Eating too much after losing weight

Does anyone else have this problem? I'll lose a few pounds, be happy about it, and then I'll go on an eating spree. I don't get back on track, and I gain it right back plus some. For example: yesterday I weighed myself and I had lost 4 lbs. Tonight after work, I ate horribly....I don't even want to say how much. Normally, this would make me feel like I can't lose weight...I can't even control myself when I know better. I knew I shouldn't have driven to the store after work, I should have gone home and fixed myself a decent meal. I tend to take the 'all or nothing' approach with food. I knew I was going to go over my calories with this, so I said what the heck and ate whatever I wanted. Its that attitude that's gotten me fat. If I want something sweet, I don't settle for one cupcake, I buy the six pack just for myself.

I figure I'm not the only one on here who does this, we're all here because we need to get healthier. Does anyone have any tips, ideas, advice? Brutal honesty? I'd appreciate any input!

Replies

• I think I found my TWIN! lol
    word per word.. identical..
    Bump!
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Rewarding yourself with food is a tricky thing....it's like a drug addict saying since they've been clean for a week they can shoot up just a little. Is it ok to have a cheat meal every once in a while? Of course!!! But try not to overdo it when you do. Or sneek in an extra workout. Don't get down on yourself. Just keep on trying hard and you can do it!!!
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    You just described close to 50% of the people on this site I'd say!

It is soooo common, emotional eating, binging, rewarding yourself for being 'good'. It happens for an awful lot of people.

I think the only way you can change it is with training over time, and fundamentally a shift in the way you view your body and its relationship with food. This is where a tool like MFP becomes so useful. By keeping a log of what you eat, you force yourself to be accountable. You no longer (or at least I no longer) have an 'all or nothing' view like I used to. A bad choice doesn't turn into a bad day, week, month.... it is just one choice in isolation.

I know I don't have to live on salads and steamed chicken to lose weight. I have foods very regularly that people on a 'diet' would cringe at, but in the context of my eating overall, it matters very little if I have a bowl of icecream, some chocolate or a slice of cake - even every day if I want it!

Just stick to logging and keeping yourself accountable to your goals (without making them ridiculously strict) and over time you will see a change.
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    i'm the opposite. if i noticed that i have lost weight then i don't want food that much. i guess i enjoy my new body more than eating. but if i am stuck in unhealthy eating habits for months then i want food more than anything, even though i get to eat what i want every day.
  • martyv73
    martyv73 Posts: 32 Member
    *bump*
    it's almost like i have to make up for losing????
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    So last year it took me 7 months to lose 24lbs, 1lb form my goal weight. One of my mini goals was to go out with the girls and look hot which i did and then it was December, cold weather and holidays, i just stopped working out and started eating a lot again and eating the junk foods. So now i am 19lbs from my goal weight because i have been sabotaging myself all year. Yah i suck.
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    One day might set you back, but its up to you what you want to do about it. Everyone has setbacks, some people dont lose weight as fast as others. But as long as you stick it out, get back counting and on the treadmill the next day, Id say dont beat yourself up too much about it. Food should still be enjoyable.
    Its taken me almost 9 months to lose 25-30lbs. I get disheartened sometimes when I see others with more progress or when I plateau. But I just keep going. I want this too much to give up now.
    Make a list of reasons why you dont want to give up. You can do this.
  • EdieCl
    EdieCl Posts: 9 Member
    Thanks everyone for the advice and support! Its nice to know that you're not alone in this. Every day is a fight to improve myself, on the inside too...not just my body.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Yes. Don't diet. Never, ever diet. Change habits. It's not temporary. If you want to keep it off, it has to be a realistic eating pattern that you can continue for the rest of your life.