I Can't Eat

Options

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    The bariatric doctor knows how much food you need. She also knows that you have some psychological issue that led you to be so overweight at such a young age.

Now that you are having to make a change, all your issues are going to have to be dealt with - and they are all going to come up and require you to deal with them if you want to recover. You can no longer see food as a way to medicate your emotions. But the flip side of this is that you can't use restricting to calm your emotions, either. If hunger isn't the problem, food isn't the solution. Ever.

Ask your bariatric doctor for a referral to a counselor. I would think that would be a part of any bariatric practice anyway. Maybe she is waiting for you to ask. Therapy only works if the patient allows it to work.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    eat a twinkie
  • CATindeeHAT
    CATindeeHAT Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    She's a bariatric doctor that I was referred to by my primary care physician, so this is technically her specialty. It's just hard, because, she's basically saying, "Food is fuel, stop thinking of it as enjoyable."

They say it takes 30 days to make a habit love.

Just try and stay strong and with each passing day it will get easier.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    My brother had some really wise words one time, and although to most it'll probably considered bad taste and tacky...but the point is still relevant.

He was trying a new frozen dinner while I was over there and I asked him how it was, he sat there for a moment as though he was deep in thought, and after a minute he looked at me and said, "It's not really that good." Right afterwards he took another big bite as though it was the best thing on the planet. The response and the action didn't match so I asked him, "If it's not that good, why are you still eating it?" His response was simply,"Because, even though it's not that good, it'll make you poop."

His point was, it's just food. Sometimes it's good, sometimes its bad, but the whole point of food is to eat it, digest it, get what fuel we can from it, and let it go.
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    she's basically saying, "Food is fuel, stop thinking of it as enjoyable."

I'd punch someone RIGHT IN THE FACE if they told me this...

I'm nosy... any particular reason you are going the bariatric route? I'm not trying to judge, but I have about 80lbs to lose to be in my "healthy" weight range and I've decided I'm just not interested. Weight is just the number- it says nothing about what your body really is, your composition. Given I can only see your head and don't know what your efforts have been like, but bariatric surgery is SERIOUS and in my opinion a "last resort" type of thing.

If food wasn't meant to be enjoyable, it would taste like dog ****. My doctor and I talk about weight all the time. He is TOTALLY against a VLCD for me. I am aware that this is "me and my doctor," but I think my doctor is awesome and based on her telling you that food is only fuel, think your doctor sucks *kitten*.

Edited to add: You CAN eat. You WON'T eat. In therapy, even treating ED, this is the simple truth. CAN'T is a cognitive distortion- some ****ed up thought you've let poison your mind. First step is STOP SAYING YOU CAN'T. Find something you enjoy, that you don't think of as just fuel, and bite it.
  • victorianesque
    victorianesque Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    No, you're absolutely right. I think the problem is that, I love food. I've spent the past two years going down from over 320 lbs by eating healthy, limiting my portions, and learning to appreciate foods that are good for my body. I think I'm just frustrated, because I've done all this work, the progress completely stalled, and now I'm basically being told that I should choose a protein bar over egg whites and spinach.

I looked at her, and I was like, "I don't think I would enjoy a protein bar for dinner. Can't I have egg whites and veggies instead?" And she said, "That's your problem. It shouldn't matter what it is, as long as it's fueling your body."

I felt like an idiot. Like she was part of some superior, high-thinking race of people that wouldn't deign to suggest that eating scrambled egg whites might be more enjoyable than eating a protein bar.

Am I completely wrong here? Is this how skinny, healthy people think of food, as a means to an end? The whole experience has just made me completely doubt my ability to make proper choices, and I think that's where the distaste for food has come from. It's not so much that I dislike food, or even nutritious food, just that I'm scared that I am just completely missing the point.

Meh.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I looked at her, and I was like, "I don't think I would enjoy a protein bar for dinner. Can't I have egg whites and veggies instead?" And she said, "That's your problem. It shouldn't matter what it is, as long as it's fueling your body."

...what. That is absolutely ridiculous. Yes, food fuels your body, but it also provides enjoyment. This is why people celebrate with feasts. Denying that there's a difference between a protein bar you hate and an egg white scramble you would enjoy is just ridiculous, ignorant and, in my opinion, downright disordered. Eating should be an enjoyable experience, not a chore. Yes, you're more likely to overdo it when you like it, but you're also more likely to crash and burn if you try to force yourself into something you absolutely despise.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

...what. That is absolutely ridiculous. Yes, food fuels your body, but it also provides enjoyment. This is why people celebrate with feasts. Denying that there's a difference between a protein bar you hate and an egg white scramble you would enjoy is just ridiculous, ignorant and, in my opinion, downright disordered. Eating should be an enjoyable experience, not a chore. Yes, you're more likely to overdo it when you like it, but you're also more likely to crash and burn if you try to force yourself into something you absolutely despise.

Yeah, I agree. I can't believe a doctor would tell you to eat a protein bar rather than real food that is perfectly healthy and nutritious. It is ok to like the taste of food. We just have to learn how to make healthy choices. If there are certain foods that you simply cannot control, then you might need to stay away from those, but goodness, fresh veggies and lean protein are always a better choice than processed food.
  • _granola
    _granola Posts: 326
    Options

Agreed - ridiculous. Most of the people who have been successful on here will tell you that they ate pretty much whatever they wanted in moderation and ate within their calorie goal most of the time (and they had calorie goals way over 1,000 calories). You can still cook things you love to eat, bake, have treats now and then, work hard and find different types of exercise you love doing and be successful. It takes patience and perseverance and constantly educating yourself.

One awesome blog I've come to love is called go kaleo. Check her out. She's got awesome things to say that might help. gokaleo.com
  • karmahunger
    karmahunger Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    You can still enjoy food and keep to 1000 calories. My dad always says; "Eat breakfast like a King, Lunch like a Queen and Dinner like a peasant."

If you eat a big breakfast and drink water throughout the day (hot water makes you feel full longer) then you won't be as hungry, and you can still enjoy food. There are tons of low calorie and filling meals out there!

Stay strong and remember, this is for you. Food is fuel, but it should also be fun and yum.
  • _granola
    Options
    You can still enjoy food and keep to 1000 calories. My dad always says; "Eat breakfast like a King, Lunch like a Queen and Dinner like a peasant."

If you eat a big breakfast and drink water throughout the day (hot water makes you feel full longer) then you won't be as hungry, and you can still enjoy food. There are tons of low calorie and filling meals out there!

Stay strong and remember, this is for you. Food is fuel, but it should also be fun and yum.

No. Stop.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    She's a bariatric doctor that I was referred to by my primary care physician, so this is technically her specialty. It's just hard, because, she's basically saying, "Food is fuel, stop thinking of it as enjoyable."

Wow, she specializes in bariatric medicine and doesn't want you to enjoy food (did she say that?)? Something is wrong here. Try to get another opinion, if that is possible. Also, trust yourself. If she's giving advice like that I wouldn't be able to trust her as far as I could throw her. 1000 calories is not adequate for most people, but I don't know your situation.

I'm eating about 1550 calories right now because I am still over 200 pounds. I almost never reach my goal but I am always full. I eat healthy food, for the most part, that is high in fat/protein and low in carbs. I have LOTS of food satisfaction and strangely (actually not strange at all), that is what keeps me from over-eating. When I have low food satisfaction, I want to eat and eat and never feel full.

I think making food the enemy will backfire. Unfortunately, food is not something that we can just "quit" so it is useful to develop a postive relationship with healthy food.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    No, you're absolutely right. I think the problem is that, I love food. I've spent the past two years going down from over 320 lbs by eating healthy, limiting my portions, and learning to appreciate foods that are good for my body. I think I'm just frustrated, because I've done all this work, the progress completely stalled, and now I'm basically being told that I should choose a protein bar over egg whites and spinach.

I felt like an idiot. Like she was part of some superior, high-thinking race of people that wouldn't deign to suggest that eating scrambled egg whites might be more enjoyable than eating a protein bar.

Am I completely wrong here? Is this how skinny, healthy people think of food, as a means to an end? The whole experience has just made me completely doubt my ability to make proper choices, and I think that's where the distaste for food has come from. It's not so much that I dislike food, or even nutritious food, just that I'm scared that I am just completely missing the point.

Meh.

Who has convinced you that you cannot eat whole eggs? I don't know an animal in nature that finds an egg and only eats the white. We are animals (at least physically-not looking for a religious debate!) and we need healthy, whole food. And a doctor recommending protein bars? Dump her.

The fat phobia that has been so heavily promoted since the 1980s sure hasn't helped the obesity epidemic. You just might discover some reasons why that is if you investigate things (lots of research) and not just talk to your doctor about what you can and can't eat. She has her own opinions, and from what I can tell, they are NOT health-promoting opinions.
  • karmahunger
    Options
    @Granola,

What do you mean "No. Stop". That's not even helpful.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    My suggestion? Dump her, find some other form of support to deal with the emotional issues behind your eating and attitude towards eating, and work from there. Once you deal with the emotional issues, the rest will fall into place. Eating 1000 calories and being convinced by some ignorant bariatric doctor who recommends artificial food(protein bars) over natural foods (eggs and veggies) is a recipe for disaster and as you can already see, is messing around with your head. You honestly don't need it. Get onto a sensible diet again, everyone stalls, read about plateaus and the different ways of breaking them, persevere and turn this unhealthy mindset around before it totally takes over. Food is fuel, but it is also one of life's enjoyments when you do fuel up.
  • _granola
    Options
    @Granola,

What do you mean "No. Stop". That's not even helpful.

Read the rest of the thread. 1,000 calories per day is not healthy, especially with the way OP is being told to think about food. We are trying to help, not give ways to continue disordered eating behaviors and thoughts.
  • karmahunger
    Options
    Wtf, "Granola" her doctor told her to go on 1000 calories a day. I'm not encouraging disordered eating habits. Maybe stop taking your anger out on people on the internet, who didn't say anything wrong, and instead focus on the reason you're on this site :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    OP - You're not "missing something". She said something you don't understand because it WAS an odd thing to say. Next time you see her, ask her to elaborate...she may not have meant it the way it came out, and if you tell her how it made you feel, she may be able to explain it a bit better.

People enjoy food. Thin people do, and if I were told I had to eat a Protein bar - for any reason - I'd tell the person, "Uh, no thanks." If you like egg whites and spinach, eat egg whites and spinach.

I don't like salmon. I live in the Pacific NW, and everyone likes salmon. Except me. If someone told me I had to eat salmon, I wouldn't learn to love it. I wouldn't eat. It comes up at parties and such all the time, because it's a classic NW food. I've tried it, several different ways. I'm not going to suddenly love it.
  • _granola
    Options
    Wtf, "Granola" her doctor told her to go on 1000 calories a day. I'm not encouraging disordered eating habits. Maybe stop taking your anger out on people on the internet, who didn't say anything wrong, and instead focus on the reason you're on this site :)

No one is angry. I just don't think you understand what "disordered eating habits" means. It doesn't just include eating low calories. It includes thoughts and behaviors that the OP is describing, and anyone, including a doctor, who is encouraging those behaviors is doing damage.

One of the reasons I'm on this site is to help women, like the OP, from believing they need to starve themselves, hate food, and hate themselves to be healthy and fit.
  • karmahunger
    Options
    I have an ED, first of all, so don't go acting all holier-than-thou.

And I don't feel it's your place to say anything against a DOCTOR.

It still didn't make snese for you to say "no. stop" to me. You clearly just believe you're a wiser person and can be rude.