ARE you or HAVE YOU ever been on Topomax?

Options

Replies

• vander7679
    vander7679 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I was on Topomax for about four years for migraines. I started at 25 mg and was increased to 50 mg after a while. The only side effect I had was for about the first 6 weeks on both dosages I had no appetite. I liked that side effect but it eventually went away.
  • itali614
    itali614 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I was on topomax several years ago. Don't remember the dosage but it was to help with depression. Only I became more depressed....I quit interacting with people and got more depressed sleeping every chance I got. I did have some weight loss. But that could have been a result of the depression. Within a short amount of time after I was off.. The depression lifted and I was fine.
  • m_shuman
    m_shuman Posts: 179
    Options
    I took topamax about 7 years ago for migranes. It did not help to curb them at all. I stopped taking it because it messed with my memory adnd caused my personality to change (I was always irritated and a very angry person while on it.) I don't remember what my dosage was but I do remember I was weaned off of it instead of stopping it all at once.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Report me. See if I care.

I came in here to see what Topomax even was but I stayed for the bacon!

What the hell is topomax?

I think it's one of the drugs that Dr. Funke's 100 Percent Natural Good Time Family Band Solution sang about on Arrested Development.

jk, if it works for you, then rock it!
  • Iron_Maiden
    Iron_Maiden Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    yes, I've been on it for about 7 years for migraine control and it's helped quite a bit. I went from weekly migraines (some lasting a week) to perhaps monthly or less. The side effects stopped eventually but most notabley in the beginning were a tinny taste in my mouth and some tingling in my hands - nothing odd comparatively speaking to my migraines. It has helped me in the long run.
  • lookingforsomething
    Options
    #1. are you currently on topomax and how long have you taken it? (if you have taken it in the past, please skip to #2)

#2. have you previously taken topomax, and how long did you take it?

Currently taking and have been on it a number of times before for migraine prevention and the side effect of weight loss

#3. If you experienced any side effects, please note them here, and note at which doseage did you FIRST start noticing the side effects happpening.

Not sure what dose I am on but I got tingling in hands and feet within a day of starting the medication. I also get heart palpatations. Also have had kidney stones which are a known side effect

#4. Which side effect (you do not have to choose one) made you (if any) decide to stop taking the medication.

I initially stopped taking it because of the kidney stones and I don't think it works - or maybe the dose is to low?

#5. What was YOUR prescribed reason for taking Topomax?

Mainly put on it for weight loss but using it as a migraine preventative as well as I gain weight on other migraine medications - basically killing two birds with one stone. Doesn't do anything for the weight loss and debateable whether it works for the migraines either. Prescribed by neurologist.
  • betsysuefitts
    Options
    I've taken it for almost two years for migraine prevention. I'm at 100mg now. I do have a decreased appetite, some exhaustion, and sometimes I forget what I'm trying to say like I can't think of the right words haha, but it hasn't been severe enough to stop taking it.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    #2. I took Topamax from Sept 2011 - May 2012

#3 I felt the side effects right away: a week of severe brain fog & strange headaches (This happened for about a week every time my dose was increased - Once the week was offer I just had the regular side effects: weight loss, forgetfulness, problems focusing

#4 I stopped taking it because of the weight-loss (I lost about 10 pounds but I was already small) and the forgetfulness

#5 I was prescribed it for chronic headaches (cervicogenic and migraines)

Dosage amount might be useful - I was only on 75mg a day (small dose! but I only weighed 120lbs (5'6"))
  • RaeLB
    Options
    I've taken it for almost two years for migraine prevention. I'm at 100mg now. I do have a decreased appetite, some exhaustion, and sometimes I forget what I'm trying to say like I can't think of the right words haha, but it hasn't been severe enough to stop taking it.

Same thing here! I wouldn't be able to remember people's names that I knew very well. And I would hesitate before I would say things because my mind would all the sudden go completely blank!
  • spiregrain
    spiregrain Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    http://www.webmd.com/epilepsy/news/20110304/new-birth-defect-warning-for-topamax

If this is something all y'all already know about, my apologies for being redundant and intrusive. Just something to be aware of.
  • restoreleanne
    restoreleanne Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I was on Topomax for about four years for migraines. I started at 25 mg and was increased to 50 mg after a while. The only side effect I had was for about the first 6 weeks on both dosages I had no appetite. I liked that side effect but it eventually went away.

I have been on it for 1 year .

The 1st 6 week I could not eat sweets It was like dirt. I did not want to eat a thing. for about 3 m could not drink soda just was always flat. but at night after I take it my head feels like there are bug crawling around for about a hour or two.

Worst side effcet forgetfulness, issues fousing and all around brain fog.

migraines I use to have them weekly now one every couple of months I still get headaches
  • citizencrp
    citizencrp Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    #1. are you currently on topomax and how long have you taken it?
    -currently take it, it's been a little less than a year.

#3. If you experienced any side effects, please note them here, and note at which doseage did you FIRST start noticing the side effects happpening.
    -tingling feet
    -decreased appetite
    -carbonated beverages taste gross
    -cigarettes became repellant to me so I quit smoking
    -for the first 6 weeks or so, I had diminished memory and poor word-recall.
    -side effects began with initial 25 mg 2x/day dose and initially increased with each increase

#4. Which side effect (you do not have to choose one) made you (if any) decide to stop taking the medication.
    -N/A

-Severe daily Migraines, Vertigo
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    #1. are you currently on topomax and how long have you taken it? (if you have taken it in the past, please skip to #2) skip

#2. have you previously taken topomax, and how long did you take it?
    *isn't Toprimate the generic for topomax? I took toprimate for years and years. - no longer taking it.

* Sorry, I don't recall the dosage or side effects because so much other stuff was going on. Pretty sure it did not give me a loss of appetite.

* I had been mis-diagnosed for many years (15). Once they figured out the real problems, I started different meds.

* migraine prevention

Anything you would like to add? Please do so here:
    *Such memory loss that I'm sorry I can't fill in the details. But I was incorrectly diagnosed with Shy-Drager syndrome and anxiety. My real diagnoseeez, Narcolepsy with Cataplexy, Peripheral Neuropathy, Orthostatic Hypsotension, Sleep Apnea and Fibromyalgia. Being obese has just added major problems to all of this for me.

Hope this helps. If you want to contact me personally, we could discuss this further if you wish.

Best wishes.
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    #1. are you currently on topomax and how long have you taken it?
    -currently take it, it's been a little less than a year.

-tingling feet
    -decreased appetite
    -carbonated beverages taste gross
    -cigarettes became repellant to me so I quit smoking
    -for the first 6 weeks or so, I had diminished memory and poor word-recall.
    -side effects began with initial 25 mg 2x/day dose and initially increased with each increase

OMG, is that why my sodas tasted so bad? I've stopped taking it and now I can drink carbonation again. I never knew what the heck that was.

-N/A

-Severe daily Migraines, Vertigo
  • snoopynut1972
    snoopynut1972 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I was on it last year for about 10 months. I was put on it by my neurologist after having MS like symptoms that they could not explain (MRIs were all clear). It was hard to tell if some of the "side effects" i had were the drug or the neurological issues I was dealing with. But I do know that the memory loss and brain fog were the worst. My neurologist said it's nicknamed Dopomax for a reason! :) I did not find that I lost any significant weight while on it. I do remember soda tasting horrible while on it.

The memory and brain issues were affecting my work and my life in general. I was starting to think I would have to go on disability leave. Thankfully my symptoms (Pain in my limbs, numbness, difficulty walking, slurred speech) started to subside and we were wanting to try and get pregnant so they weened me off the Topomax. After a month or two I felt like my memory was finally back to normal. That was about a year ago.
  • jpohoney
    jpohoney Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am taking it, but have been off of it for about a week now (my benefits were taken away because I didn't have the right forms filled out) My dr put me on it for weight loss. we started out really gradual so I wouldn't have the side effects. I found that the side effects go away after a week at the up in dose. I am or was on 75mg twice a day. I see my dr once a month. Being off of it I have had the bottomless pit feeling. This PMS has been the worst since feb when I started taking it. I have lost 30lbs since June. It is much easier to be focused when you are not starving.
  • kvalmera
    kvalmera Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    My son took topamax for headaches but we had to take him off because he became overly aggressive!!
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Was on a low dose (25mg?) for several months in attempt to control migraines. It messed up my language skills. I'd read words wrong, write the wrong words, and even say the wrong things. It took me 3x as long to write an email since I'd have to reread it like 10 times before sending. The language issue combined with still having headaches made me go off of it. I wish my side effect had been the decreased hunger!

And on a side note, for those wondering why a med for seizure can help with migraines, there are connections between migraine and seizure. Some calcium channel stuff in neurons, at least. Hit up google scholar for more details. I used to know one of the researchers studying them. :)
  • RaeLB
    Options
    I should add this to mine:

Some people might not have a problem on it but I hated it. I never want to be on it again. I feel like it made me stupid. It was completely frustrating not being able to focus, remember simple things and form coherent thoughts.

The only way I would go on it again is if the benefits outweighed the negatives and there were no other options.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    #1. are you currently on topomax and how long have you taken it? No

#2. have you previously taken topomax, and how long did you take it? Yes, about one year

#3. If you experienced any side effects, please note them here, and note at which doseage did you FIRST start noticing the side effects happpening. I don't remember my doseage but I had bad night sweats and horrible sweating from my scalp. It changes your tastebuds so you cannot drink pop (great bonus) and made me never hungry. I had to set an alarm to remind myself to eat

#4. Which side effect (you do not have to choose one) made you (if any) decide to stop taking the medication. The sweating and because it stopped working for weight loss. I guess I became immune to it.

#5. What was YOUR prescribed reason for taking Topomax? Weight kloss

Anything you would like to add? Please do so here:
    I went from 165 to 135 in about 3 to 4 months. After I quit, I went up to 180 and eventually ballooned up to 212. I am 5'2"

Anyone know how I add my weight loss ticker thingy/signature thingy?

its been awhile, but i think its under tools, and weight loss ticker. =)