Posture

Options
I'll admit it, I'm pressed for time so I'm being lazy and asking all of you instead, but does anyone have advice on how to correct years of bad posture? I enjoy the feeling of having oxygen in my diaphragm when I take deep breaths and I can't do it when my body is all slouched. Any ideas on how to correct this? Chest out, abs in, shoulders down and back right? But how do I make this "natural"?

Replies

• againagain
    againagain Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    yoga ! :)
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I'm just here for the drama
  • ChinUp4Life
    Options
    Buy a light band,

Do band pull-aparts throughout the day. Like minimum 50 reps, maybe up to 150 over the entire day.

This works the scapula retractors, rear deltoids, rhomboids, and mid traps -- all the important muscles to keep your upper back upright, tight, and in good position.

It's not a cure all, but it will improve it.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    grab a heavy bar and pick it up off the ground. You won't do it wrong for long...
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    In before the insults fly!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Yes. Yoga is good practice. Most poses call for holding your shoulders back and concentrating on your breathing. Definitely opens up your chest and allows your diaphragm to move more easily, for more comfortable, deeper breathing.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Due to the threat of insults, if anyone has advice, please Private Message me them. I am serious when I say I need advice on this but I'm not going to stick around and get tore apart like I was last week. Thank you in advance. :flowerforyou:
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    Only going to bump this once. If anyone knows how to correct bad posture, please message me. Yoga seems like a good option, anyone else have a strategy that worked for them?
  • wjranch
    wjranch Posts: 152
    Options
    Only going to bump this once. If anyone knows how to correct bad posture, please message me. Yoga seems like a good option, anyone else have a strategy that worked for them?

I have suffered a simliar problem... Years of ... hmm, excessively large breasts.... had caused me to sit, stand, walk with very poor posture. Not only from the physical weight I carried on my rather small frame, but, the mental weight as well.

My first suggestion to you is this... get to a decent reputable chiropractor and have your spinal alignment assessed. Once you know you aren't dealing with any scoliosis or other deformities of the spine, you will be able to get the doctor to design a plan for you to implement on a daily basis to begin to correct the poor posture.
    Trust me, this will take TIME and likely be rather uncomfortable as well. But, You didn't get this way overnight, You ain't getting fixed that quick either!!

Once you know that all is well with your structure, then I would secondly suggest you focus on exercises that will strengthen and stretch your back... ALL of it, from the Cervical / Thoracic / Lumbar and Sacrum. As you do this, you'll learn that old song "leg bone connected to the hip bone.... etc etc" really is true... One weak link will slow your progress. Learn early on to focus on building the weakest point up and then moving on...Otherwise, You just end up with injuries that sideline you. (Experience talking here!! )

Good Luck!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Yoga definitely helped my posture. Also when I started riding horses and studying dressage techniques learning how to sit properly translated into better posture all around. I'm not recommending buying a horse but the principals are the same as a proper tadasana in yoga. Proper spinal alignment through lengthening through the top of the head and just being mindful of it all the time.

Also, strength training will help with posture. When your muscles are better able to support you you'll stand up straighter. When you increase the size of your chest you'll want to shove it out more.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering where all this predicted drama and insults are going to come from? I've never seen a post about posture turn ugly.

I also have bad posture. I sit at a desk all day.
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    Once you know you aren't dealing with any scoliosis or other deformities of the spine

Funny you mention that, I had a ladder fall accident at my last employer from 2004 that I didn't take seriously and now I have damage to my thoracic region of my back (T7-T9 region). I've recently taken magnesium supplements and I've had inflammation in that area of my back but I read that could be a good thing because it could be rebuilding the bones (or it could be gas putting pressure on it and in that case it's BAD). But thank you for your input, I'll see if I can find an affordable chiropractor and start going again.
  • Cespuglio
    Cespuglio Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Yoga, Ballet, strength training (if done with proper form), pilates, jumping rope (almost impossible to do with poor posture).
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    tumblr_ma0s1uaNjy1rufrc8.gif