I have a sugar problem...

Options
Hi everyone!

I've come pretty far in my journey, but I know I could of been where i wanted to by now....if it wasn't for my sweet tooth.
It's like i need to have something sweet everyday. I don't eat chips really or fatty foods... just have to have dessert. Anyone else have been in the same situation before?

If so, what have you done to eliminate the cravings etc.... I have to break this bad habit!!

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I've come pretty far in my journey, but I know I could of been where i wanted to by now....if it wasn't for my sweet tooth.
    It's like i need to have something sweet everyday. I don't eat chips really or fatty foods... just have to have dessert. Anyone else have been in the same situation before?

If so, what have you done to eliminate the cravings etc.... I have to break this bad habit!!

I would eat something sweet every day and just be sure it fits into your daily calorie and macronutrient targets. I don't think the desire to eat something sweet is a bad habit.
  • beccalongnecker07
    beccalongnecker07 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I do the 3-2-1 cake. I'm trying a new recipes tonight for Pumpkin Ricotta pudding.
  • Goatgirl8
    Goatgirl8 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I too have a sugar issue. I'm pretty sure it's a problem for a lot of people. Although I still struggle with cravings from time-to-time I've recently be able to tame it. I simply stopped cold turkey. For about three weeks I made it a point to not eat any added sugar. I even cut way back on fruit and juices. It helped. I don't crave as much, but when I do eat something sweet, I notice I tend to want it more.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound like a bad habit to me. Eat a little dessert and make sure it fits into your calories, unless there's a reason you want to completely eliminate it? Then you could try eating fruit for the sweet taste after your meal, which will probably fulfill your needs.
  • AlbaAngel25
    AlbaAngel25 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    thanks for ur input:)

I guess I just have to limit myself to small portions of sweets and not go over my cal's.

I wonder if its worse to like fatty foods over sugar?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    thanks for ur input:)

I guess I just have to limit myself to small portions of sweets and not go over my cal's.

I wonder if its worse to like fatty foods over sugar?

If you're remaining in a net caloric deficit then it's not going to matter. Any acute fat storage will just be oxidized later.

I wouldn't worry about it. Eat "a little" dessert even if it's daily. Eat "mostly" nutrient dense foods. Beyond that, don't complicate things.
  • kclarkss
    kclarkss Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have a bad sweet tooth too. I am trying my best to cut out all the sugary items that pop in my head that I want to eat.

I found pineapple greek yogurt helps. It does have some sugar because of the pineapple.

I will share a desert with my husband and really only have a few bites.

Scooping out ice cream for the kids I will have a teaspoon.

I can't cut myself off all together. Moderation is the key. Most of the time I find after trying to really be good and cut back that when I do indulge I can really taste the sweetness and what I took a bite of is way too sweet.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Eat a few olives when you crave sugar. The healthy fats will satiate you and the fat and salt will kill the immediate sugar craving.

Eliminating added sugars from your diet and only eating sugars from fruits and veggies will also help to tame the sugar demon a bit. But, if you're eating low fat / high carb in general, you will probably crave sugar no matter what... at least I did. You probably won't slay the sugar demon unless you go lower carb.
  • The_Dude
    The_Dude Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    If you eat to much sugar it might not be best for your health but for pure weight its all about the calories.

I also have a sweet tooth and while doing MFP I still ate many of the things I enjoy but just in moderation and less frequency and made sure it was in my calories. There were a few times I was dying to have ice cream. There is a great little gelatto place about 1.8 miles from my house so if I couldn't shake the craving I'd walk there at a brisk pace and the round trip of 3.6 miles would help me stay under my net calorie goal. It also helped me keep perspective. If I wasn't willing to commit the time and energy to walk there why did I really need to eat it?