Cottage Cheese

Options

Replies

• dkent2009
    Options
    Those sound great! Do you have the nutritional information and how many pancakes it makes handy?!
  • Jennwith2ns
    Jennwith2ns Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I LOVE cottage cheese! I can eat it straight right out of the container. I usually have it as a snack with fruit, or if we do a big breakfast, it will be on the side of bacon and eggs and fruit. It's also good as a salad dressing substitute.. or like someone said, on top of a baked potato :)
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    tomatos and black pepper!

That's my favorite way, delicious!! I like to use cherry tomatoes and cut them in half so the juice from them mingle with the cheese! And you have to use fresh cracked pepper
  • McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    a spoon. and a little S&P.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I add cottage cheese to everything! Just had 1/2 cup right now for a snack!

I add it to my cooked oatmeal, makes it creamy and adds protein to it.

I also like to add fruit (blueberries and walnuts is delicious!) or cinnamon and walnuts too.

Top a baked sweet potato w/ cottage cheese & cinnamon & pumpkin pie spice.

I've also made the protein pancakes w/ cottage cheese, eggbeaters, and oatmeal.

There are so many great things you can add cottage cheese to! I buy the Sam's club, Members mark brand. It tastes like
    the full fat but is low fat. :bigsmile:
  • Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options
    I normally have it just plain or with pepper! I never add salt b/c the sodium content is so high as it is.
  • ciaobella47
    ciaobella47 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I've always loved mine with avacadoes!
  • proudloser
    Options
    I use to HAT cottage cheese and would be grossed out by it but started eating it because I wanted to like just as you said and now the thought of adding things to it is grossing me out, lol. I do like the baked potato one though, I could defiantly do that i'm sure...or maybe even add some pepper or franks hot sauce.
  • makeitallsue
    makeitallsue Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    bump, these sound great..have to give them a try! Thanks
  • leeslim4life
    leeslim4life Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I always wanted to gag when I saw people eating it. So, when I started my healthier Llifestyle I tried it with red seedless grapes. Enough that the top of my bowl was covered. I would take a spoon of cottage cheese & eat 1 grape. I did that until it was gone. The longer I ate it the less grapes I needed. I can now eat it w/o the grapes.
  • leeslim4life
    leeslim4life Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Plain like yogurt. You can also add frozen berries and cottage cheese in a food processor and make fresh high protein low fat ice cream, if you need to sweeten it a litle add honey. I also add 1 part cottage cheese to 1 part berry yogurt and it tastes like berry cheese cake.

I would have never thought. I def, have to try this out. Thanks Erik!!!
  • jzbaby626
    jzbaby626 Posts: 466
    Options
    Plain like yogurt. You can also add frozen berries and cottage cheese in a food processor and make fresh high protein low fat ice cream, if you need to sweeten it a litle add honey. I also add 1 part cottage cheese to 1 part berry yogurt and it tastes like berry cheese cake.

I would have never thought. I def, have to try this out. Thanks Erik!!!

Ok i am starting to think we are really related lol...I was just about to quote his idea and say i wanted to try it lol....weirrddd.
  • klybarger
    klybarger Posts: 214
    Options
    I want to like cottage cheese... anything to do for the texture?

Thanks for asking THE question! I've been put off because of the texture/being watery and the thought of mixing sweet things into it has never sounded good. But some of these suggestions might get me to try it again!
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I usually eat it with just a little S&P but one of my fav's is with chives!
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    I usually eat it with just a little S&P but one of my fav's is with chives!

That sounds good with chives, I will also try hot sauce --- I love hot sauce!
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese with cheddar cheese, bacon bits and french dresssing.

cottage cheese with crushed pinapple, one jello powder mix and cool whip. Mixed all together nice in the summer when you don't want to heat the house up and a sweet treat too.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm just gonna have to print this out. I love cottage cheese. Who knew you could eat it so many different ways! I usually eat it plain or on a salad in place of salad dressing. Thanks everyone for all the tips. :flowerforyou:
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese plain, or just about ALL of the above-mentioned ways too! My favorite though? Protein pancakes! ....and they are so easy, low fat, and high in protein--of course!

1/2 c. cottage cheese (I use 2%)
    1/2 c. egg whites (approx. 4 egg whites)
    1/2 c. rolled oats
    1 heaping tsp. baking powder
    dash cinnamon (optional)
    dash vanilla (optional)

Blend all together in blender. Cook like regular pancakes, and top with frozen blueberries, thawed in the microwave in their own juices with maybe a little NATURAL sweetener like honey or Xylitol (my personal favorite because it's low carb), and smart beat non-fat squeeze butter, and a little natural peanut butter. Wow!! :tongue:

LOVE these! It's amazing how filling one serving is too!

There are a couple of "dessert" recipes using cottage cheese and sugar free jello here: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/desserts/170731-creamy-cottage-cheese-jello-mold-whip.html

You wouldn't even know it's cottage cheese - very good for a little sweet treat!! :love:
  • FriedPicklePrincess
    Options
    I have to second the cottage cheese with baked potato - sooooo good!

Can also use it instead of sour cream on tacos, OR if you make yourself a little wrap with spinach and a piece of lunch meat.
  • cnbenton
    Options
    Cottage cheese is one of my favorites! I like it better with savory things since, to me, it usually has a slightly salty taste and I've never really dug that whole salty n' sweet combo. Has anyone tried the Rachel's cottage cheese? It comes in individual serving cups, like yogurt, and they make it in lots of great flavors like cucumber dill, lemon verbena berry, pomegranate orange cranberry, pear mangosteen, roasted red pepper,and sun dried tomato pesto (my personal favorite).