Cleaning

Options
When is it ok to log cleaning?? I am just wondering because I was logging it and then I seen a post that you shouldn't log it. I am wondering because I do a good amount of cleaning I have two young boys and many animals that I clean up after everyday.

Replies

• Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    i always log it.
    when i clean. i go like postal on my house.
    im up,im down,im dancing,im squating,im leaning over things. im walking, im moving things.

sounds like cardio to me! lol.

and i log when i go shopping to cause im usually shopping for atleast two hours and im walkin that time to!

so,i say log it.
  • jazzalea
    jazzalea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    wow you're gonna start something!..... so let me get in early!

I ALWAYS log my cleaning.... and I will tell you why.... cuz when I know I"m logging I put EXTRA effort into it.... I figure if calories can pile on one at a time.... they gotta come off the same way... and you can't tell me that I'm not burning extra calories scrubbing my floors, counters, vaccuuming ( dammit how do you spell vaccumming??????) scrubbing tubs, bent over a toilet cleaning and sweating and puffing!....

there are LOTS of people for whom these everyday activities don't require extra effort on their part.... but I am the LAZIEST person I know if I'm not motivated by personal gain..... so if cleaning with ATTITUDE means I'm gonna burn more calories then BELIEVE me I'm gonna CLEAN MY *kitten* OFF and record it!.....

NOW where's my mop???

ducks.......:flowerforyou:
  • Jes_ika
    Jes_ika Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Haha yea when I clean I really clean plus I have music on so I move to the music too. I clean the whole house everyday maybe I'm OCD. Lol... plus I clean my pool almost everyday. Not to mention all the animals
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    If I'm just straightening up, I don't log it, as I consider it part of my normal activity. But when I'm CLEANING - dusting, moving furniture, running around like a lunatic - I log it.

If I feel like I'm working, if it makes me tired, if I feel like I've been running around and want to sit down to rest after it, it sounds like exercise to me.

I do the same with gardening. Puttsing around feeding the chickens and picking tomatoes - no big deal. Spading, mucking out the hen house, moving bales of hay, weeding, trimming hedges? Log.
  • Jes_ika
    Jes_ika Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    If I'm just straightening up, I don't log it, as I consider it part of my normal activity. But when I'm CLEANING - dusting, moving furniture, running around like a lunatic - I log it.

If I feel like I'm working, if it makes me tired, if I feel like I've been running around and want to sit down to rest after it, it sounds like exercise to me.

I do the same with gardening. Puttsing around feeding the chickens and picking tomatoes - no big deal. Spading, mucking out the hen house, moving bales of hay, weeding, trimming hedges? Log.

Cool you have chickens how many? I have 2 I just started so I can have fresh eggs
  • susan9
    susan9 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Did a lot of cleaning today and it was rough. I'm sure I burned lots of calories.
  • sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I to log cleaning, the big stuff as others have noted, I usually log the Tim cut in half, so an hour of cleaning gets logged 30 minutes. Fall here and raking leaves, yes I will be logging that too.
  • jaharrison763
    jaharrison763 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I don't log the daily picking up, dishes, laundry, etc. But I log if I'm dusting, vacuuming, scrubbing floors, washing windows, etc.
  • katamus
    katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options
    I don't log cleaning. I feel like if cleaning did ANYTHING for me, I wouldn't have gained weight to begin with.
  • phildawson75
    phildawson75 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I log cleaning my teeth..

Seriously though anything you do on a regular basis should already be taken into consideration. If you do above the normal amount of cleaning your activity level and TDEE is going to be slightly higher. Your deficit should already take this into account.

Pretty silly to log anything done as part of your normal day imo. It just means you waste time logging it and won't lose as fast as you're basically giving yourself extra cals to play with.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    It depends how you have set your your daily activity level.

- If you normally sit for most of the day and have set your level at sedentary, then logging cleaning (something significant, not just straightening the cushions!) is quite valid.
    - If you chose "lightly active" as your activity level to account for the moving around you do during the day then I wouldn't add in cleaning as an extra activity unless you had a seriously long cleaning session that is outside what you normally do day to day.

It isn't a matter of being "right" or "wrong" to log cleaning - it depends how you have chosen to set up your calorie goal.
  • StephDuffney
    StephDuffney Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I dont log the day to day stuff, however when i do deep house clean I log it. I have over 1,500 home with hard wood floors.
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    I don't log it because I don't log exercise at all (it's built into my goal), but if I did I would because Cleaning is not a daily or even weekly thing for me. Tidying up and "chores" done everyday are not the same as Cleaning and are included in ones TDEE to begin with, at least they should be.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    The daily stuff...dishes, laundry, dusting etc. I don't log. I do log half my time when I get into the "big stuff"... scrubbing grout on the tile floor, steam cleaning the wood floors, scrubbing down the bathroom tub/shower... the things you don't do every day/week that make me feel like I have worked out. I also log during the holidays when I am in the kitchen for hours doing prep work...cutting, chopping, mixing etc...but I usually have the music loud and am dancing around too. :tongue: