Two unrelated questions (30 Day Shred and crunches)

Options
Question 1: How do you guys log 30 Day Shred? I searched for it in the database and couldn't find it.

Question 2: I've heard that crunches and other ab exercises can take away from the hourglass figure? I'm especially proud of mine and am not too excited about potentially wrecking it in trying to strengthen my core.

Replies

• MariahHubert
    MariahHubert Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I log it as circuit training.
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    1. I use a heart rate monitor. Otherwise, MFP overstates my calories burned.

2. I don't think that's true. I don't know of many people that are able to change their body types. I'm a rectangle whether I gain weight or lose weight. I can't exercise my way to an hourglass figure, nor can I put on weight to gain curves.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    1. Circuit training, but an HRM is better, especially if you know that you aren't going as hard as you could be.

2. Your figure shape won't change too much however if you do a lot of oblique exercises, the muscles will grow a little, and you will lose a teeny bit of the inward curve. Side moves are also really unnatural for your body, Who picks up a heavy weight from the side? Picture an open jumping jack stance, then leaning over, and picking up your groceries. Huh? Unnecessary time and strength.

Oh, and to help increase the hourglass, arm and shoulder exercises with heavy weights such as pull ups, bench presses, etc will broaden your shoulders in relation to your waist.
  • lpatriquin
    lpatriquin Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    circuit training (general) is how I log it :-)
    Fun isn't it?? Very intense 25 mins... how far along are you? Still level 1? I just started Oct 1st, hurting but I like it!
  • chelle_fri
    chelle_fri Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I log 30DS as aerobics, high impact. I also wear a HRM, but i've found that the calories are a very close match. As for the crunches, I've never heard that :-/
  • themeaningofthemorning
    Options
    Thanks guys!
    I'll be on day 1 tonight, hahaha. I've been doing the Yoga Meltdown, but I want something a little more intense now that I'm feeling stronger.

As for the crunches, that makes me feel better. I want to exercise my core so badly and be strong, but I don't want to sacrifice the way my body looks right now... especially since my boyfriend has generally been like "omg don't work out too much you'll lose the figure I like".