How many emotional eaters are there out there?

Options
Today has not been a good day at work. I am stressed due to preparing all my work before I go off on annual leave for a week. Everyone is in a mad panic and stressed. I struggled to cope with the anxiety and pressure but I didn't over eat. Maybe should have left the chocolate covered coffee beans till later but I ate 10 only!!!

Anyway my point is why do people use food as a means of comfort? OR to relieve stress? Where does this come from? I have the urge to go and eat and eat and eat even though am full and not hungry, however I won't as exercise does me better than food.

It is the same for wine or alcohol, although I have more understanding why people abuse alcohol to escape. Does food offer this oblivion? Does it release endorphins?

Anyway it got me thinking...I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Well after I finish my workout:smile:

Replies

• mom2pne
    mom2pne Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    As an emotional eater I find eating is a bit of a comfort to things I cannot control, until I get finished. I plan on changing that as I know it's unhealthy and I will have stress throughout my life. I have noticed I do not do that as often though. So I am getting there!
  • 1sophiesophie
    1sophiesophie Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    OK - here is my 100% un-scientific answer, but I think it all comes back to survival. Back in the "good old days", when cave people were cave people, we were told what we needed by our bodies after they went into a basic "stress". We slept when we were tired (tired feeling = stress reaction on the body), we drank when we were thirsty (thirsty = stress reaction on the body) and we went on a hunt or a gather when our bellies started to groan with hunger (hunger feeling = stress reaction on the body).

Stress wasn't caused by missing a promotion or failing an exam, not being able to afford a great handbag or because we looked terrible in the skinny jeans that looked fantastic in the catalogue but awful in front of the mirror, it was caused by the bodily possibility that you might die from starvation/dehydration/exposure or...erm....being eaten or something. Now - we (and I'm talking in the rich world here) are lucky enough to have shelter and enough food and we are generally not in danger of being eaten, when our "stress" reactions kick in because of some of the more modern "issues" we face, we turn to "something" to make it better. That used to be food or drink or hunting. Hence people now eat, drink (maybe alcohol) or fight to relieve stress.

What do you reckon?

Yes - it's rubbish isn't it....oh well, I tried.
  • khcernik
    Options
    Definitely an emotional eater here... have been reading a lot of studies and articles about this lately, and some of the things they are coming up with actually make sense. Pleasurable activities trigger a release of dopamine in your brain - that makes you feel good. You eat a piece of chocolate, you get that surge, you feel good. Same way drugs work. However, just like drugs, the eating can short-circuit that brain chemistry - you eat a lot (for whatever reason), you get a SURGE of dopamine, your brain says whoa, nellie, and gets rid of some of the dopamine receptors so it's not so overwhelming. All well and good, but then eventually you won't have many receptors, and you will need to eat MORE just to get the same pleasure you used to get from just eating a little. Much the same way cocaine addicts progress.

And also - food is predictable - unlike much of the world. In the short run, it makes you feel good (even though sometimes that short run is very very short.) Your parents may have taught you to equate food with comfort ('oh, sweetie, here have a cookie, you will feel better.')
  • healthyformeanMona
    healthyformeanMona Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    definitely the brain. Actually, food is a good thing, but instead of eating to live, a lot of us have lived to eat. Food has been my drug of choice, as opposed to alcohol or drugs. It's easy, it's socially acceptable, it's the way we celebrate in families, at work, at church, it's how we grieve, at funerals or other losses; It numbs out our feelings of pain. Food has a sedating property for me. It makes me lazy if I eat too much, and when I eat too much sugar , the next day I am lethargic and cranky (my kids will vouch for the cranky). It's cheap, especially the junk food. It has a looooong shelf life, at least the junk food. It keeps our mouths and our hands busy, and in doing that, keeps our brains busy, and we avoid pain. My opinion, but add me if you want. I would love to be your MFP pal and help us motivate each other!
  • tumblyweed
    tumblyweed Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Noshing is just a primal comfort. It's like going back to the womb. For me, imagine a big, orange, puffy Cheeto as a comforting momma's teat. :blushing:

Sorry, it is what it is. Which is funny, because out of 8 children, my mom says I'm the only one who absolutely refused to nurse. Never did it. She said I'd freak out and scream and now, I'm the only one who eats for comfort... go figure... :)
  • shoneybabes
    shoneybabes Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    All you guys gave me interesting thoughts. Thanks.

So another topic to think about- What about people using food as a punishment? Knowingly eating and feeling bad and creating those negative emotions as if it is a self harming tool?

Tumbly- I remember having my first cheeto or aka a wotsit. I could eat those till the cows came home.

Thankfully I made the decision years ago that I wouldn't keep junk food in the house. If it is there I will eat it. Yes I occasionally buy a big bag of crisps and always feel bad afterwards. But I work twice as hard to work it off. I am getting better at not splurging so much. I do eat dark chocolate. I blame the OH he is the sweet tooth.

The only junk food I splurge on is carbs- noodles, bread or a large bowl of rice.
  • apachetear1710
    Options
    definately an emotional eater here!! I can eat when happy, sad and everything in between for sure!! Find stress is a big factor in my eating too!!! I started my healthy eating plan as I vowed to loose a stone by my Birthday (17th October) and started off really well but then things cropped up with work and just went downhill again - unfortunately I always reach for high carb, high fat foods and now struggling again to wean myself off them again so sadly unless something drastic happens I think my goal may just be out of reach now!!
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I've always had the opposite problem. When my stress is high my stomach shuts down. I will literally get sick If I try to force food down. However when I'm relaxed and happy all I do is eat. Sigh...getting to see my bf puts me on the road to sitting on the couch mainlining ben and jerrys :laugh:
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I'm an emotional eater. Why? Because food DOES comfort me. Of course only temporarily, but it does make me feel better and that's why I still do it sometimes. I always feel worst afterwards though, as with any other addiction I assume.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    im more of a flamboyant eater.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Are you overweight? If so it is due to BAD eating habits...I don't care if you are on medication or have problems exercising. What you eat is STILL the cause of wt gain or wt reduction or wt maintenance. So if you are here because YOU are overweight then you LOST CONTROL, I do not care why...what excuse you use to overeat. If you don't eat when you are stressed, then when did YOU overeat>>>were/are you mad, happy, glad, sad, bored, hi, low, up down, abused, a bully, being bullied...ALL of these are emotions or excuses and ANY can be used as an EXCUSE to overeat, do drugs/alcohol, have "wrong" sex, punch someone or do anything that needs an excuse. Being Fat/obese/overweight calls for an "Excuse" because "surely" No One would purposefully put hand to mouth and EAT Food that may eventually disable them or kill them...so there MUST be a "reason/excuse" other than GREED! GREED/GLUTTONY is a major "sin" not to mention it is "Taboo," so give an excuse to save "face." You gave yours, why put down someone else's.
  • shoneybabes
    shoneybabes Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Are you overweight? If so it is due to BAD eating habits...I don't care if you are on medication or have problems exercising. What you eat is STILL the cause of wt gain or wt reduction or wt maintenance. So if you are here because YOU are overweight then you LOST CONTROL, I do not care why...what excuse you use to overeat. If you don't eat when you are stressed, then when did YOU overeat>>>were/are you mad, happy, glad, sad, bored, hi, low, up down, abused, a bully, being bullied...ALL of these are emotions or excuses and ANY can be used as an EXCUSE to overeat, do drugs/alcohol, have "wrong" sex, punch someone or do anything that needs an excuse. Being Fat/obese/overweight calls for an "Excuse" because "surely" No One would purposefully put hand to mouth and EAT Food that may eventually disable them or kill them...so there MUST be a "reason/excuse" other than GREED! GREED/GLUTTONY is a major "sin" not to mention it is "Taboo," so give an excuse to save "face." You gave yours, why put down someone else's.

Ok your post seems to be a bit on the aggressive side. I was asking questions. For one, you forget that we are all human. People make mistakes and continue to do so, bringing in "sin" is not relevant. This is not a religious debate. You may think it is a sin, I however don't believe in "sin".

I agree that it is greed that makes people reach for food but mental health issues also are a real issue that A LOT of people downplay. Many people think it is an excuse or hide from it but what you are saying does not help the situation. I am asking who are emotional eaters, you have just made a lot more people very unhappy by making them feel like they are weak or bringing down their self esteem. People are affected by the words of others. Maybe you should check what you say before offending or upsetting others.

You are of course entitled to your opinion but I am entitled to disagree with yours.

Maybe if you want to offer your opinion you may want to actually offer something with a solution...
  • Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
    * checks in* Def emotional eater here. I'm working on it and about 50% of the time now I can talk myself off the ledge of the pantry snack shelf and either sip water or go to the gym (channel emotion better)
    the other 50% of the time it's me and my snacks, or icecream or whatever will make me feel better.
    At least it's an improvement
  • jilllemar
    Options
    Oh yeah big time emotional eater here. It is truly my biggest source of comfort. I've done really well the last two months and am on a good path, but yeah when I am off the wagon I am there in spades.

My size 0 sister actually was able to emphasize with me on this issue this summer. She said something about how hard she imagines this cycle is because she LOVES food too. She is a worse eater than I am (she has a medical reason that she stays skinny). She said she knows I am (was) depressed about my weight and that eating makes me feel better, but then it makes me gain weight which makes me depressed and so on and so on. While I realize its a no-brainer that I need to stop emotional eating to break the cycle, it still helped to hear her emphasize. Previously all I have felt from her is disdain, but hearing her sympathy made me feel like I healed a little bit. I know that sounds cheesy and dumb, but it did help.

Tough love has never had any effect other than making me not bug others with my problems. The problems were still there, and the tough love approach ("just make better choices") actually made things worse. Her sympathy helped me open up about my pain and struggles and put me on a path to healthiness and seeking the support I need to overcome this issue.

One HUGE thing that has helped me overcome emotional eating, and something I just realized while reading these posts, is the location of my new job. I have to drive by the gym I joined on my way home from work. Thanks to my wonderfully supportive family, who is picking up my slack in getting my daughter after school, it has become routine for me to stop at the gym after work. This disrupts the time when I would engage in emotional/stress eating. Then I get home and make dinner, but feel so good from having worked out that I am able to avoid that bag of chips. And after dinner I don't want to counteract that positive gym thing so I don't snack in the evening.
  • jhanitsch
    jhanitsch Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I definitely am an emotional eater. I believe food can cure all ailments which is probably why I am in the overweight predicament I am in! I'm not really sure how to go about changing those feelings but I am working with a bariatric doctor. I'm sure she will help!
  • amberlilies
    amberlilies Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Spikes in adrenaline and cortisol, as I understand it, trigger an urgent physiological desire to seek out calorie-dense foods. This is connected to the fight or flight response. If you were an animal running from a predator, you would want to consume enough energy to sustain your fight or flight.
  • segula
    segula Posts: 6
    Options
    I am trying to figure out why and when I eat. I have just read a book by Anita Johnston, Eating by the Light of the Moon. She goes into the psychology of eating. Whether it is overeating, eating and purging, or refusing to eat. She has a lot of interesting things to say and it makes sense.

She also associates certain foods with certain emotional needs. For instance eating rich sweet foods because you crave the sweetness of affection or because you want to see yourself as sweeter. Eating salty or crunchy foods to overcome anxiousness or because of a lack of aggressiveness.

I have found that not everything she talks about relates directly to me, but I can find truth in a lot of it. I know that I can lose weight. I have proven it over and over. Now I need to learn to keep it off. To do that I know that I need to find out who stole my Moon and recapture it.
  • fitnhealthy21
    Options
    definately an emotional eater here!! I can eat when happy, sad and everything in between for sure!! Find stress is a big factor in my eating too!!! I started my healthy eating plan as I vowed to loose a stone by my Birthday (17th October) and started off really well but then things cropped up with work and just went downhill again - unfortunately I always reach for high carb, high fat foods and now struggling again to wean myself off them again so sadly unless something drastic happens I think my goal may just be out of reach now!!

Yep, me too! Sometimes I want to eat even though I'm not hungry when I'm happy, sad, or anything in between like you said....

It's not so bad that I can't control it (most of the time lol), but it does get very annoying sometimes. I think we just have to remember that food is fuel.. and reaching for food when we feel sad or upset is not really going to make us feel better in the long run..
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Does bored count as an emotional eater? All I want to do at work when I have nothing to do is eat. This is why nights and weekends are so much easier for me. I read, write, paint, workout etc and have no desire to eat. Week days, I go to my desk job, finish my work then sit & stare at the computer for the next 6-8 hours.
  • suenix24
    suenix24 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have learned that I go for the snacks when I get angry or sad. For a while, that is all that I did. Sometimes when I get upset now, I go and look for something to eat, but lucky for me, there is nothing in the house that I want to snack on. Just like an alcoholic should not have alcohol around, I should not have any oreo's, candies etc available for me. When I am out in public, I am fine. I do not want it. So, I know all of the horrible snacking I did was emotional.

When I am bored, I grab a diet coke and look for something to snack on. I am trying slowly to get the diet coke out of my life. But, I still have one a day.

I think logging the food everyday has helped me alot and made me understand why I ate some of the things I did. I have come a long way and emotional eating will still be around. I am learning to control it. :)