Need Ideas for Eating Healthy with Hectic Schedule

Options
cabaray
cabaray Posts: 971 Member
Starting in January, my schedule is going to explode. I work full-time, teach part-time and am starting back to school to get my Master's in Accounting. My schedule will look like this:

Monday - Work 8-4:30, drive 40 minutes, teach class from 6-8:50, get home around 9:30
Tuesday - Work 8-4:15, drive 90 minutes to school, class from 6-8:40, drive 90 minutes and get home around 10.
Wednesday - Work 8-4:30
Thursday - Same as Tuesday
Friday - Same as Wednesday

I have a stationary bike at home and can ride it every morning for 1/2 hour, so I'm not real concerned with fitting exercise in. I will be fine on Wednesday's and Friday's. Monday, Tuesday and Thursday are my concern. I am literally leaving my desk, getting in the car, getting to my destination and starting class. I'm not sure how to fit dinner in. I am resigned to the fact that I will have to eat in the car, but I don't want fast food and I need something that can be easily eaten while driving (I know, not the safest option). Any ideas???

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Starting in January, my schedule is going to explode. I work full-time, teach part-time and am starting back to school to get my Master's in Accounting. My schedule will look like this:

Monday - Work 8-4:30, drive 40 minutes, teach class from 6-8:50, get home around 9:30
    Tuesday - Work 8-4:15, drive 90 minutes to school, class from 6-8:40, drive 90 minutes and get home around 10.
    Wednesday - Work 8-4:30
    Thursday - Same as Tuesday
    Friday - Same as Wednesday

I have a stationary bike at home and can ride it every morning for 1/2 hour, so I'm not real concerned with fitting exercise in. I will be fine on Wednesday's and Friday's. Monday, Tuesday and Thursday are my concern. I am literally leaving my desk, getting in the car, getting to my destination and starting class. I'm not sure how to fit dinner in. I am resigned to the fact that I will have to eat in the car, but I don't want fast food and I need something that can be easily eaten while driving (I know, not the safest option). Any ideas???

Burritos work well for eating and driving
  • cabaray
    Options
    Sounds like I need to look up some healthy burrito recipes!
  • 10morekgtogo
    Options
    The most important thing with a hectic schedule is to think about your meals for the upcoming day/ days and make sure you prepare them the night before.
  • jacque930
    jacque930 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Cut up Fruits and Vegetables so you can grab a bite at a time. Wraps, just make ahead and cut into small pieces so easier to eat.
  • obeseto13point1
    obeseto13point1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    If you like cold chicken you could bake a bunch of chicken ahead of time and cut it up keep in a cooler. String Cheese, Fruit, Veggies are all easy things you could eat while driving.
  • drakechic08
    drakechic08 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Sandwhichs are easy and great along with baggies of veggies. Take some nuts and string cheese. You could even get those soups that come in the microwavable cups and drink it on your way to class.
  • Nerdinista
    Nerdinista Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Preparation is key. If I don't make everything on the weekends my whole week goes to hell. Perhaps a whole wheat pita cut in half with tuna or turkey/veg/whatever you like inside? Easy to hold one handed and eat on the go. Good luck, and congrats on pushing your life forward!
  • Laurej
    Laurej Posts: 227
    Options
    burritos are great! esp with pureed beans instead of whole

I love doing wraps. a little hummus and veggies, maybe a bit of chicken or turkey if you like meat. the hummus keeps everything stuck well so it's great for eating on the go.

premaking carrot, celery jimaca and broccoli pieces are great for stuffing in a bag to snack on. You can also stick some hummus in little to go containers for dipping in. just drop the container in your cup holder and dip n munch

pre freeze smoothie fruit so u can blend, throw in some kefir, flax seeds, chia seeds etc and blend and go

:flowerforyou:
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    i eat oatmeal while i drive, fruits, soup that u can drink or try to juggle a soup while u eat, salds (precut your chicken).

i tried cereal..not a good idea.
  • Flawless_K
    Flawless_K Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    In addition to the great ideas above, I would get really familiar with healthy options at restaurants along your route. The day will come when you forgot to pre- do anything in the kitchen and need to run to your nearest Subway, McD's, BK or whatever. Everyone has a salad with low cal dressing, Best Wishes to your MPA! I got mine in 2008...you will never regret it.
  • mdhummel
    mdhummel Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Packing your meals the night before helps (and it saves you a ton of money!!!). Cut up veggies and hummus or greek yogurt and fresh berries make healthy, yet delicious snack. My go-to snack when I need energy: raw almonds. If you find yourself eating more than ten then there are 100 calorie almond packs that you can buy.

There are so many cooler/lunch bag options. I especially like Fit and Fresh Lunch To Go containers: http://www.amazon.com/Stay-Fit-Deluxe-Salad-Freeze/dp/B003N3IF30/ref=pd_sim_hpc_6 There is a snap-in ice pack and a special compartment for your salad dressing so your lettuce won't get wilted. If you are tired of salads and don't have access to a microwave buy one of those thermoses that stay hot for eight hours and fill it with a healthy soup of your choice. Microwave the soup before you leave the house, pour it into your thermose, and voila: a healthy hot lunch!
  • msaestein1
    msaestein1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    In addition to the great ideas above, I would get really familiar with healthy options at restaurants along your route. The day will come when you forgot to pre- do anything in the kitchen and need to run to your nearest Subway, McD's, BK or whatever. Everyone has a salad with low cal dressing, Best Wishes to your MPA! I got mine in 2008...you will never regret it.
    I agree iwth the above comment. Another thing i do is to make sure I have food at work. Leave things in your office that you can eat. I am a blockhead in the morning and I ALWAYS forget something. I have instant oatmeal, Campbells Soup at Hand and other small things in my office. I also have a minifridge ( not sure if you can keep one where you work) but I am sure you have a desk with drawers. You may not have time to make a lunch, run out of food, or forget things, so this will help as well as knowing the menu at the restaurants. Besides, sometimes you just want something other than a brown bag lunch.
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I've been known to cram down meals in the car on my way from one event to another. Sandwiches are an obvious choice, but I think they pose a safety hazard... for me, at least, all the lovely veggies I want to have in my sandwich have a tendency to slide out of the sandwich and land in my lap, which can be a dangerous distraction at 60mph!

Pitas and wraps or burritos that you can keep partially wrapped in foil or plastic while you eat are a safer choice.

I agree with the suggestion to keep a stash of healthy snacks at work. Nuts, protein bars, and easy-to-eat fruit like apples and bananas make great car snacks in a pinch.
  • cabaray
    Options
    I'm thinking maybe taking lunch a little later and having a large lunch, then some healthy snacks on the way there for dinner. Thanks for all the suggestions!
  • April4074
    April4074 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is great advice!! When I starting preparing my meals the night before it made life SO much easier....and is a huge help on the temptation of fast food!
  • loveamygdala
    Options
    I am also in grad school. Working PT. With 4 year old twins. What is really helping me on the 7:30am-9pm days 1) drink green smoothies (spinach + fruits) most other days during week. Then when my work days are more whole grains and proteins I'm not psyching myself out about getting enough greens. 2) I have 2-3 acceptable take out options with known nutritional information. Everyone at my school eats in class or on the breaks. I tend to eat smaller meals these days more often and keep it really simple ... dry cereal banana and drink the milk : ) Get a small cooler with the blue ice blocks and fill with finger options that can go from desk to car to class if needed. A frozen diet meal will thaw in the cooler and can be heated at school. Dont psyche yourself up too much about January ... keep practicing a balance of self-care now and go easy on yourself : )
  • Nerdinista
    Nerdinista Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I agree iwth the above comment. Another thing i do is to make sure I have food at work. Leave things in your office that you can eat. I am a blockhead in the morning and I ALWAYS forget something. I have instant oatmeal, Campbells Soup at Hand and other small things in my office. I also have a minifridge ( not sure if you can keep one where you work) but I am sure you have a desk with drawers. You may not have time to make a lunch, run out of food, or forget things, so this will help as well as knowing the menu at the restaurants. Besides, sometimes you just want something other than a brown bag lunch.

smart ladies!
  • jensfitpal2012
    jensfitpal2012 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Get a small cooler and have bags of fresh veggies with hummus,cut up friuts prepared ahead.String cheese,hand full of almonds are good snacks. You can premarinate and cook chicken to eat,or do veggie wraps.Best of luck to you!:)Most salads at restaurants can be used,but watch the dresssing,go for low cal and don't use the whole pack.Good luck with your schedule and your eating.Get the JM 30DS dvd,it only takes 20 min. in the eve.to do,works well.
  • mama4loca
    mama4loca Posts: 181
    Options
    I eat in the car a lot too- so glad this question was asked! Great ideas...
  • jbaca9602
    jbaca9602 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who prepares her lunches for the week on Sunday (mostly salads), and portions them into tupperware containers so she can just grab one on the way out the door in the mornings. She does some where she'll keep the portions separate in baggies to be combined when reheating, but it's all portioned out and ready to go. Depending on how hectic your days are, if you don't believe you'll have time to make your food the night before every night, you might do this at least for the days you know you're less likely to have the time.