Winter running....

Options
2»

Replies

• reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I really appreciate the info.

I live in eastern Canada and the winters can be unpredictable. So I am going to take it as it comes, see how it goes.
    I will invest in the ice grippers and some good winter socks. I have it in the back of my mind to do a hypo half in Jan 2013 but like I said, i have never run outside in winter before. So thought I'd get a feel from others on what to do. Thanks everyone.

And the pup in the picture is my 2 year old black Lab and her name is Midnight. And yes, she is adorable. :happy:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I use the same runners but if it's icy out, I use 'Get a grip' ice cleats or 'Yak Trax' on my shoes.

PS. I like the dog in your pic!

This'll be my first "real" New England Winter (at least I expect it will be, we can't have two in a row like last year), but this is my plan as well.

Maybe we can, I attribute last year's mild winter to the fact that (for the first time ever) I hired a contractor to clear the snow, I suspect he had a very profitable year.If everyone on MFP sends me a dollar I'll hire him again and we'll have no snow........:laugh:
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    We have pretty brutal winters down here in central Texas and I use the same shoes year round.
  • ndblades
    ndblades Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Hi ya what i do is if its icy go cross country on grass nowhere near as much slippery x :bigsmile:

^^ How does this work if there is 4 feet of snow? LOLOL

I've been asking this question, too, and most people recommend using yak tracks. Personally, I've cracked my knee cap falling on ice before and have found an indoor track in a field house I'll be training in when it's super cold (probably 10d F will be my limit without windchill)

4 feet of snow -- -SNOWSHOE or CROSS COUNTRY SKI! Seriously give them a thought - they are super total body workouts. But if you want to stick to running - do what the others do.

Also -- don't forget the pup -- buy "boots" for him or he will be stopping often to get the snow out of the paws. We even have a neoprene vest for our older lab, a must if it is wet (we use it mostly for hunting).....we have 2 black labs and a golden retriever -- they stay in our heated garage - but neither lab does well with the extreme cold. (the golden will lay in the snow in -40 weather!)