Calorie cycling for weight gaining???

Options
I would consider myself a hard gainer and what I mean by that is I don't gain weigh easily ..my metabolism seems to equalize itself so that I stop being able to gain and can only maintain (or crazily enough even lose) on what ever amount I eat over a period of time.

I had wanted to avoid a heavy duty bulk and instead tried just upping my calories a small amount (+ 200) but it is not working at all. All I have done is bounce between losing and gaining the same 2lbs.. I have gained before on 2300 and am currently maintaining on 2000. So I was thinking of doing weekly cycles ..I have looked at TDEE calculators but they don't seem to apply due to my ridiculous metabolism. I am lifting weights. (Slow and heavy) and avoiding cardio like the plague and I eat back my calories ..

Can anyone advise on whether this type of cycling can work or make suggestions on other cycling methods. Please don't just suggest I eat more, I am pushing myself with 2000-2300. I need to shock my body a bit! So any tips on slowing down metabolism would be appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• eireannyoung
    eireannyoung Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Bump because I'm in the same position and would love to hear this info as well!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I would consider myself a hard gainer and what I mean by that is I don't gain weigh easily ..my metabolism seems to equalize itself so that I stop being able to gain and can only maintain (or crazily enough even lose) on what ever amount I eat over a period of time.

I had wanted to avoid a heavy duty bulk and instead tried just upping my calories a small amount (+ 200) but it is not working at all. All I have done is bounce between losing and gaining the same 2lbs.. I have gained before on 2300 and am currently maintaining on 2000. So I was thinking of doing weekly cycles ..I have looked at TDEE calculators but they don't seem to apply due to my ridiculous metabolism. I am lifting weights. (Slow and heavy) and avoiding cardio like the plague and I eat back my calories ..

Can anyone advise on whether this type of cycling can work or make suggestions on other cycling methods. Please don't just suggest I eat more, I am pushing myself with 2000-2300. I need to shock my body a bit! So any tips on slowing down metabolism would be appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance!

i am not sure what you are asking? if you gain on 2300, eat 2300, no?

if you struggle with the extra, maybe stay at 2000 a bit longer to get used to the amount of food you need to eat. if you are going for calorie dense food, and chosing full fat options instead of low fat, then the volumn of food doesnt need to increase drastically.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Because I don't want to do a solid 2300 a day bulk for an extended period of time ..all it does over the long run is speed up my metabolism. So that I stop gaining ...I need a way to shake up my metabolism so that's why I want to try zigzaging the calories ...

I just need to know if I should zigzag on a weekly basis or on a day to day basis and what methods others may have used..

Thanks in advance!

if you struggle with the extra, maybe stay at 2000 a bit longer to get used to the amount of food you need to eat. if you are going for calorie dense food, and chosing full fat options instead of low fat, then the volumn of food doesnt need to increase drastically.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Because I don't want to do a solid 2300 a day bulk for an extended period of time ..all it does over the long run is speed up my metabolism. So that I stop gaining ...I need a way to shake up my metabolism so that's why I want to try zigzaging the calories ...

I just need to know if I should zigzag on a weekly basis or on a day to day basis and what methods others may have used..

Thanks in advance!

Nonsense. Once you stop gaining eat more.

The reasoning behind calorie cycling is having more calories on days you need them most. Regarding weight gain and weight loss, you need to look at it from a weekly standpoint and not daily.

That being said, there is no benefit over you eating 2300 calories every single day.
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/zig-zag-bulking-approach.html

That article is super short but the most helpful one I could find. Also I don't think the Zig Zag Bulk is as amazing as the author makes it sound lol

But for me, I hated eating a million calories every single day. Every morning, I always felt like I'd never be able to reach my goal number by the end of the day. At one point, I noticed that as long as I do a surplus of 3500 for the entire week.... I'll still gain at least half a pound. So give that a shot. I know a lot of us have bulkers burn out, so things like this can help :)
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    2300 calories sounds way too low to make any meaningful size gains. If you aren't gaining weight, you aren't eating enough.

I gain about 1 lb/wk eating 4200 cal/day on average @ around 200 lbs (gross, 3200/day net).

How are you estimating strength training calories? Chances are that's going to be your problem, underestimating strength training calories causes you to eat a lot less than you think you should.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    It's no wonder you're struggling.

Put your carbs closer to 60%
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/zig-zag-bulking-approach.html

That article is super short but the most helpful one I could find. Also I don't think the Zig Zag Bulk is as amazing as the author makes it sound lol

But for me, I hated eating a million calories every single day. Every morning, I always felt like I'd never be able to reach my goal number by the end of the day. At one point, I noticed that as long as I do a surplus of 3500 for the entire week.... I'll still gain at least half a pound. So give that a shot. I know a lot of us have bulkers burn out, so things like this can help :)

Thanks Wayyy...that is exactly what I am looking for, I just need to try something different for a few weeks. Try to shake things up. Though the 5000 "monster day" scares the shiz out of me!
    2300 calories sounds way too low to make any meaningful size gains. If you aren't gaining weight, you aren't eating enough.

I gain about 1 lb/wk eating 4200 cal/day on average @ around 200 lbs (gross, 3200/day net).

How are you estimating strength training calories? Chances are that's going to be your problem, underestimating strength training calories causes you to eat a lot less than you think you should.

But note I am a 100lb girl, my bulking level will be lower than a man of your size, I did my first bulk on 2300 a day+ exercise calories. I use a HRM I know it over estimates, but I think that is a plus in my case.
    It's no wonder you're struggling.

Put your carbs closer to 60%

I think I will put up my fat too. Thanks
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    It's that fat that is giving you satiety that is making it difficult to eat more.

You can deliberately spike your insulin to make it so you'll crave food more.
    Pretty much take the majority of the tips you see on this site and you can use them backwards to gain.

Obviously, gaining the right sort of weight is where it gets complicated.