Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Office type of work advice needed

2»

Replies

• GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    be careful friending co-workers on facebook and if you do, think twice before you post ANYTHING.

Take lots of notes

Looked polished and professional

Be courteous

Smile when you answer the phone, smile when you meet anyone new, or whenever anyone comes into the office.

Never assume. If you don't know the answer, tell the person that you just are not sure and you will get the correct answer and get back to them quickly

Avoid the drama as much as possible

and mosty important of all try to enjoy yourself.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    My only advice is to ask questions if you're unsure. I'd much rather answer a question than have to go back and try to fix stuff. Thank people when they help you, and try to maintain good, professional relationships with everyone - you never know who's help you might need in the future.

First day - dress quite conservatively (a nice pair of pants and button up shirt). You'll soon gauge the dress code and office etiquette, but you don't want to stick out on your first day as someone who rocks the low cut tops and mini skirts if it's not accepted there.

Show up a few minutes early, and don't 'clock watch' all day.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Don't hook up with anyone
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Don't hook up with anyone

awwwwwww sad :-( LOL
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    What does the job involve? Once you get past the basics of using the computer and telephone, office work will vary greatly depending on which part of the college you are working in.

One of my greatest frustrations with other office workers (hence why I offer this suggestion), is people who don't stay current with commonly used programs on their PC, Word, Excel, Powerpoint etc. This leads them to do things the hard way or make mistakes. As someone who is largely responsible for the outward presentation of materials from our company, this means I have to spend a lot of my time reworking other people's works.

So be sure to take every chance to improve your skills and you will be fine.

Good luck with your new job.

yes I am going to look online and seek a few tutorials if I can find them.. She said answering phones, front desk, filing, spread sheets( which I am clueless on I mean I only learned how to change the ink cartridge on my printer last night haha) Directing people where to go , knowing where the 3 ladies are at all times I will be working for to direct people, typing up letters... I am such a virgin to this job haha
    Sounds like a receptionist type position, which is how I started with my current company. The most important thing for me, and my biggest asset, was personality and manners. Be polite and be friendly. You'll get training on the programs you'll be working with, and if you're a quick learner that should be no problem. But if you don't already have good manners and a positive attitude, those things are going to be harder to learn.

Smile, especially on the phone--it makes a difference.

Try to use professional language, not text speak or slang.

Say please and thank you!

Yes, like everyone says, leave the drama at home!

Don't gossip!!!

Everyone gets down time, but don't be screwing around with crossword puzzles or facebook if you have work to do!

Does this sound familiar: "Hi, how are you?" "Good, how are you?" "Fine" now that that's out of the way, blah blah blah. Don't do that! Nothing says, "I'm just trying to get through this social construct and I don't actually care" than this conversation. Instead, I kept a list of rarely used positive words by my phone (sensational, exceptional, extraordinary, magnificent, phenomenal, etc) and any time anyone asked me "How are you" I would throw one of those at them, usually followed by "Thank you for asking. How are you?" It stops them in their tracks and then they actually take notice of you and can't seem to help but smile. That tells them that you're an upbeat person with a good attitude and a great vocabulary, and probably a little quirky. It sounds silly, but it makes a difference.

Be a team player. Sometimes things need to get done and the person who normally does them isn't there and maybe it's not one of your duties. Don't let that stop you from making an effort to get it done. The end goal is to help the students, so don't make excuses about how it's not your job or that person isn't here. That doesn't help anyone. Do everything you can to make people feel like you care about them and you take their questions or concerns seriously.

Don't fly by the seat of your pants. If you need help, ask for it.

Remember, you've chosen to take this job, nobody forced you, so don't complain about your job responsibilities to other people and especially don't take it out on the people your office serves by being rude (think about people at the DMV--ever wonder why if they're so miserable that they have to be jerks to everyone that they just don't quit? Don't be a DMV jerk!).

Did you manage to make it through all that? :laugh:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Here is the best piece of advice I ever got, from a sweet old lady who was a high school teacher (very old school- back then it was all called secretarial, not administrative or any of the modern terms, and with shorthand, that tells you how old she was) and it has taken me through a lot of years: "A good secretary does not have to know everything, but she should know how to find out"

These days with the internet, that is a lot easier to do. In the old days I used to be calling the public library on the phone a lot to have them look up this or that in different business directories or whatever.

If you don't know something, a good response is, "I don't know, but I will find out" and then do so. This way you aren't bluffing and you aren't lying, and you are showing initiative. Of course, if it is something via email or other written communication, you actually have time to find out before you have to admit you don't know. :)

Uh what else.....
    Learn the line between being friendly and polite versus giving TMI or getting too personal with people. For example, in a store one time, one of the things I was buying was laundry detergent, and the cashier started trying to make conversation around what I was buying. I just thought that was kind of creepy, it was a young man and I wondered what he would have said if I was buying female hygiene products instead. I mean, in that situation, you talk about the weather, or the road construction out in front of the store, you don't talk about personal purchases. It just didn't ring true, coming from him, that he was truly interested in talking about my laundry.

Clothing- it is best to dress conservatively, err on the side of caution. It is best to not to have too much hanging out. Old fashioned, yeah probably, but it can ward off a lot of potential problems. Don't have thong showing above waistband, gap between top and bottom, or too much cleavage or straps showing. You will be taken more seriously as a professional.

That's all I can think of for now, if I think of more I'll let you know.
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    1. Work on your typing skills! Check out Mavis Beacon Typing Tutor. You have to purchase it, although there might be a free trial or something. Or if you can't do that, just google "Free typing teacher".
    2. Learn Microsoft Excel. Check out this link: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/up-to-speed-with-excel-2007-RZ010062103.aspx to help you start off. Or, again, google "microsoft excel tutorials".
    3. Research how to write professional letters, forms, etc. Professionalism is key!!!
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Thanks everyone ... All good advice