Rest Week

Options
What are peoples opinions/experiences on taking a full rest week or an active rest week from lifting/heavy working out? For those who do it how often?

Replies

• pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    About every 6-10 weeks my body just says, "no". When it does, I either skip all workouts for a week or I only swim (for me, swimming is the easiest and least impact). The next week, I'm back to normal.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I take a rest week once every 3 months. Real rest because active rest ain't rest. And dont be afraid to eat. You may go over calories with the exercise but that's ok, eating is part of the recovery
  • Cespuglio
    Cespuglio Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    This is comforting to hear. I took this week off because I got sick due to lack of rest, as a matter of fact! Although I know it's very necessary for my body to have this break from the heavy lifting and cardio, I was a little worried.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    What are peoples opinions/experiences on taking a full rest week or an active rest week from lifting/heavy working out? For those who do it how often?

Once every 12 weeks is reasonable in my opinion.
  • knittingwitch
    knittingwitch Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    this is good to hear, I just am not motivated this week and I've been under the weather I've been doing work outs but no where near what I usually do. And at least I'm under my calories. :D
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I did a reset in August and took two rest weeks during that time as well. When I resumed exercising I felt stronger and had more endurance. I say rest weeks can be beneficial.
  • Pace29
    Pace29 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks i've read that people actually come back stronger after a rest week. it's hard to do when you workout all the time. but next week i may attempt it. It's been a while since i took several days off.
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I train in cycles for sports and rest weeks are an absolute requirement for my body. I always come back feeling amazing. Mine avg every 4 months and I try hard to do complete rest. Like no intense cardio, light walking is ok.