Fat Anchor on News

Options

Replies

• ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Oh geez...again. He was totally out of line for sending that email to her. She was wrong to use a news camera to respond. How unprofessional is that? I could give a **** less whether or not she's overweight. I would have just ignored that email or sent my response in an EMAIL and called it good. No need to turn it into a public affair.
  • amalsbury29
    Options
    I don't know if I agree with him necessarily writing the letter, but him being a "bully". You are right not once did he call her names or anything. So though I may not agree with what he did. I also don't agree with everyone making her a hero either.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    Where's the popcorn?

All that's left is the tofurkey.

Then pass the booze.

Pass Pass Puff... this ****s gonna get ugly.

Umm.... i think you have that backwards....
  • 0Karina0
    0Karina0 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Yeah- but he was commenting on her appearance, which is out of line. He wouldn't have written a letter to a Latino news anchor person saying "I see you're still Mexican and this concerns me because of our increasing border problem in America". The guy who wrote that was a condescending jerk who should have his mouth sewn shut.
    I know right, why cant ppl just stop being fat, or Mexican or disable, i mean whats their problem? why cant they be productive members of society like me, a d.ouche who hides behind a screen to make fun of someone? /s

Source: I'm mexican :)
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    Oh geez...again. He was totally out of line for sending that email to her. She was wrong to use a news camera to respond. How unprofessional is that? I could give a **** less whether or not she's overweight. I would have just ignored that email or sent my response in an EMAIL and called it good. No need to turn it into a public affair.

what she said
  • amalsbury29
    Options
    Being overweight and mexican are two different things, I would know I'm both!
  • melbot24
    melbot24 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure that I would call that letter "bullying".
    However, I think it's inappropriate as well as ignorant to assume that she doesn't work out and doesn't care about her health based off her appearance.

I work out a lot, have plenty of muscle, lots of endurance, eat healthier than most people I know and I'm still overweight. I'm less overweight than I was, but still...I am not at a healthy bmi. I am a work in progress. Will I ever get down to a healthy bmi? Well I'm not sure. I've been overweight my whole life, it might just be a battle I will fight forever.

That is the real problem here, the ignorance behind assuming a person is a certain way because of the way they look.
    Fat=lazy, black=ghetto, gay=weak. Whatever the case is...it's a problem. That's the issue she should have confronted.

When you're in the public eye, there is a responsibility to be a good example for the community. Does she promote health walks? Does she feed her children healthy food? Does she eat healthy herself? I don't know these things. I wouldn't assume to know these things from watching her show once.

Finally, let us not forget there is an additional responsibility for celebrities local or otherwise to be relatable as well. I can't relate to a size 2 news anchor with blindingly white teeth and cosmetic fillers. I would be as motivated by her as I would be by Paris Hilton.

Sure it wasn't bullying, but it was definitely ignorant and judgmental. Again, I wish she had approached this differently and crafted her response in a way that highlighted the real problem.
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    I am almost 39 years old and have never been overweight in my life until the last 2-3 years. It's all emotional for me, and I'm getting a handle on it now. I find myself having far more empathy toward those who struggle with weight than I ever did before.

I think that it is very hateful to say that you have "less sympathy" for somebody who is struggling with weight issues. Even if you do, it isn't your place to call them out on their appearance. That's bullying, and it will never be OK.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Yeah- but he was commenting on her appearance, which is out of line. He wouldn't have written a letter to a Latino news anchor person saying "I see you're still Mexican and this concerns me because of our increasing border problem in America". The guy who wrote that was a condescending jerk who should have his mouth sewn shut.

People might see this differently if the newscaster had been in a wheelchair.

"Dear Ma'am Newscaster, I see that you are still in a wheelchair after all these years. You're a bad role model for little girls because you can't get out of that chair and stand up, so they will assume that you're encouraging people to sit on their butts and be unhealthy."

I'm being ridiculous...sort of...because there WAS a TV newscaster in Denver for many years who used a wheelchair due to a car accident. No idea whether she ever received any insulting mail based on HER appearance or lack of "standing" skills, but I doubt if we'd all be saying that someone sending insulting mail to her would be ok.

Fat-shaming or body-shaming in general still seems to be ok with the general populace, even here on MyFitnessPal where many of us have struggled with our weight and/or eating disorders.

I don't think shaming or insulting someone based on their outward appearance is ever ok, particularly if you don't know their circumstances. That's what I was taught as a child and I try very hard to follow that today.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I don't like to use the term "bully" to describe full grown adults, but I do admire her response to him. She's called attention to something that we all experience from time to time. I would never tell someone they are fat. If they bring it up, I might offer up a good recipe or workout that they might find useful, but I would never bring it up myself, because like she said, he didn't know the full story, or anything about her.

I would be pissed as hell if someone said I was a "bad role model" because of my weight. I could see someone being a bad role model because of their habits that caused them to gain weight, but from what I understand, she has a thyroid condition, and she does exercise by running. Uh yeah, I can relate! I am also hypothyroid. I strongly believe that good role models should eat healthy food and work out, but I also believe that your weight is a much more complex formula than calories in vs. calories out. We should all do what we can, and be proud of that.

The viewer wanted to make her feel ashamed for the way she looks, and she wasn't going to take it. She wanted to set an example for her kids and everyone else in the broadcast that people are worth a lot more than what they look like. Cheers to that!
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one that thinks she bullied the guy by broadcasting his name, without concent?

Go.

Ha ha! Good point. But lesson learned--letters are not private once sent.

However, I don't think either was a bully. If we're calling what he did bullying, we are making bullying into a meaningless word.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

"Dear Ma'am Newscaster, I see that you are still in a wheelchair after all these years. You're a bad role model for little girls because you can't get out of that chair and stand up, so they will assume that you're encouraging people to sit on their butts and be unhealthy."

I'm being ridiculous...sort of...because there WAS a TV newscaster in Denver for many years who used a wheelchair due to a car accident. No idea whether she ever received any insulting mail based on HER appearance or lack of "standing" skills, but I doubt if we'd all be saying that someone sending insulting mail to her would be ok.

Fat-shaming or body-shaming in general still seems to be ok with the general populace, even here on MyFitnessPal where many of us have struggled with our weight and/or eating disorders.

I don't think shaming or insulting someone based on their outward appearance is ever ok, particularly if you don't know their circumstances. That's what I was taught as a child and I try very hard to follow that today.

There is a difference between being disabled and being fat. It would be different if she was disabled and in a wheelchair, because that is something she has no control over. We all know she has control over being fat. I don't think calling people fat or any name calling is okay either. But he did do it in a private message. He wasn't making fun of her in front of others. She is the one who brought it to the public. He was a jerk, that's true, but that comes with the territory of being in the public eye. People are jerks to the president, to senators, to actors, to broadcasters, etc. all the time. People who work in the public eye know to expect it.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one that thinks she bullied the guy by broadcasting his name, without concent?

Go.

However, I don't think either was a bully. If we're calling what he did bullying, we are making bullying into a meaningless word.

Agreed,

Actually with Email, private/public is a slippery slope. Most ethics classes determine Email a private message, and that just sending a message does not pass as concent to broadcast the letter writters name.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    agreed!! omg thank you! thats what ive been saying. im from lacrosse, wi and i grew up watching news ch 8 and jennifer livingston. my fb is crowded with feedback saying omg she brought me to tears, omg shes my hero! bleh i just wana feel sick. whos she standing up for? the obese crowd? theres nothing right with that! the guys who wrote the letter wasnt even mean, he spoke eloquently and respectfully. wasnt even being a bully. thank God someone shares my feelings!!

Just because someone uses rosy language to call you a fat-*kitten* doesn't change the fact that the person called you a fat-*kitten*. It was a stupid and piggish move on that man's part to write that. All this anchor is trying to do is to do her job. All he's trying to do is shame her. Flowery language can't hide the stink of that message.
  • Elzecat
    Options

There is a difference between being disabled and being fat. It would be different if she was disabled and in a wheelchair, because that is something she has no control over. We all know she has control over being fat. I don't think calling people fat or any name calling is okay either. But he did do it in a private message. He wasn't making fun of her in front of others. She is the one who brought it to the public. He was a jerk, that's true, but that comes with the territory of being in the public eye. People are jerks to the president, to senators, to actors, to broadcasters, etc. all the time. People who work in the public eye know to expect it.

So it's ok to be rude to people who are fat but not to people in wheelchairs? Being rude/shaming people is not ok. Unless we know her personally, how does anyone know whether she works out/eats healthy/has medical issues?

I have a friend who's lost 150 pounds in the past 2 years. She's still overweight and still has a ways to go. But a stranger isn't going to know that she is one of my biggest inspirations and close friends, that she works out 5 days a week, that she runs half marathons, that she works with a doctor and trainer weekly, that she is working her butt off (literally) to get healthy...they're just going to see an overweight woman.

You are right that I didn't use a great analogy, but there was absolutely no reason for him to send the email.

Apparently it was her husband who wasmore upset about the email and wanted her to speak out...there's been some follow up on both that and the man who wrote the original email (who apparently is not a fitness expert or trainer of any kind so why is he saying anything anyway?) .

I still believe that saying someone is a bad role model because they're overweight is wrong.

Just my 2 cents that no one has to agree with :)
  • Elzecat
    Options
    I don't like to use the term "bully" to describe full grown adults, but I do admire her response to him. She's called attention to something that we all experience from time to time. I would never tell someone they are fat. If they bring it up, I might offer up a good recipe or workout that they might find useful, but I would never bring it up myself, because like she said, he didn't know the full story, or anything about her.

I would be pissed as hell if someone said I was a "bad role model" because of my weight. I could see someone being a bad role model because of their habits that caused them to gain weight, but from what I understand, she has a thyroid condition, and she does exercise by running. Uh yeah, I can relate! I am also hypothyroid. I strongly believe that good role models should eat healthy food and work out, but I also believe that your weight is a much more complex formula than calories in vs. calories out. We should all do what we can, and be proud of that.

The viewer wanted to make her feel ashamed for the way she looks, and she wasn't going to take it. She wanted to set an example for her kids and everyone else in the broadcast that people are worth a lot more than what they look like. Cheers to that!

Cheers to that, indeed! :drinker:
  • Elzecat
    Options
    agreed!! omg thank you! thats what ive been saying. im from lacrosse, wi and i grew up watching news ch 8 and jennifer livingston. my fb is crowded with feedback saying omg she brought me to tears, omg shes my hero! bleh i just wana feel sick. whos she standing up for? the obese crowd? theres nothing right with that! the guys who wrote the letter wasnt even mean, he spoke eloquently and respectfully. wasnt even being a bully. thank God someone shares my feelings!!

Just because someone uses rosy language to call you a fat-*kitten* doesn't change the fact that the person called you a fat-*kitten*. It was a stupid and piggish move on that man's part to write that. All this anchor is trying to do is to do her job. All he's trying to do is shame her. Flowery language can't hide the stink of that message.

:flowerforyou:

I wanted to believe that the letter writer had positive motives, but I really don't think he has any sincere concern for her or her health.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Where's the popcorn?

All that's left is the tofurkey.

Then pass the booze.

Don't bogart that! :laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Umm.... i think you have that backwards....

Now I'm mad that someone else noticed and I didn't! Stop bullying me!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Go.

Agreed,

Actually with Email, private/public is a slippery slope. Most ethics classes determine Email a private message, and that just sending a message does not pass as concent to broadcast the letter writters name.

I guess technically he could sue!