What to do when you're too sick to exercise?

Options
I have adjusted to eating back my cals from my workout cals on top of my "diet" cals (mostly anyway).. but today I found that I am too sick to do any sort of exercises and can barely get up and move around the house. I am hopeful that tomorrow I can get back to my routine. Today is the first day I didn't do at least 25 mins of exercise AND 4 miles of walking in over a month.
I know lots of people take a day off, or a weekend, or cheat weekends, etc.. But I know that taking any time off more than a single meal here or there means I won't get back on the wagon. Today though, there's no choice in the matter. I can barely move just to get out of bed, much less to do a workout of 50'ish mins (the ones I am on this week are 55 mins).
All I can do at the moment really is to hope I am better enough by tomorrow so I can do my exercises and get back to work. I can't handle two days like this. Ugg!

Replies

• neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Wow. Please don't do this. Just rest. I always just rest, and I take one extra day after I feel better to make sure. I don't believe in pushing that hard like that. When you get sick, you need to let your body do it's magic and fix itself. Working out interupts that process.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Exactly! Look, here's thing, your body is already working really hard fighting whatever bug it is that you've caught. It's recommended that if you have a fever, infection, fatigue, and/or chest congestion that you should just rest. If you've got a head cold, you're ok to exercise, but even then you need to take it down a few notches - like if you run, just walk (if you walk, walk slowly).

Don't worry about going over your calories a little but do try to make sure you're getting good nutritious foods. And plenty of water too - you tend to get dehydrated quickly when sick.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Do not push yourself, just rest and try to get better. Chances are, you will be eating less than normal too, and it will all work out. I understand what you mean about being afraid if you miss working out, that it will become a habit and you will backslide. I am the same way, almost obsessively so. But if you feel that bad, your body needs rest. Just take care of yourself until you feel better, and then make sure you get back to it.
  • anrev42
    anrev42 Posts: 331
    Options
    I agree with neverstray! I just got over a flu and rested for a full week. Absolutely did not do anything. You body and metabolism slows down while your sick so it's useless to push yourself anyway. I know about falling off the wagon but rather feel down about it, look forward to your recovery day instead. The quicker you get over the sickness, the faster you can get back to your routine.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    i dont exercise until i'm better. that pretty much sums it up.
  • abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Wow. Please don't do this. Just rest. I always just rest, and I take one extra day after I feel better to make sure. I don't believe in pushing that hard like that. When you get sick, you need to let your body do it's magic and fix itself. Working out interupts that process.

^this, please always this.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    If you are too sick to exercise, you shouldn't exercise. This is supposed to be a lifestyle. Do you really believe that the "healthy" people out there exercise every single day whether they are sick or not? They don't. You need a healthy body to effectively lose weight. Sickness is already taxing your body. Don't tax it more by working out.

Now, with that said, the occasional sniffle should not be an excuse to stay on the couch and eat junk. But if you really are sick, take a break.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I listen to my body. If I'm too sick to get out of bed, I am more than likely to sick to work out for an hour. Taking a rest day is good for your body.
  • lt3ag4s
    lt3ag4s Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Rest!

The reason you want to be fit is to be healthy. Not getting rest when you are sick will make your sickness prolonged.
  • gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I severely sprained my foot about 3.5 weeks ago. for 3 weeks I was laid up and unable to do any exercise. I ate at my calories daily and have still been losing even without the extra exercise.

I would think that your calories may need to be higher if you are unable to maintain them without exercise. if that made sense. I eat about 1700 cals on a normal day and just over 2000 on an exercise day. so when I am not working out, or end up unable then my weight is not negatively affected.

maybe I misunderstood your question though too...in which case I apologize.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Take a week off! I have a cold right now. I desperately want to exercise, but I know that is the last thing my body needs right now.
  • cowgirlup327
    cowgirlup327 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Just rest! Your body will let you know when it's able to get back into the swing of physical activity again. Until you're up and feeling better, remember to stay hydrated - lots of water and/or herbal tea. Feel better!
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Eat healthily, don't go over your calories and don't stress about it.
  • Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Don't CUT your calories either. Your body needs energy to fight off the sickness. Hydrate, and eat, even if you have no appetite!
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I still workout when I'm mildly sick, because it helps me feel better. But when I'm very sick, I rest. If I'm "too sick to exercise" then exercising will only do more harm than good. Even not sick, you should be taking rest days so your muscles can repair themselves.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options

Ditto this! If you don't rest when you need to (like now when you're sick), it'll slow the healing process down and you'll feel sluggish and sickly even longer. Just rest and get back on track once you feel better.
  • yowza101
    yowza101 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    When I'm sick, the last thing on my mind is working out and trust me I do not feel guilty about it. Your body is telling you to take care of whatever is ailing you first and then you get back to working out. Yes it may take you a few days to get back into your routine but you will do it.

I haven't workout fully since last week because of my feet problems. I do work out but not as long as I used to. I will have surgery on the 17th so I'll be out of commission for up to 4 weeks. I'm just going to focus on what I'm eating and at least do upper body with my toning bands etc. That is my worry too about getting back into the groove of working out when I am ok to do it. It takes me a while to get back motivated but I'm determined to be 50 pounds lighter by my 50th birthday next March, so I know it's up to me do that.

But seriously...when you are to sick to work out, don't push yourself. I do believe it will make your body worse because you are not giving your body the rest it needs. However, my off day of working out is Sunday. I hope you feel better soon.