Show me dramatic weight loss over 50 years old

Options
Hi all! I have a dear friend who wants to lose a lot of weight to get in shape and fight diabetes, but she is very discouraged and overwhelmed and feels like it’s impossible to lose a lot of weight at age 55. I'd love to show her some extreme examples to help motivate her to join this sight. There are so many great success stories out there, any one lost like 100 lbs over age 50?? I'd love some before and after pics. I know there are plenty of you out there! Thanks for sharing your awesomeness! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Tell her she can do it.
    I turned 61 last Sunday. I have lost 96 pounds so far. I did not believe that I could do it, but I did.
    I want to lose 50 more, and now I believe that I can, and will reach my goal.
  • flatblade
    flatblade Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'm not finished in my journey by a long shot, but I have lost 44 pounds in about 10 weeks. I think it is pretty dramatic and I've handled the experience without bouts of hunger or any major setbacks. BTW, I'm 58.
  • valorieflowers
    Options
    Thanks, and great job! Any others? I know you guys are out there. With before and after pictures :)
  • supermoo2
    Options
    I'm 53 and since the end of January have lost almost 3 and a half stone (just over 47 pounds) - almost 10 inches off the waist, and inches from bottom, thighs and arms as well. I have dropped 3 dress sizes in the process.

I have trouble positng photos, but will try later.
  • supermoo2
    Options
    Mine has been slower than most people like, but it is better that way to keep weight off and to be healthy. However, the difference is quite dramatic.

Unfortunately alot of women 50+ are told, and believe, that they are unable to lose weight - complete fallacy. If you want to do it, and stick to smaller portions, the right food and do some exercise (doesn't have to be more than walking - mine is just walking and some cycling) then it can be done.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I started in December 2011 and have lost 42 pounds. I am 53 years old, 5'8" and have gone from pushing out of US size 14 to a size 8, with a couple of size 6 items in my wardrobe that fit!

I don't post pics, but it is utter nonsense that age deters weight loss. You don't need pills or hormones. I am prescription free, and take a simple multi vitamin every day. I log every day of my life and will always log. Small price to pay in time and it's so easy with the App and internet.

I will say that protein is my friend, and the basis for all my meals. There is a great book out - "The Menopause Makeover". It changed my whole attitude about my fitness I do believe at every decade we need to adjust our fitness - physical and mental and monitor our activity level and nutrition needs.

I weigh less now than when I was in college. (but I enjoyed beer and chicken fried steak a lot back then!).

Op, tell your friend to get a full physical with a doctor who can refer her to the right nutriionist and physical therapist or to explore MFP, (free!) or look at some of the blogs/websites like More magazine (free! on the internet) or Fab over Fifty (Free!). Get inspired!
  • supermoo2
    Options
    I have difficulty posting photos, but my profile pic is now a comparison - the 'bigger' me is 8 December 2011 and the 'smaller' me is 1 August 2012.
    I have lost a little more in the last couple of months, but these are the best photos I could find to compare the size
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Its not impossible, I've rolled back the weight 25 years so far. I'm 65 and have been overweight most of my life. 28 lost out of 100 so far.
  • amez1974
    amez1974 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    No pictures, but I have a friend on WW who has lost 80 plus pounds over the last 1.5 years and she is 58. Before she that she had already lost another 80 lbs for a total of about 160 lbs while she was over 50.

My mom has lost about 60 lbs over the last two years as well and she is 67 years old. She still has more to go, but she isn't always consistent with her diet, however she keeps climbing back on the wagon!

It is definitely possible at any age.
  • FredAvery
    FredAvery Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i am 50 years old and have lost 95 pounds and I started on April 15th!
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    BarbellBlondieRuns Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Check out one of my pals on here: grannygethealthy1111. She is 62. Gorgeous & beaming. Lost 117 lbs (more than half her weight). All on her own! She works out hard with cardio & weights consistently and she tracks cals every day.
  • MaryPhilomena
    MaryPhilomena Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am 60 and have lost 60 pounds since January 2012. Age is no barrier and only used as an excuse not to do anything about the weight
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I AM 60 and I went on the weight loss journey at 58
    I weight 264 at my highest and now I am 115
    I do not now how to post the photo here but they are on my profile
    it is open to the public. It is worth losing all those extra pounds!
    You are never to old to get in shape!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I am 56, had bariatric surgery July 2011. My line shows you where I am in my journey. Don't know that I'm a real good example for what you had in mind. I couldn't do it without the surgery. Understand, the surgery is only a tool, eating healthy and exercising are still the only way I will continue to lose and keep it off. But it is a tool that is essential to my success in this.
  • wisebadger53
    wisebadger53 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    *raises hand* I started just about a year ago just before my 58th birthday.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I really have been trying since March and have lost 67 pounds at 50 years old. Tell your friend to A.) Join this site and see for herself and B.) It takes just that first step, it can be done it may take a little longer but it is so worth it...Good luck.
  • dimarston
    dimarston Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Sorry no photos to post, but I am 54 and lost 100lb in just over a year. I think one of the most important parts is exercise every day, even if it is just a walk.. You have to get your engine reved up.
  • tennisluv33
    tennisluv33 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It is true, it might be more difficult to lose weight as we age.........but............it is probably because we slow down a bit. I will be 80 next year and I have lost weight slowly and methodically as I planned. I stepped up my activity and thanks to this website, I keep track of my eating. I don't have a dramatic weight loss to achieve but it doesn't matter how much! It is the journey we must keep on. Best of luck to your friend.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!