My first 10K

Hi all - I'm running my first 10K this Sunday and I'm a little nervous... I've been following the Smart Coach program from Runners World pretty closely so I feel okay about that. My biggest concern is that it is supposed to rain on Sunday... and I've never run in the rain and have no idea what to expect or what to wear. Any suggestions? Also - when I go on my runs I usually have a water bottle with me (I've started wearing a Nathan's belt) should I wear it during the race? I'm thinking Gu and the electrolyte tabs you add to water won't be necessary b/c it is only a 10K.... any tips/suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated!

Replies

• Sherylmarlee
    Sherylmarlee Posts: 224 Member
    How awesome is this!!! Congrats!! I strongly recommend not wearing anything cotton!!! It will only weigh you down once it absorbs the rain. Any moisture wicking clothing will do. I actually love to run in the rain....I find it very refreshing. If you fuel and hydrate properly from now until your race, you should be fine sans fuel during the race. Maybe take a GU with you if you think you need the crutch, but, sometimes, I find that it just lays there and doesn't do me much good. I prefer the Stinger Waffles, but, not sure I would need them on a 10k. I use them on my longer runs of 10+ miles. Chew gum....it will help keep your mouth moist and keep your mind off of the potential need for water. This little trick made the biggest difference in my running. If you wear contacts, maybe consider wearing a hat, depending on what type of rain you are expecting. Heavy rains make my contacts shift, so a hat works well for me in this situation. Start drinking lots of water now so you are properly hydrated and consider having a slightly heavier carb meal the night before your run. I usually eat a regular bfast the day of my races and then a protein shake (6 ozs) 45 mins or so before, but I usually schedule my heat times for noon or so. If you are running super early a banana or apple with just the tiniest smidge of pb would work well.

Most of all....have fun!!! Good luck!
  • Don't take any Gu or water. You don't need the Gu for a short race. Just use the water stations on the course.

As far as rain, that is no problem unless there is lightening (then don't run) or if it is cold. If it is going to be cold or chilly, then go to a running shop and get their advice on some gear, but don't overdress! It is easy to get hot and uncomfortable if you dress wrong.

Running in the rain is fun. If you think about it, doesn't it seem like a fun thing to do?
  • 3RMomma
    3RMomma Posts: 55 Member
    Running in the rain is fun. If you think about it, doesn't it seem like a fun thing to do?

Guess I never really thought about it as anything but wet and cold.... which it likely will be since the high for Sunday is supposed to be 49.... but you are right - I need to think of it as fun - like when I was a kid!
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    I love running in the rain! I am so totally jealous. Every 10K I have done has been a beautiful day~for the spectators~but just a little too warm for the runners. You should have a wonderful time. They are right when they way, "no cotton". You will feel like you are running with a load on your back. If you have any shirts with that "fancy fabric" moisture wicking stuff, wear that~it is worth it's weight in gold! Above all, just enjoy yourself! A 10K is a great distance!!!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Enjoy and good luck! you won't need gu for a 10km...And they have enough water stations...Wear technical gear to prevent chafing, a light breathable jacket if you have one, and a must (for me) is a baseball cap - technical fabric if you can) to keep the rain out of your face..... I hate the rain in my face....
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    I just got in the door from running 5km in a light rain - I love running in the rain!

As the others have said, don't worry about gels or carrying water for a 10K but I would suggest that even if you're not thirsty grab some water from each station and at least take a small sip, Chances are if it's cool outside and you're properly hydrated leading up to the race you won't really need it but if you're accustomed to some water while running it's not going to hurt.

Lay out all your gear the day before, get a good night's sleep and watch your pace - it's really easy to get caught up in the excitemet and go out too fast.

Good luck & have fun! Don't forget to smile as you cross the finish line.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member

Guess I never really thought about it as anything but wet and cold.... which it likely will be since the high for Sunday is supposed to be 49.... but you are right - I need to think of it as fun - like when I was a kid!
    I bet 49 won't feel too too bad since you will be exerting yourself. Maybe go on a very short jog tomorrow in what you are thinking of wearing to see if it feels comfortable. A visor or baseball cap to keep the rain out of your eyes if it's really coming down can be helpful, and maybe a long-sleeved technical fabric T-shirt if you have one.
  • LSUrunningmom
    LSUrunningmom Posts: 4 Member
    Hooray! I just did my first race in the rain this past Sunday and I hate running in the rain. You should be fine with the My suggestion would be to wear something light that won't weigh you down while you are running if it does rain. There should be water stations along the way so you shouldn't need to bring water. The race organized will usually tell you if/where the water stations will be. I don't think you will need GU or salt tabs or anything like that. Make sure you jog a little before to warm your muscles up and warm yourself up. You will do great!!!!

Oh, make sure to bring a change of clothes, dry shoes and socks, and towels.

Watch out for warming up too fast after like getting in the car and turning on the heater full blast to warm up. Warm up gradually.

Most importantly, HAVE FUN!!!!

Good luck!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Rain, total polyester outfit that hopefully won't hold water too bad.
    Shoes confirmed to be tight since they'll want to move around on you easily, increasing chances of blisters.
    No extra energy needed unless you plan on running in the lactate threshold zone rather than aerobic/tempo zone.