How to gain muscle tone ? ( for women)

Options
Hi, I had a baby a year ago and have lost all the baby weight and abit more,
Now I've been left with a shapeless body and I hate it, I'm got a gym membership
And am pretty good at sticking to diets, but to be honest I don't kno what to do? I don't care
How much I weigh anymore just wanna be solid and curvy , I think it's got something to do with protein ain't it ?
Lool plz help

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    lift weights.. heavy weights.

look up strong lifts. you dont even have to "diet" that much go for like a pound loss at most (500 calories below maintenance) and you'll shed a lot of fat but still keep or even build lean body mass

as for staying solid and curvy, weighted squats and deadlifts build a nice high and firm booty :laugh:
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Yes. agree with above. If you have a gym membership, go and start using the weights. You would be best following a programme as you sound like it's not something you have tried before. I follow New Rules of Lifting For Women. I heard about it on here and bought the book from Amazon. It's a great start, and the first stage which lasts about 6 weeks is perfect for beguinners. It's also has sections about nutrition and protein intake.

I would maybe take someone to the gym with you who's familiar with lifting so they can guide you as to good form etc.

If you don't want to go to the gym a lot of the exercises can be done at home as well. Obviously you would have to invest in some weights though for that.

I have also read that Stronglifts is good, there are plenty of lifting programmes avaliable on the net. Just make sure you start slowly and take care not to overdo it in the early days.
  • squatmami
    squatmami Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys I think that's where I've been going wrong
    I've just been doing cardio and trying to cut carbs down lol
  • annabell48
    Options
    I definately agree with using the weights at the gym as well. You can also use your body weight to help gain muscle. You do need to have enough protein in your diet to help with the muscle gain with the weight training. Best thing I can suggest is pay a personal trainer for a session, and he/she can work with you as far as weight training goes (free weights and weight machines) as well as establishing a routine for you to do. This way if you want to work out at home and have the dumbbells you can do the weight training at home as well. I did this a few years ago and need to get back to doing my weight training on a set schedule.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Does your gym have a free intro session with a trainer? If so, take advantage. Have him/her show you the weights and the proper way to use them. Also have them give you a program that you can use to get you started.
  • panzerduff
    panzerduff Posts: 21 Member
    Options

look up strong lifts. you dont even have to "diet" that much go for like a pound loss at most (500 calories below maintenance) and you'll shed a lot of fat but still keep or even build lean body mass

as for staying solid and curvy, weighted squats and deadlifts build a nice high and firm booty :laugh:

this is spot on. would of said the exact same thing.

just keep in mind, the weight on the scale might throw you off if you do this, because you'll gain a little bit of muscle mass regardless of your caloric deficit or not (noob gains). your weight loss will slow, but you'll lean out nicely and your bodyfat % will get lower.
  • KitchenAbs
    Options
    I'm doing Strong Lifts and it is the best and easiest program I've ever done in the three years I've been lifting. Plus it's free to download from the website
  • wishiwerefit
    Options
    Thank you for all the info
  • steffo365
    steffo365 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options

This! And also my reasons that my once flat & saggy booty is now well-rounded.
  • Joannie30
    Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
    Options

How heavy would you suggest? I've been using 3kg- i know thats a really girly weight before anyone says it but i wanted to start out light as i'm an absolute beginner.
  • VAMommyAgain
    VAMommyAgain Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I COMPLETELY agree about lifting heavy!!! I've been doing the New Rules of Lifting for Women...the book was very informative about a lot of things...reducing cardio and lifting heavy in particular. There are six stages with two workouts each so it's never boring. The author helps you re: figuring out how much weight is enough (basically you want to be sure you're going light enough to have proper form but heavy enough that it's challenging...then every workout you try to increase the weight for at least a few of the exercises). I absolutely love it!!!

ps...your local library probably has it
  • Juliane_
    Juliane_ Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    great tips....
  • squatmami
    squatmami Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the great tips :)