one. You don't want to pay $40 for something, have it last a whopping five months max and then have to buy something else. Seriously. Save your money and get the Polar F6 or F11.
    I just bought the F6 and I LOVE it.
    As a reference...I weigh 216, 32 years old, 5'5". Last Tuesday's work out for example: 10 min on treadmill, 10 circuit training with weights, 25 elliptical = 418 cals burned at a medium heart rate.