How do you log bowling??

Options
Hi there I bowl on a woman's league of 4. Last week I logged it as 45 mins. Just wondering how you would log it. We start at 615 and we are done by 9:15. But I wouldn't count it as 3 hrs cause I am not bowling that entire time... Whats your opinion?? By the way Its 3 games!

Replies

• wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I don't because the times that I've been bowling (teams of four or five, two-three games) my BodyMedia Fit showed about the same burn as when I'm putzing around the house and less burn than when I run errands for the same amount of time. Since the actual action of bowling is very limited compared to the time that a person is there, there just isn't a lot of burn going on since there isn't a ton of physical activity .
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I actually work up a sweat when I'm throwing 5 or so practice games but I'd never, ever consider logging it. And with all the rest between frames in league bowling, I can't imagine anyone's heart elevating enough to be loggable. Do log the beers, don't log the bowling
  • breasonable
    breasonable Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I was more under the impression of any activity was worth logging???
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I was more under the impression of any activity was worth logging???

I would only log activities that are actual exercise. When you gave MFP your overall activity (at some point I believe it asks you how active you are) it is asking you how active you are outside of exercise. This would include bowling, or cleaning the house, or raking leaves/etc.

Don't log it, in my opinion.
  • TheSink
    TheSink Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go against the proverbial tide here, and say log it. Why would you not? Log the beer but not the activity? You're right, it's not hitting the gym, or running, etc. Nobody says it has to be. But it is still activity. I'm of the belief that you should log everything you do, food AND exercise, regardless of what you would define exercise. Twenty minutes is about my minimum, so:

If I'm out sweeping my garage, and it takes me 20 minutes, I'm logging it.
    If I take a 20 minute walk over my lunch break, I'm logging it.

And so on. Perhaps scaling back the calories that MFP provides you is better. And certainly for bowling don't log 3 hours when you sat for 2 hours and 30 minutes. But log something. You earned it after all.
  • breasonable
    Options
    I think its depends on what you are using this app for.. Seems to me.. I guess I never thought of it like this til now... The real active person is sitting there thinking heck no don't log bowling .. But the person who doesn't get alot of activity is thinking moving is moving and its not like I am using those gained calories anyways. I was just wondering!!! Very interesting...
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    I wore a body media fit while bowling, during that 3 hour period I think it was only a hundred calories more than standing around for three hours.

I wouldn't log it.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    It's a minimal burn, I wouldn't log it.
  • TheSink
    Options
    Here's the thing: When you sign up for MFP if you tell the system you are "sedentary", it means you are not active for most of the day. Which I presume most people in the US actually are nowadays. So the system generates a net calorie goal based on that. If you say you are "lightly active" or above, then perhaps you wouldn't log an extra 100 calories.

EDIT: I just looked at the settings again. The settings should be set on your "normal daily activity". So your job, not how much you work out in a given day. Then you also set your target goal for number of workouts and time. Your physical activity on a normal day setting should exclude any type of non-work related physical activity, and that is what your net calorie goal is derived from.
  • breasonable
    Options
    I agree and I did mark myself as that when I signed up!
    So in your opinion what time frame do you think I should mark down for bowling tonight? Thanks by the way!!!

{quote]
    Here's the thing: When you sign up for MFP if you tell the system you are "sedentary", it means you are not active for most of the day. Which I presume most people in the US actually are nowadays. So the system generates a net calorie goal based on that. If you say you are "lightly active" or above, then perhaps you wouldn't log an extra 100 calories.
    [/quote]
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I wore a body media fit while bowling, during that 3 hour period I think it was only a hundred calories more than standing around for three hours.

I wouldn't log it.

It's better than watching TV for 3 hours. Maybe keep track of how long you were standing and count it as standing or walking. it's probably not much of a burn, but it *is* activity, especially if your settings are on sedentary.
  • breasonable
    Options
    I can mark it as bowling it is in the tracker my question is how long of time to mark since I am on a league!

I wouldn't log it.

It's better than watching TV for 3 hours. Maybe keep track of how long you were standing and count it as standing or walking. it's probably not much of a burn, but it *is* activity, especially if your settings are on sedentary.
  • TheSink
    Options
    I can mark it as bowling it is in the tracker my question is how long of time to mark since I am on a league!

Just be smart about it. The actually activity of bowling one frame takes maybe a minute? 10 frames, 30 minutes?
  • breasonable
    Options
    Good idea! and I always have to throw 2 balls!! lmao
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Good idea! and I always have to throw 2 balls!! lmao

Have fun! I haven't bowled in years. We do family tournament on our Wii sports game. I usually get a strike the first frame, but that's it. :smile:
  • superraachel
    superraachel Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm on a weekly league too, and I log it. In the past I'm sure I way over logged, but lately I just downsize the amt of time I enter. I am going with 40 min (3 games) for my two balls per turn skills. I have "sedentary" settings as a desk job having, minimal activity kind of person, so I log it.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Does your heart rate rise doing bowling, the way you have to take turns and sit down in between each bowl? I wouldn't consider it as exercise. But maybe you strengthen one arm. :)