overweight anchor tells off audience

kealambert
kealambert Posts: 961 Member
i have mixed emotions on her response and the email she was sent

http://www.upworthy.com/bully-calls-news-anchor-fat-news-anchor-destroys-him-on-live-tv?g=2&ref=nf

Replies

• FiercelyBeautiful
    FiercelyBeautiful Posts: 590 Member
    I think her response was beautiful.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    I just want to pour bleach into my eyes.
  • FiercelyBeautiful
    FiercelyBeautiful Posts: 590 Member
    What?
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    She didn't really tell off the audience, she told off the guy who sent the email.

While I can agree that the guy was being a ****, he had a few valid points.
  • Litlbeast
    Litlbeast Posts: 340 Member
    What?

This topic has been mfp's little Groundhog Day. Some of us are tired.
  • melbot24
    melbot24 Posts: 347 Member
    I'm not sure that I would call that letter "bullying".
    However, I think it's inappropriate as well as ignorant to assume that she doesn't work out and doesn't care about her health based off her appearance.

I work out a lot, have plenty of muscle, lots of endurance, eat healthier than most people I know and I'm still overweight. I'm less overweight than I was, but still...I am not at a healthy bmi. I am a work in progress. Will I ever get down to a healthy bmi? Well I'm not sure. I've been overweight my whole life, it might just be a battle I will fight forever.

That is the real problem here, the ignorance behind assuming a person is a certain way because of the way they look.
    Fat=lazy, black=ghetto, gay=weak. Whatever the case is...it's a problem. That's the issue she should have confronted.

When you're in the public eye, there is a responsibility to be a good example for the community. Does she promote health walks? Does she feed her children healthy food? Does she eat healthy herself? I don't know these things. I wouldn't assume to know these things from watching her show once.

Finally, let us not forget there is an additional responsibility for celebrities local or otherwise to be relatable as well. I can't relate to a size 2 news anchor with blindingly white teeth and cosmetic fillers. I would be as motivated by her as I would be by Paris Hilton.

Sure it wasn't bullying, but it was definitely ignorant and judgmental. Again, I wish she had approached this differently and crafted her response in a way that highlighted the real problem.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    this thread title was apparently too nice. subsequent threads have been vastly more successful.