Not when, but what...

Options
I've read SO many responses on the message boards that it does not matter when you eat, as long as you are within your calorie/macro goals. Calories in vs. calories out for weighloss...it all makes sense. However, my question is, if it doesn't matter what time of day you eat (in the morning or right before bed), will "what" you eat matter? I'm not talking about downing your remaing 500 calories through ice cream or a bag of chips. I'm wondering if it makes a difference if you eat a higher protein meal/snack vs. a higher carb meal/snack at bedtime...both still being within your caloric allowance. I've got the basics down...I'm just trying to "fine tune" what I've learned.

Thanks!

Replies

• tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I do not believe that it makes a difference to choose carb over protein. I would eat what you need to fill in your macros for the day.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I've read SO many responses on the message boards that it does not matter when you eat, as long as you are within your calorie/macro goals. Calories in vs. calories out for weighloss...it all makes sense. However, my question is, if it doesn't matter what time of day you eat (in the morning or right before bed), will "what" you eat matter? I'm not talking about downing your remaing 500 calories through ice cream or a bag of chips. I'm wondering if it makes a difference if you eat a higher protein meal/snack vs. a higher carb meal/snack at bedtime...both still being within your caloric allowance. I've got the basics down...I'm just trying to "fine tune" what I've learned.

Thanks!

Aside from personal preference/how you feel after eating it, the differences will be negligible in the majority of situations and under most contexts. This assumes that you're also comparing identical daily macro totals.