how often work out

Options
i get mixed reactions when googleing this. im always told that you should give you body breaks when working out work diff areas on diff day. but my main thing is how often can you
say like abs i worked on that for a day took 3 days till i wasnt sore anymore. does that mean i can do it again after 3 days or can u do it daily?

Replies

• ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    It depends on what type of exercise you are talking about.

If you are doing near-maximal work like sprinting or heavy weight lifting, wait 48 hours before repeating the exercise for that body part.

If you are doing low- or moderate-intensity cardio like running (not all-out sprinting, but running at a conversational pace) or walking, dancing, etc. you can do that daily once you're conditioned for it. If you are new to those activities, you would want to start with every other day while you are getting conditioned.
  • baoneill29
    baoneill29 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    you don't want to do abs every day, about 3 times a week is plenty. It takes the days between for your muscles to heal and grow. Typicaly you work 1 body part a day each week, but that being said, many muscles are going to be used each day for support. The major body groups would be chest, back, arms, legs, and shoulders.

You should be able to find some workout routines online.
  • WilmaDennis91
    WilmaDennis91 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I work out almost everyday. I'm in cheerleading Monday and Wednesday, but I go to the gym twice a week and pilates 3 times a week. I sometimes workout on weekend... I shouldn't lol.
  • agirl4me
    agirl4me Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I try for 6 days a week.

2 days with my trainer. Heavy weight lifting.

The other 4 days I do about 40 minutes of cardio, 4 sets of 30 lunges (working on building my bootie) and some ab work.
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    3 to 5x a week max.. I can't do 6x a week, I've found my body responds better with at least two rest days. Also don't work the same groups without at least a days rest in between.

For me this seems to be the most effective. I've lost more since cutting back from 6x a week cardio.
  • FearlessRobb
    FearlessRobb Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    It depends on what type of exercise you are talking about.

If you are doing near-maximal work like sprinting or heavy weight lifting, wait 48 hours before repeating the exercise for that body part.

If you are doing low- or moderate-intensity cardio like running (not all-out sprinting, but running at a conversational pace) or walking, dancing, etc. you can do that daily once you're conditioned for it. If you are new to those activities, you would want to start with every other day while you are getting conditioned.

Im talking about lifting and doing strength.
    Like right now its set up something like
    saterdays=abs
    mondays= arms and chest
    wensday= shoulders and back

But i was looking to see if i could do something like
    saturday=abs
    sundday shoulders and back
    monday= arms and chest
    wensday= abs
    thursday= shoulder and back
    friday= arms and chest

Doing each area 2 times a week but have the areas spread 3-4 days apart.
    Im still working on getting back in the shape i was before i was sick for a few months lol so im not doing crazy weight but enough to deff feel sore for a few days.
    with i like :)