stupid question coming up

Options
And I know it sounds silly before ive even said it but hear me out!

I been on this site for quite a while, stopped, gained weight and came back. This time my attitude is completely different, I joined a gym which I now go to 4 days a week, I have a personal trainer too and Im really looking into my food intake. I cant (because of the nature of my job) eat clean 7 days a week especially when Im out of the house 13 hours a day so I might have a meal that came from a box rather than the earth but I always balance it out with other good meals throughout the week.

Ive been eating 1300 cals for a while now, months infact. I dont eat back excerise cals as I struggle with weight loss. I have hypothyroidism so I try to get away with eating back as little as I can but never deprive myself either. My BMR is 1786.

I have lost 4lbs in the last month and I know its a healthy amount to lose on top of 4.1 inches gone around the waist and averaging 1inch everywhere else but this is where the struggle comes in. For the last 2 weeks the scale hasnt moved. Ive gone to the gym more (used to only do 2 nights a week) and started protein shakes on the advice of my PT.

Anyway (finally getting to the point) should i NET 1300 cals? Ive always GROSS 1300 cals and take exercise as a bonus burner. Ive just been reading alot of posts suggesting to up calories and always at least NET 1200 and dont let NET fall below this. If thats the case Im really undereating, and wondering whether this is why the scales dont move (although my brain cant understand eating more to lose more)

Sorry for the long winded post, hope it makes some sort of sense to someone!

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, I would not make any changes based on the fact that the last 2 weeks haven't shown any results. I would wait longer.

Now, this isn't to say that your current plan is perfect -- I am simply saying that I don't think 2 weeks is a long enough period to justify dietary changes. I'd give it at least 2 more weeks.
  • jlkhrk81204
    Options
    Hi Lynz! There are those who swear by eating back your excercise cals. However, I am like you and I take those as a bonus. It's something I've discussed with my personal trainer and he wants me to eat 1200-1400 cals per day and not eat back my excercise cals. Those cals I work so hard burning....well, it doesn't make sense to me to work so hard if I'm going to turn around and eat them back! Keep in mind that you increased your workouts and are working with a PT. You are likely building muscle which can cause the scale to not move as much even though your size continues to decrease. I suggest talking to your PT about it. That's what he/she is there for, not just to make you sweat. Your PT should be able to give you a more custom answer designed for you and should be able to give you some great suggestions on what you can adjust to start seeing those results again!
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I dont' think you're eating enough, at all.

Not only should you be eating above your BMR, but you should find out what your TDEE is and do a 20% reduction from that

Scooby's calculator (google it) can help you find the number that works best for you.

When I did the research/homework for myself, I found out so much info it was amazing. I've been losing a stead 1 pound a week on this and I feel great.

There is also someting on MFP called "in place of a roadmap 2.0" or something similar that was helpful, but I found I got almost the same numbers with less work using the scooby's calculator.

I have 1880 cals/day and I just went to a dietician today who wants me to up that, even...
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    ps, with the TDEE route, you don't need to eat back your cals because you build in your exercise into that number
  • daump
    daump Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It makes perfect sense. Please do not think it is a stupid question, because it is not.
    I think you know from when you lost weight before that we all hit plateaus. You may have hit one. So how do you get off the plateau? Keep doing what you have been doing correctly. You may be retaining more water than usual - I have when trying to lose weight and I'm a guy! Then all of a sudden the blood chemistry changes a little and all the excess water flushes and SHAZAM!
    Also, I view the exercise cals as a way to measure how effective my workout is. Don't eat them back. Let the increase in your metabolism jump up your weight loss.
    Keep at it. You will do fine.
    I have often made an extra serving at supper and packed it for lunch for the next day. It still comes "out of a box" but it is my "lunchbox."
    You can do this. Have faith in yourself. You have done it before and you will do even better this time because you have had practice.
    Keep on!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    And I know it sounds silly before ive even said it but hear me out!

I been on this site for quite a while, stopped, gained weight and came back. This time my attitude is completely different, I joined a gym which I now go to 4 days a week, I have a personal trainer too and Im really looking into my food intake. I cant (because of the nature of my job) eat clean 7 days a week especially when Im out of the house 13 hours a day so I might have a meal that came from a box rather than the earth but I always balance it out with other good meals throughout the week.

Ive been eating 1300 cals for a while now, months infact. I dont eat back excerise cals as I struggle with weight loss. I have hypothyroidism so I try to get away with eating back as little as I can but never deprive myself either. My BMR is 1786.

I have lost 4lbs in the last month and I know its a healthy amount to lose on top of 4.1 inches gone around the waist and averaging 1inch everywhere else but this is where the struggle comes in. For the last 2 weeks the scale hasnt moved. Ive gone to the gym more (used to only do 2 nights a week) and started protein shakes on the advice of my PT.

Anyway (finally getting to the point) should i NET 1300 cals? Ive always GROSS 1300 cals and take exercise as a bonus burner. Ive just been reading alot of posts suggesting to up calories and always at least NET 1200 and dont let NET fall below this. If thats the case Im really undereating, and wondering whether this is why the scales dont move (although my brain cant understand eating more to lose more)

Sorry for the long winded post, hope it makes some sort of sense to someone!

You should net above your BMR. Anything below is too few calories which can cause your metabolism to slow down and weight loss to stall. Eat more!
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I'd say stick with what you've been doing. Sounds to me as though you're losing inches rather than pounds at the moment. I'm hypothyroid myself, and eating back exercise calories does NOT work for me at all. Despite a physically strenuous job and regular workouts, I'm sticking to around 1400 kcal per day (BMR at 1300 kcal and change), and that does work.

It'll always be a slower loss, what with the thyroid issue, but it's possible all the same. Hang in there! :happy:
  • lynz4589
    lynz4589 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the replies - #Ive read every single one and will follow all the advice - and doing the calculator now as we speak!

In response to the first reply - I should of pointed out Its not just been 2 weeks its been around 6 months Id say, the weightloss last month I think came from having a PT and joining a gym closer to work so Ive no excuse not to go. I thought I might be gaining muscle the last few weeks but thought I would of seen some sort of movement even if it was only small!

Thanks again everyone :)
  • mlandrethsf
    mlandrethsf Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I agree with some posters that two weeks, especially being female, isnt enough time to evaluate for most people.
    Personally, there are two weeks out of the month when I tend to lose and then there are always the other two weeks where it doesnt matter how much I workout or how little I eat, the scale wont budge... I retain water, am bloated, etc. Then, after that time passes, the weight falls off and I lose another 2lbs. Its just the way my body wants to be. It is very frustrating but I have to learn that I cannot fight my body's natural rhythm. Hang in there.
    And, personally, I dont include the calories burned during exercise in my daily count. I typically burn up to 250/day (not hardcore like some people), so I just consider that a little bonus to help my body get stronger and leaner. If it ends up as extra weight loss great. I never feel faint or anything, so I figure that I am doing ok.
    One thing I try to do...eat a low-cal energy-rich snack about an hour before my workout and then follow with something bulky but healthy. If I dont, I will have a crappy workout and then consume anything after because my body is drained.
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is 1786. Plaina nd simple 1300 gross is not enough! You should NET close to your BMR. Your body needs that to function properly. I would say set your goal to 1750 ( I always leave some room for underestimated calories) then log your exercise and eat back half of those at least never leaving yourself below your BMR.

if you just started working with your trainer you probably aren't bilding muscle yet but your muscles are repairing themselves after every workout and to do this they need fuel and water, lots of water. They will retain some of that water so don't be discouraged eventually they won't need to and you'll see a great result. I agree protein shakes after workout are good idea you need the protein and the calories will probably bee good for you too.