Full body workout for beginners (and my obese self)

Options
I want a total body work out (for beginners of course) routine but I don't know where to start! I do cardio, but I don't have a gym membership (working on it) and I want to do some basic strength training exercises. I have two 2lb dumbbells, two 3lbs dumbbells and one 10lb one. Let's keep in mind I am old and fat ok?

Replies

• beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Bump! Hope you don't mind but I'd like to know too
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    All you need are those dumbbells. With them you can do:

Squats
    Lunges
    Dynamic Lunges
    Bulgarian Split Squats

Bench Press
    Shoulder Press

Bent Over Rows

Without them you can do:

Push Ups
    Planks
    Crunches of various kinds (mix em up)

Google all of the above, in addition to instructions, I'm sure you'll find other ideas.

Just do it!
  • drakechic08
    drakechic08 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Self.com has a lot of strength exersize ideas that you can do at home. I would check that out. Also, a lot of the workout DVD's like 30DS mix cardio and strength training, so you might want to look into something like that. Just doing things like squats, lunges, plank etc will get you started on the right track.
  • maro_p
    maro_p Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Bump because I like this :-)
  • jenniferillene
    jenniferillene Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I like the 30 day shred..you can start out at your pace and your gradually incline to the next workouts within the month..definatly has good strength and cardio together :)
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Google "beginner bodyweight workout" for more suggestions than you can shake a stick at. I can't find the one I started with, but this is close: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/ . Just remember: go at your own pace, take breaks when you need to, and modify the exercises as necessary. I started with wall pushups and bench sits instead of pushups and squats - you'll progress pretty quickly to being able to do the real things.
  • ohnoetry
    ohnoetry Posts: 129
    Options
    Also, lots of parks have free pool access, give swimming a try!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    You can work with what you have. Google beginner dumbbell exercises and pick out one or two for:

Upper body

Your chest
    Your shoulders (deltoids and trapezius)
    Your arm (biceps and triceps)

Lower body

Thighs and legs (squats and lunges)
    Calf (calf raises)

Do one or two sets of 8 to 12 reps to start. Concentrate on form. Rest 48 hours between sessions. See where you are after a month.
  • grecogab90
    grecogab90 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ai1992
    ai1992 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If you have an iphone or something similar you can buy apps with, try the Nike Training app. It's wonderful. You can go at your own pace and pause workouts if you need to. There are a ton of different workouts to do from very general to very specific. I think I got it for free a while back, but it may cost a tiny bit now, but it is very worth it. When you log this, it would go under "circut training". Hope this helps!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    You can work with what you have. Google beginner dumbbell exercises and pick out one or two for:

Upper body

Your chest
    Your shoulders (deltoids and trapezius)
    Your arm (biceps and triceps)

Lower body

Thighs and legs (squats and lunges)
    Calf (calf raises)

Do one or two sets of 8 to 12 reps to start. Concentrate on form. Rest 48 hours between sessions. Work out three times a week. See where you are after a month.
  • Valm0n
    Valm0n Posts: 88
    Options
    Very interesting workouts, I'll write 'em down, thanks a lot :-)
  • thatsingergirl
    thatsingergirl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    There's a website called Dailyburn.com which you can subscribe to, and they will take into account your goals and your level, and send you a workout to do (via internet) each day (or however often you need to stay on track to your goal).

They have a ton of variety; aerobics, yoga, pilates, weight training, etc. It's cool!
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Start with the basics.

Legs, Push, Pull

For legs - Squats
    When they start to get easy follow the progression -> weighted squats, split squats, weighted split squats, one leg wall sits, pistol squats, weighted pistol squats, shrimp squats
    If you aren't strong enough to do a squat, do wall sits until you are.

For push - Pushups
    When they start to get easy follow the progression -> feet elevated pushups, diamond pushups, archer pushups, incline one arm pushups, wide feet one arm pushups (no twist), narrow feet one arm pushups (no twist), pseudo planche pushups, pseudo maltese pushups, tuck planche pushups, straddle planche pushups, planche pushups
    If you aren't strong enough to do a pushup, do them on your knees to start

For pull - DB Rows
    When they start to get easy use the progression -> Chair Assist Chinups, Chinups, Pullups, L-sit Pullups, Tuck Lever Rows, Lever Rows, Ice Cream Makers, One arm chinups

Once you get comfortable with those 3 exercises you can add in:
    Vertical plane pushing - DB Overhead press, Handstands, Handstand Pushups, Press Handstands, 90 degree pushups, Floor L-sits, Dips
    Posterior Dominant Legs - Bodyweight Romanian Deadlift, King Deadlift, One leg Straight Bridge, Hand assisted Glute-Ham Raise, Glute Ham Raise
    Abs - Planks, Bicycle Crunches, Hollow Hold/Boat, L-sit, Dragon Flag
    Back - Bridge, Straight Bridge, Full Bridge/Wheel, Stand to Stand Bridge
    Side - Side Plank, Floor Wipers, (twist free one arm pushup), human flag

Google any exercises you don't know, there is a lot more stuff out there, this is just the basics.

Move on to the next harder variant as soon as you can. Start with 5 sets each, reduce it to 3 as you get stronger and recovery slows.
  • bigblue92710
    bigblue92710 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Calesthenics are great strength training exercises. For example, I do a crossfit workout that involves quick sets of pullups, pushups, situps and squats. This provides both bodyweight resistance training as well as a cardio workout due to high reps with short rest periods that keeps the heart rate up. Don't worry about bulking up, you will become tone with these high rep workouts.

For beginners, I know pushups and pullups can be intimidating but the only way to get better at them is to try! You can modify them by using a chair to stand on for pullups, or resistance bands... For pushups you can start by pushing off a wall, work down to knees then full. And even more, you can work different muscles based on how you position your arms!

BTW, I used to struggle with one pull up, now I can max out at 17.

Good luck!!
  • GeekGirl23
    GeekGirl23 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    JAZZERCISE!!!! it's been the change I needed
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    www.ExRx.net is a REALLY good and comprehensive site...it has a HUGE database of exercises, so don't overwhelm yourself. but, it has photo and video references on proper form and how-tos. it also has logs you can print off and fill out for progress and notes etc.
  • LiveLaffLoseLove
    Options
    30 Day Shred.... It mixes them both and only about 22 mins a day... It may be the longest 20 mins of your life, but it will get you moving in the right direction. I bought it on Vudu on my Bluray player, but I think its less than $10 now.
  • rhall9058
    rhall9058 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I want a total body work out (for beginners of course) routine but I don't know where to start! I do cardio, but I don't have a gym membership (working on it) and I want to do some basic strength training exercises. I have two 2lb dumbbells, two 3lbs dumbbells and one 10lb one. Let's keep in mind I am old and fat ok?

Before you do anything, read "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" (http://www.amazon.com/New-Rules-Lifting-Women-Goddess/dp/1583333398/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1349373110&sr=1-1&keywords=new+rules+of+lifting+for+women). This book has a very funny author but he walks you through the sense and the non-sense. If you follow the program is up to you, but he at least gives you the basic understanding of what you might be looking to acheive. HIGHLY SUGGESTED!! The below is the excerpt from Amazon:

A revolutionary fitness plan for women, focusing on weightlifting to create a lean, strong, feminine physique

In The New Rules of Lifting for Women, fitness experts and authors Lou Schuler and Alwyn Cosgrove continue their wildly popular New Rules of Lifting series with a comprehensive strength training, conditioning, and nutrition plan specifically designed to help women reap the benefits of weightlifting. Along with women’s fitness expert Cassandra Forsythe, they show how stepping off the treadmill and into the weight room can help women get the body they want.
  • NaturalinCO
    NaturalinCO Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Lots of good stuff here!! I started off with DVDs by Denise Austin. I got them from my library and did something most days/week. I do agree with the weights and weight-bearing stuff too, it'll change your body faster than just cardio. From Denise Austin I moved up to some taebo, Billy Blanks' Favorite Moves in particular. But really, Denise Austin has a TON of DVDs to choose from and they'll get you started in a great way that doesn't make you wanna DIE! I tried 30 Day Shred early on and I was so sore I was quickly turned off. But now 30DS is a breeze. Just start slow! And heck, maybe you can kill it on 30DS!! If you're where I was early on, Denise is the way to go. Good luck!