Anyone else trying to lose those last 8 punds?

Options
I have been trying to lose those last 8 punds since February but no such luck! I have been excercising quite a lot and eating rather healthily since then but they just won't go! Has anyone managed to get rid of this 'stubborn' fat?

Replies

• kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I'm going for the last 10 so far I've gotten rid of 5. Can you share your stats and open your diary...maybe you can get more specific help that way.
  • primadonnah
    Options
    I'm not sure how I can make it visible to everyone.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Me! I'm 123 trying to hit 115-118. So far I've been losing, but not at a fast clip.
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how I can make it visible to everyone.

Go to My Home> Sttings> Diary Settings and choose public. Don't worry you can change it back at any time I just leave mine though b/c it keeps me honest.
  • primadonnah
    Options
    I think everyone can see it now
  • MrsSullivan08
    MrsSullivan08 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I have my last 17 lbs that have proven to be really difficult for me to shed. :(
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I find if I eat more I loose more so try upping your calories 100 cals or more and see what happens.

Also your protein looks too low you could cut back a bit on carbs and up the protein. It helps some people.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,001 Member
    Options
    There is a "last 10 lbs" group here on mfp - I'm a member!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're getting enough water too. You've only logged 5 glasses yesterday.
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I need to loose that last 10, but the truth is I've been less than diligent with my eating. Lots of vacations this summer, plus multiple birthdays. I've had as many days eating above my goal as I have at it. Guess I just don't feel the urgency like I did at the beginning. I am maintaining - not gaining
  • Evey_bee
    Evey_bee Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm only my last 6 now! and it's a sloooooow process for me too.
  • BetterCrazyThanLazy
    Options
    I am in the same boat! Last 8-10 lbs. I have tried increasing and decreasing my calories and nothing works... now I just work out like crazy and try to net at 1200 and hope for the best. At least I am tonning up. :)
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    that would be me. about 8.8 left to be exact. i got sidetracked in february, was 1 lb from my goal weight and then gained 10-15 back... that was rough. i've gotten about 4.2 of those off, but still have some to go... feel free to add me.
  • sophayz
    sophayz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    im at my last 9 and god its the hardest ever ! i started eating more since ppl say it should help and going to the gym everyday .. its been 2 weeks now and i still didnt see any difference ( i lost about 75 pounds befor even getting this app)
  • marybell82
    marybell82 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    i have the last 10 to lose and i find myself getting rather lazy about it! ... i need to get re motivated to just get to the goal and maintain... im at 1200 calories (roughly, on a good day) i just need to exercise more.
  • BetterCrazyThanLazy
    Options
    There is a "last 10 lbs" group here on mfp - I'm a member!

There are a bunch of "last 10 lbs" groups but none of them seems to be very active...
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to lose those last 8 punds since February but no such luck! I have been excercising quite a lot and eating rather healthily since then but they just won't go! Has anyone managed to get rid of this 'stubborn' fat?

Mainly it's a slower process. You have to do a gentle deficit not as deep as you can go when you have more fat reserves. I have a special calculator from another program that helped me know how much to taper up and still be in a deficit.

You might have to notch your calories down by 100-200, or up if you are too low. Only you can determine this with your doctor and experimentation. I've noticed that for me the MFP numbers are a little too high for my height.

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, hormones, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You cannot make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory

Taller people have more room in their calorie budget to go up or down. Shorter people like me have less room and get frustrated with "eat more" because that typically does not work for us. If you are confused about it don't just listen to any of us, do some research and get approval from your doctor, then just do what you need to do and tune the rest of us out.

Once I got leaner I had to taper UP my calories. The leaner you get the less of a calorie deficit your body can handle. It needs to be a long slow shallow deficit. For me still under a doctor’s care, this is around 1000-1200 calories because I am so short, petite, and am under 12% body fat where I truly can go into starvation mode if I ate under 1000 calories. I have supporting documentation below. Again, you must seek your doctor’s advice. No one here can tell you how many calories to eat, either up or down. It really does depend on your RMR which is mainly driven by height.

While there is no one size fits all I listed the things that worked for me here --> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout

I found the following quotes helpful for sorting through all the myths plastered all over the place
    What is the exact number of calories for you?

We’ve been trying to figure out an exact NUMBER of calories that everyone should be eating, without recognizing that everyone is slightly different. In truth, the calories aren’t the end game. Your body is. So the EXACT amount of Calories that are right for you is the EXACT amount that will allow you to maintain your ideal bodyweight no matter what some calculator or chart says.

In other words, an online calculator might tell you that you need to eat 2,500 calories
    per day to maintain your ideal bodyweight. But the only way to know for sure if this is
    the right amount for you is to test it out. If you gain weight or can’t lose weight eating
    that much, then you know you need to eat less to lose weight no matter how many
    calculators and text books say otherwise.

This doesn’t mean your metabolism is broken, it just means the estimate of your needs
    was just a bit off.

-John Barban (The Body Centric Calorie Guide from the Venus Index and Adonis Index Manuals)

The Theory of Fat Availability:
    •There is a set amount of fat that can be released from a fat cell.
    •The more fat you have, the more fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •The less fat you have, the less fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •Towards the end of a transformation, when body fat is extremely low you
    may not have enough fat to handle a large caloric deficit anymore.

At the extreme low end, when your body fat cannot ‘keep up’ with the energy deficit
    you've imposed on your body, the energy MUST come from SOMEWHERE. This is
    when you are at risk of losing lean body mass during dieting (commonly referred to
    as ‘starvation mode’). This happens at extremely low levels of body fat, under 6% in
    men and 12% in women [Friedl K.E. J Appl Phsiol, 1994].

-Brad Pilon and John Barban (from The Reverse Taper Diet in The Adonis Index and Venus Index manuals)
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    whatever californiagirl says - listen!!!
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I forgot to comment - I've been holding on to my last 15 for a year and that means my az is lazy, as long as I'm not gaining. But that should change because my group of friends are vying to lose 10 by thanksgiving so I may be at my last 5 in november!!
  • summergrl17
    summergrl17 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I wish!