Calorie counting & weight loss

Options
Hi everyone, so let me know what you think.

Since we all here are counting our calories so do we NEED to excerise as well or is it just if you want results fast?
Any advice for a girl/guy that hates exercising? Don't get me wrong I have lost weight. But I'm sure there is other people out there wondering the same question.

Replies

• sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Exercise is a really vital part of losing weight. And, it's not just about losing weight, it's about being healthy! Living a sedentary lifestyle will be bad for you in the long run, even if you are skinny.

If you HATE working out, find something fun that you enjoy—maybe bowling? maybe just walking the dog or hiking? maybe learn how to dance, take a salsa class? Anything that gets you moving! It doesn't have to be hours on the treadmill. :)
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, so let me know what you think.

Since we all here are counting our calories so do we NEED to excerise as well or is it just if you want results fast?
    Any advice for a girl/guy that hates exercising? Don't get me wrong I have lost weight. But I'm sure there is other people out there wondering the same question.

you need to exercise.. the goal is ultimate health and you cant have that without exercise
  • Playingwithfire89
    Options
    You dont have to workout (some people even argue you shouldn't because it increases cravings.) but its great to get into a lifestyle where ur using your body

i would try:
    walking with friends while gossiping
    going to the mall and window shopping
    dancing to your fav music
    girl on top sex (if thats your kinda thing.)
    practicing sexy hip dancing/chair dance in front of mirror to club music (oddly fun, and u feel hott.)
    trying on all your favorite clothes
    planks during commercial break on tv
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    You can certainly lose weight without exercising. Do you want a stronger, leaner body? Do you want endurance and cardiovascular health as well? Then exercise.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others about exercise being beneficial for all kinds of things, including mental health and retaining muscle while trying to lean out.

But I don't think we need to go mad with it, unless you derive some kind of pleasure from it.

Some walking and a bit of bodyweight resistance is my lot, seems to be working OK for me.

As long as my nutrition is good then any exercise is secondary in my world.

I did a 9km walk yesterday but it wasn't to burn calories, it was to enjoy the walk. I'll play cricket on Sunday, I'll burn some calories, but that won't be the goal.

As for getting 'results fast' ... I would rather get there at a steady pace with some kind of lifestyle that I find sustainable.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others, an active lifestyle is part of a healthy lifestyle. You don't want to be a hunched over old lady with brittle bones later in life, do you? Studies say that just 2.5 hours of moderate exercise (jogging, strength training, etc.) per week adds 5.6 years to your life. It boosts heart health, helps your skin and improves your sleep. Also it just makes you look better, who wants a flabby skinny person? Try some strength training. You might surprise yourself!
  • praxisproject
    praxisproject Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Exercise doesn't have to be going to the gym, find an activity you enjoy. Walk a dog, stroll through a park, spend a few hours window shopping, wash a car by hand. If you're getting married in Jamaica, maybe swimming or long walks?
  • newbody2013
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice, I love going for walks and I'm going to start strength excerises who knows maybe I will like them :)
  • Melaniec78
    Melaniec78 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Your body will look completely different after losing the same amount of weight if you add in exercise. Most people even say after exercising with weight loss they wear smaller clothes than they have before at the same weight. I notice a huge difference in my body when I exercise compared to not and I go up and down all the time (*hopefully not this time) so I have experience to compare notes.
  • Sexyfish
    Options
    I totally agree with Sarahisme. Working out is about more then calories out. Its a healthy life.
  • marinebiologist_girl
    Options
    Technically you don't HAVE to exercise... it's just strongly reccomended.
  • Louie1956
    Louie1956 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Exercise is so difficult for me - - - - my body/joints HURT - - - - - but I know I must try!! My goal at this point is: not to let my head hit the pillow at night without moving my body in some additional way every day. NO MATTER HOW LITTLE!! Wish I could understand the mind set of those people who say - "I love to workout!!!" Not there for me!!
    A couple of absolutes for me are:
    Parking the car as far out in the parking lot as possible when I shop.
    Walking an extra lap around the mall
    Going to the mailbox at least one extra time - - - - when I know I've already gotten the mail!!!!!
    NEVER putting anything at the bottom of the stairs for the next trip up - - - take it UP NOW!!

/
  • fibronut
    Options
    Yes, you can lose weight without exercising. That's why, when you set up for profile, it figures out what your caloric intake should be to lose weight, even if you are quite sedentary.

Do you need to run marathons to lose weight? No. In fact, I know a few marathon runners that died in their early 50's -- some of the healthiest people I know! Do you want to lose weight and still have flabby arms and saggy skin? Exercise will help define your body as you lose weight, and it boosts your metabolism so yes, you will be able to lose it a bit faster.

I've never been one to like exercise. I've always had good intentions, and they always last about 2 weeks. I have a regular gym of unused fitness equipment. I recently found a site (http://www.livestrong.com/article/331310-wii-fit-workouts-for-the-obese/) that had some Wii Fit "games" for obese women, because I know I can't start off with a Jillian Michaels DVD. I have fibromyalgia, for one thing, and I'd be a hurting unit! I have a Wii Fit, and I alternate workouts on that with dancing to Gold's Gym Dance Workout. I've found I really like it, and miss it if I don't do it. So you have to find something active that you enjoy, whether it's traditional exercise, or gardening, or going for walks, or dancing ... and just do it regularly.

Best wishes!
  • Lissette_Brooks
    Lissette_Brooks Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You dont have to workout (some people even argue you shouldn't because it increases cravings.) but its great to get into a lifestyle where ur using your body

i would try:
    walking with friends while gossiping
    going to the mall and window shopping
    dancing to your fav music
    girl on top sex (if thats your kinda thing.)
    practicing sexy hip dancing/chair dance in front of mirror to club music (oddly fun, and u feel hott.)
    trying on all your favorite clothes
    planks during commercial break on tv

I like all of these ideas and I am going to try them all! Especially the on top fun time workout! :tongue:
  • MarissaCB39
    MarissaCB39 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Unless you sit in front of the TV all day you're not living a sedentary life which means your burning calories.

I don't "exercise" everyday or even every other day but I have 2 small kids that keep me so busy and make me sweat! I use that as my "exercise". Walking around the mall, or outside, chasing a ball or dancing are all ways I burn calories.

Personally I limit carbs and that has worked for me, also keeping my calories at 1200 - 1300/day. When I reach goal weight I might throw in some strength training. But I hate making myself exercise for a solid 30-40 minutes per day, it didn't work for me.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I think exercise is a good part of the whole "get fit" package. Skinny people with no muscle tone look just as bad as fat people with no muscle tone.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!